• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

lorikeet help

kerrymk

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kerry
Hi ya....we have had a female Rainbow Lorikeet for around 3 years.....shes laying 2 eggs a month......not fertile because we dont have a male, is it best to leave the eggs with her for a time or take them? Understand it takes a lot out of the poor bird......any info would be much appreciated....my local vet mentioned an implant, but they dont do it locally here and im wondering if there is anything else that works?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Kerry :)

2 eggs a month is a serious amount (in a bad way).

my local vet mentioned an implant, but they dont do it locally here
Did they say if it was possible to travel somewhere to get the treatment? Maybe the next city over etc?

RavenClaw

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Merlotte
Hi ya....we have had a female Rainbow Lorikeet for around 3 years.....shes laying 2 eggs a month......not fertile because we dont have a male, is it best to leave the eggs with her for a time or take them? Understand it takes a lot out of the poor bird......any info would be much appreciated....my local vet mentioned an implant, but they dont do it locally here and im wondering if there is anything else that works?
This is called chronic reproductive syndrome.

First, let me ask have you tried changing the bird's diet to see if that helps?

Further, have you displayed any signs of courtship such as stroking the bird on the body or under the wings?

Because, providing more details on what you done, should help someone with more practial expertise than me, in solving this problem.

Last edited: