• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Lorien seems very sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
One of my Fischers "Lorien" seems very sick. I'm not sure he's going to survive the night. He seems very weak and is breathing hard. Looks like his stools are all liquid too. I have no idea what it could be and my avian vet isn't open right now. He doesn't seem to want to eat any food. I've given him everything....pellets, seeds, broccoli. I don't know what to do. I'm praying he survives the night so I can call the vet tomorrow morning.

This is a pic I took of him a couple days ago after his bath.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Do you have some handfeeding mash you can give him? Have him under heat? I'm so sorry. :( It's so heartbreaking when they're sick. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I'm moving this to the 911 section where more folks will see it

do you have him in a smaller cage with an extra heat source

have you called your vet? many have after hours service

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
They don't. I just checked on him and he was in the bottom corner of the cage. I'm holding him now and crying since it doesn't look good.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
it's important to keep him warm -

have you seen him eat or drink anything recently - will he take a few drops of water from your fingertip or eyedropper/syringe?

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
He wasn't eating anything or drinking anything. I did what tracy said...I made a quick mash. I mashed a banana with some water and some Mazuri breeder pellets. I did get some in. I'm keeping him warm right now by holding him. I'll make him a warm nest in one of the carriers and pray he makes it through the night so I can get him to the vet.

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
I remeber marian warming up a bottle of water and wrapping it with a paper towel when Squeeky was sick. That would be a quick and easy heat source if you have one on hand.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Aww poor guy. :( If you can heat him right up, I would also ad some humidity, it really can help. I hope he pulls through. At least he got some in, the fluid is so important. Keep us posted. I'll say a little prayer for the little guy. :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that your little one will be ok :hug8:

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
That's an idea Zach. I was just trying to think what I could use for heat as I don't have a heating pad or hot water bottle.

I was able to feed him a tiny bit more of the mash. I have him in the carrier right now wrapped in an old white cotton T-shirt. I formed it into a nest and I covered him almost all the way up but I was still able to see his face.

I don't know if I should just leave him alone now for the night, or keep checking on him regularly.

Katana

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katana
I'm sorry to hear Lorien is sick and you have to wait to see the vet. It's so very tough when they aren't feeling well. I hope he pulls through and feels better soon!

The water bottles suggested in an earlier post really does work (although when I had to do it, I wrapped each bottles in a large hand towel.), especially with tenting the cage/enclosure by covering 3 sides with a sheet. I'm glad he took some of the mash from you. Giving him oatmeal with your hands may be another option.

MBS

Jogging around the block
I really hope he pulls through. You're doing all that you can for him right now, and he knows you love him.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
oh Tim :hug8::hug8::hug8:
I hope the lil one feels better :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
do you have a heating pad you can drape over part of the carrier?

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I don't have a heating pad. He's covered by the T-shirt, and now I covered the carrier as well almost 80%. I'll heat a couple of bottles of water and stick them in the carrier. The heat should be retained in th carrier since it's covered now.

So should I let him go for the night? Or should I be trying to feed him more through the night?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
the hot water filled bottles wrapped in a towel will work

he needs to rest too, but if it were me, I would check on him every few hours and offer a little thin mash

how much would you estimate he has eaten or drank today compared to normal (like maybe half of what he normally does or less than that? )

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
He was nibbling earlier in the day, but when I started to become worried about how he was looking and acting, I put a bowl of everything in the cage to see if he would eat. He went to the bowl but just perched on it looking very weak. He is always on the front of the cage when he thinks I have food.
Then he just started looking worse and worse until I saw him on the floor of the cage in the corner. I've always heard it was over at that point. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.