• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for tips to help fearful budgies

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think you’re being too hard on yourself.
The choice about bringing another home is ultimately yours but if the worst thing your current birds are subjected to is being forced into a carrier for a vet trip because they are not yet accepting of the carrier and you have a vet appointment then I think you need to accept that and not take it so personally. Shove them in and go back to working in training when the trip is over.
Burt has had to be physically pried off me and forced into his carrier (after every vet visit and after some interactions with strangers when we’ve been out) and yes it broke some trust but I earned it back over time and you will too.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! Yes, last night was not a good one!

I think you’re being too hard on yourself.
It's one of my greatest talents, lol!

The choice about bringing another home is ultimately yours but if the worst thing your current birds are subjected to is being forced into a carrier for a vet trip because they are not yet accepting of the carrier and you have a vet appointment then I think you need to accept that and not take it so personally. Shove them in and go back to working in training when the trip is over.
Burt has had to be physically pried off me and forced into his carrier (after every vet visit and after some interactions with strangers when we’ve been out) and yes it broke some trust but I earned it back over time and you will too.
Thank you for sharing that, @Shezbug. Yes, I know that I just need to 'put on my big girl pants' and deal. I mean, I'm not going to stop this whole adoption process just because I have to take the boys to the vet. Plus, the boys could use a nail trim anyway, lol! It was just a really bad night for my confidence as a bird parent.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well it was quite the usual rodeo getting them into the carrier this morning, but we all made it! Lol!

And...we just finished a pretty good training session for recall and learning their names so that I can call one of them to me at a time. I’ve also begun ‘step down’, which means please step onto the perch (whatever perch that may be) from my hand.

Eight months until my next well visit! Lol!