• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking into jardines

Curtise Gill

Moving in
Real Name
Curtise
Hello there bird folk. After a few months of poking around yalls forums. I have decided to join, And really what i need is advice. i grew up with cockatiels, and now that im settling down with my family in our own home. I want to bring a birdie in. I am stuck between the jardines, and the hahns macaw. The jardines are just the most beautiful birds ive seen. The seem even tempered, All around great birds. But because they are rare i havent been able to interact with any. On the other hand i have seen a couple of hahns and they seem friendly. Any help would be great.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi and welcome to AA. My biggest suggestion is to somehow meet and intereact with jardines. There are 2 of them at our local parrot club every month. They are beautiful birds don't get me wrong but have a very shrill call. These noises are very personal. Whay what human finds shrill another may not mind. So, I strongly urge you to meet some irl.

Curtise Gill

Moving in
Real Name
Curtise
Thanks for the advice. I cant seem to find any i can play with in central fl. And im so drawn to them i cant let the rareness affect me getting one. The mode i ponder it, the more i believe the hahns might not be what im looking for. If anyone has had any experiences with these beauties, I would love to hear from you. My heart is set on the jardines, but i would love to hear about b4 i make my purchase. Thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Curtise Gill

Moving in
Real Name
Curtise
Mizzely, thanks for the references. I have read these. They just dont hold the information im looking for( not trying to be difficult :p ) to be honest, im not sure what information im looking for... Just a base line of data i can pull from i guess. To see the extremes of this bird. From what ive read this is the most average bird on earth. Lol good with everything, great at none. I would like to hear what jardiens owners haveto say about there little guys. Ive yet to find a video of one talking, do they speak to yall? How are the dietary needs? I know they need more calcium than most birds.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I don't know where in Florida, but I know Jean Pattison is based there, and she definitely breeds Jardine's. I don't know if she keeps an open or closed aviary, but you might contact her to start. Even if it's closed, I'm sure she can direct you to Florida bird stores to which she sells her babies. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a Jardine's in Florida to meet in person.

I almost chose a Jardine's instead of my Cape Parrot-- they're both the larger two poicephalus and in some ways are very similar. The tend to be on the quieter side (although they can definitely be loud and have very high pitched calls), although if you were considering a mini macaw, I don't think their volume would bother you. Pois tend to be very smart but also very stubborn. The big thing that scared me away from Jardine's however, was reading about what is commonly referred to online as "J'attitude," basically a term for their terrible two's/adolescence period. I'd definitely do some research about that.

Regarding talking ability, no parrot is ever guaranteed to talk, so if that's very important to you, you might consider adopting an adult who already talks rather than a baby. Lola didn't talk until she was over a year old. As for dietary needs, from what I've read they are like most parrots, with the one exception of the calcium that you've already mentioned. Calcium can be challenging to get into a bird's diet though-- the Feeding Feathers group, for example, does not recommend ever supplementing outside of pellets (there was just a thread on this in the Facebook group if you're interested)-- so you'd probably want to make sure to keep your Jardine's on a high quality pellet and make pellets a significant percentage of the diet.

Curtise Gill

Moving in
Real Name
Curtise
That was a well stated response. I appreciate your input. The talking isnt a factor to me. I was just curious if they do. And i will defiantly see about getting ahold of her. Thanks for your help in this.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
African Queen Aviaries I called Jean one time and she readily came to the phone. I am sure she would speak to you about any African species.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please let us know what happens.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a big fan of Pois although never had experience with Jardine's. Hope you hear back from Jean. If I were to get a Jardine's I would probably go through her.
Pois in general are very intelligent, inquisitve and animated and agree with @lotus15 that they can also be VERY stubborn.

One example of talking Jardine's:

There are more on youtube.