• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for your thoughts?

CVK1228

Moving in
Hello,

I have a nest full of baby parakeets (5) the first one hatched 2 1/2 weeks ago and so on. The parents are already mating again! Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

This is my first breeding budgies/clutch. Exciting, but not sure about more so soon! Doesn’t the mother need time to rejuvenate a bit? Will she kick out the babies too soon?

Hmmmm?

Thanks for any and all replies,
Carolyn

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Mating doesn't necessarily mean eggs,it also reinforces their relationship. So long as they still take care of the chicks they should be okay.
Are you ready in case they do get abandoned though? It's a good idea to read through the other threads and get any equipment you may need now, it's a bit late to go shopping when they already need your help.
@Zara has a list.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just wonder if this is also the birds first clutch ? If they are young or inexperienced, they might lay more eggs. So definitely something to watch out for.
If you spot any eggs in the box, just remove them.
get any equipment you may need now, it's a bit late to go shopping when they already need your help.
@Zara has a list.
I would hope all the equipment and products would have been bought already by now. But things you should always have on hand,
-Hand rearing formula
-Feeding utensil - I use syringes but always recommend feeding spoons to a novice
-Candy thermometer to check formula temperature
-brooder
-heating pad if your brooder is not a professional one
-Aspen shavings - Course pine is ok if you can´t get aspen. Never fine pine, and never ever cedar.
-Thermometer (digital) for monitoring brooder temperature
-Hygrometer for monitoring humidity inside the brooder
-Weighing scales - you can use a gram scale, or as your birds are budgies, a 0.01 scale
-Pedialyte, or natural unflavoured coconut water
-Papaya
-Nursery cage with plenty of perches (to move the birds into after they fledge)

You could also look at getting liquid supplements (should the adults needs them), discuss this with your vet.

You will also need a disinfectant on hand to sterilize your tools. Something like (here it´s ¨clorexidina¨, which I believe would be Chlorhexidina, or Chlorhexidine?). Leave to air dry completely.

If there´s anything I´ve said that you don´t have, I would be purchasing them quickly so that you have them on hand.

If you are going to sell the chicks for money, then really taking them for a check up at the vet before they go would be a good idea, to be sure you are only selling healthy chicks.
It is helpful when you have chicks, to inform your vet, so that they are aware, should anything go wrong and you need emergency help.

Given that the parents are mating, be sure to check all the chicks crops to be sure they are getting fed. If you see any not fed, give the hen a half hour or so to feed them, but if she doesn´t, pull that chick for hand rearing.

Welcome to the Avenue Carolyn :)

Reactions: tka

CVK1228

Moving in
Wow..thanks for some good advice. I’ve got most of the things I need other than a brooder and thermometer, which I guess I didn’t realize I needed...but it makes sense. What do I need the scale for? Just good measure to weigh the babies to make sure they are thriving?

Not selling my babies, but will likely share with a friend or two.

I have another large cage set up and ready for separation at a later time, but not small and cozy.

So far they are still being taken care of well by their mother. I think she is 2 1/2 or close to 3, while the male is younger (about a year or so). Can’t be totally sure of their ages, as I adopted from someone that was rehoming.

At what point should I remove one of the parents to prevent another clutch? In the future, should I separate my cages by sexes?

I attached a pic just for fun. Took them out of their nest briefly for cleaning. F06050C8-6BED-46BB-898C-EC03DE7437C1.jpeg F0C08E75-9E81-400F-9C90-25A43E33BDCE.jpeg

CVK1228

Moving in
I would love to see pics of your macaw. I’m hoping one day to have one. I think they are so beautiful and interesting. I think I’ll make sure that I have no other high maintenance animals when I take the leap.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What do I need the scale for? Just good measure to weigh the babies to make sure they are thriving?
Exactly.

Not selling my babies, but will likely share with a friend or two.
That´s nice. Be sure that they are eating on their own for a good two weeks before sending them on their way.

At what point should I remove one of the parents to prevent another clutch? In the future, should I separate my cages by sexes?
Simply remove any eggs laid. If your birds are bonded it´s not fair to split them. If they are not bonded, then you could split by sexes, though I´m not sure how that would work with flock dynamics. Maybe @Ripshod would have better advice on how to house the birds later on.

Chicks look good. Just keep your eye on the little pinky one to be sure he´s getting fed and the elders and not pushing him out of the way.