• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking to train my bird with a harness, any tips would be appreciated

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
Can anyone please give me some tips on harness training my 12ish month old Alexandrine parrot Samson

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you already got the harness?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You used to get a DVD with the Aviator. I wonder if they still give that out with the harness.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Looks like they sell the one that comes with the DVD.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hate that they are making everyone use internet for so many things- not everyone has internet. I actually know more people without it than with it- it does not even work for people who are about 5 mins away from my home, they have no phone reception either...

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
With almost everything and almost every situation, I'm of the opinion that our interactions with our birds should be positive and voluntary, without fear.

Starting from there, it's a matter of slowly introducing the harness, and backing off when they give signals that they're not comfortable.

I found it a clumsy thing to manipulate at first, but as with everything it becomes more smooth with practice. Even figuring out which way it goes isn't automatic at first ("is this thing upside down and inside out, or both?"). Not only are they learning to accept the harness, we're learning while introducing it. That said, with one of my guys (a Severe Macaw) it's got to the point where he'll put his own head through the centre loop, expects his left wing to be the first through the strap, expects the slack to be pulled to his right wing, lifts his right wing to pull through that loop, knows I'll straighten everything, tighten the buckle, and straighten again, then he lifts his foot because he knows he will step up and we'll go somewhere.

If you've ever seen a parent put clothes on a limp young child (even if they're not resisting, they're also not helping), versus a parent and child who are in a rhythm for the process -- it's akin to that from my perspective.

It took some time because we went slow.

It will also depend on the overall relationship with the bird as a starting point -- if they already trust, then we're pretty far ahead when introducing new behaviours.

I'd say I'm 50% there with my Military, and 0% there with my Conure (who, despite trusting me in other aspects of life, flies away when she sees that very scary spiderweb-looking thing).

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
well ill definatelly give it all a go thanks for the feedback, ive ordered it so should be here soon hopefully. Wouldn't they chew through it since birds like mine do love chewing i cant imagine the rope is that strong?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The material is actually stronger than it looks (think seatbelts), the elastic and the clip holding the two different materials together is also pretty strong.
I mean I wouldn’t leave it for your bird to work on with chewing through it but it should be well strong enough for Samson.

Burt never broke his but he also wasn’t ever left unattended with it to chew it up.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Here is a direct link to the Aviator tips video;

Another tips video by Barbara Heidenreich;

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
I think the best tips to give when harness training is to be patient! The outcome will be well worth the wait!
Also, give plenty of treats when you are getting them used to putting the harness on and taking it off!

Happy journeys!