• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lorikeet baby beaks and licks EVERYTHING

beaktomie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tomie Davis
I am new to owning lorikeets, and let me preface this by saying I love this baby. I’ve never met a more confident bird, maybe that’s a lorikeet thing..
But thing is, she beaks and licks EVERYTHING, and she does it quite hard. My fingers and phone are her favourites, there is no rest. When she beaks too hard I snatch my fingers away, say “No, too hard” in a low voice and place her away from me, and ignore her. She just runs back to me and continues to beak.
Is there anything else I could be doing, and will this behaviour get better with age?
I’ve owned four cockatiels in the past and never had this problem with any of them, so I realise it’s probably a lorikeet thing. She’s only 14 weeks old, so is it baby exploring behaviour?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Tomie, Welcome to the Avenue :)

Earlier this year I babysat a young lory and he would lick me with that weird tongue quite a lot. I´m not sure if it is normal. He didn´t nip or beak though, just lick.
I´ll tag @minkylory , they may know a lot more than me!

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
I am new to owning lorikeets, and let me preface this by saying I love this baby. I’ve never met a more confident bird, maybe that’s a lorikeet thing..
But thing is, she beaks and licks EVERYTHING, and she does it quite hard. My fingers and phone are her favourites, there is no rest. When she beaks too hard I snatch my fingers away, say “No, too hard” in a low voice and place her away from me, and ignore her. She just runs back to me and continues to beak.
Is there anything else I could be doing, and will this behaviour get better with age?
I’ve owned four cockatiels in the past and never had this problem with any of them, so I realise it’s probably a lorikeet thing. She’s only 14 weeks old, so is it baby exploring behaviour?
I raised my lorikeet from about 4-5 weeks old and started getting bitey and licky at about that age too. I think its just a lorikeet thing, my 15 y/o lorikeet licks a lot as well. mine still bites but its 80% of the time a play thing, other times its doing something that he didn't like (even if you didn't do anything). when they get overstimulated they tend to bite as well. hope this makes sense :D haha

beaktomie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tomie Davis
I raised my lorikeet from about 4-5 weeks old and started getting bitey and licky at about that age too. I think its just a lorikeet thing, my 15 y/o lorikeet licks a lot as well. mine still bites but its 80% of the time a play thing, other times its doing something that he didn't like (even if you didn't do anything). when they get overstimulated they tend to bite as well. hope this makes sense :D haha
Thanks!! good to know it seems to be a lorikeet thing, the breeder didn’t seem too concerned about it either lol.
I think she’s just a really playful bird but I’m still gonna do my best to correct her when she bites too hard, I don’t want her biting my finger off when she gets bigger lol.

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
Thanks!! good to know it seems to be a lorikeet thing, the breeder didn’t seem too concerned about it either lol.
I think she’s just a really playful bird but I’m still gonna do my best to correct her when she bites too hard, I don’t want her biting my finger off when she gets bigger lol.
don't worry too much, mine only bite really hard if you startle them. just remember to try not make any reaction lol.