• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lori has lost his voice

jackiek

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie
Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone else’s Lori have lost their voice. Have just gotten back from avian vet who said he seems fine and to take him back in a few days if he doesn’t get it back. He’s happy, eating well, his poop was tested. She looked down his throat. Amd his breathing is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance. Jackie.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Did your vet perform a blood panel?

I do not have experience with a parrot losing their voice. I did have a chicken who did from an infection. She was treated with antibiotics and recovered fully.

See if you can find out more from the vet.

I do not have experience with a parrot in this state. So I am also curious to follow this thread and to learn more myself.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What is the humitidy level where your birds cage is located?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One of the first indications of a bird having Aspergillosis (a fungal infection) is a change or loss of their voice. Loss of voice can also be caused by a bacterial infection on the syrnix. Aspergillosis is a very serious disease and needs to be addressed immediately. It has a very high mortality rate in birds.

A bacterial infection (depending on the bacteria causing the infection) can also be serious, but can be treated more easily.

Why don't you call your vet and ask if there is any chance that it can be Aspergillosis?

jackiek

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie
Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone else’s Lori have lost their voice. Have just gotten back from avian vet who said he seems fine and to take him back in a few days if he doesn’t get it back. He’s happy, eating well, his poop was tested. She looked down his throat. Amd his breathing is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance. Jackie.

jackiek

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie
One of the first indications of a bird having Aspergillosis (a fungal infection) is a change or loss of their voice. Loss of voice can also be caused by a bacterial infection on the syrnix. Aspergillosis is a very serious disease and needs to be addressed immediately. It has a very high mortality rate in birds.

A bacterial infection (depending on the bacteria causing the infection) can also be serious, but can be treated more easily.

Why don't you call your vet and ask if there is any chance that it can be Aspergillosis?
Thank you. I will do that.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Humidity best above 30 percent if a bird is in your home. We use humidifiers in the winter.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry he's sick but it sounds like your being a GREAT parront & giving him the treatments he needs! :bighug:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh Jackie :( I am so sorry for your loss. Truly sad news.

If it helps bring you closure you can get a necropsy preformed.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry! :sorrow: The Necropsy can give you the fine details of what went wrong. Ultimately, I've found that the answer doesn't always fill the missing hours in the day of talking, playing & laughing. :sadhug:

jackiek

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie
Thank you so much. No it doesn’t. That’s so true. I get the results for Chlamydia psittaci at the end of the month.