• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looks like she’s leaving me for my husband :(

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
One of my Senegals has been acting weird for a few days. She’s been nippy, then outright biting me, and today she’s yelling and lounging at me :( I was very confused since I’ve had her for over four months and she’s been super sweet to me the whole time.
So I had an idea.... I asked my husband to come over to the cage. Immediately she lowered her head for him to scratch and looked very content with him nearby. Nooooooo! :( looks like he has become her “mate”. The issue is that my husband likes birds well enough but they are MY kids and pride and joy. He’s not interested in doting on them. I’ve asked him to stop interacting with her and I’m hoping to win her back. Anything else I can do? She’s about 6 years old so she has gone though puberty.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This happened to me too with my husband and my Quaker. I was the only one who did any of the bird stuff, only one who did training, treats, etc, and I was suddenly chop liver. I would say it took me at least 6 months for him to stop flying away everytime I approached, and probably another 6 months for me to get back into his graces enough to pet him, sadly.

I will say the harder I tried, the harder he resisted, so try to give her some space to come back around :) I know it's so hard to not feel hurt by this. I've been there for sure!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Parrotlets can get this way too. I have one, Picard, he is deeply in love with my partner. I do all the care, feeding, etc. Those two just love each other. I do not mind personally. I think it is awesome my partner has a little bird buddy. Picard is his first bird. Especially a bird with this special bond.

If I give Picard heaps of space he is less fiesty toward me... sometimes he will accept scritches. I do not expect we will ever be close like I am with my other birds, and that is ok! I still enjoy his cuteness.. even if it is from afar.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Awwwww, it happens. :hug8: We can't really control who a bird (or person) likes. I am sure you can both have your own special relationship with her. Who knows - maybe because of it, your husband will become more interested in your birds. :) Chico (Panama Amazon) used to only like male humans. 5 years later, after a lot of work in gaining his trust, I can now skritch him and he welcomes me as he used to a male human. Still every time a male human visits I get them to say hello to Chico because I love seeing Chico happy.

I wouldn't attempt to touch her whilst your husband is in the same room because it is teaching her to bite. The more she bites, the more she is learning to bite in that situation. Try working with her when your husband is out. Just keep pairing yourself with wonderful experiences for her. Praise, singing, whistling, treats, handing her a favourite toy, taking her to an interesting window etc. - whatever she finds reinforcing. Might have to start hands off as has been suggested. :)