• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Looking for Specific Naturally Molted Lovebird Feathers for Crafting

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Hey, I'm looking for some naturally molted feathers from these specific mutations of birds for a crafting project to add some feathers to a trinket jar. Wondering if anyone would be willing to provide some?:

• :rflb: Normal / Wild Coloration Peach-Faced Lovebird Feathers
    • Example pictures:
5SNEDGP.jpeg HjGfa4e.jpeg r1i0PKZ.jpeg

I know this is the lovebird section, just in case anyone also has budgies (cross-posted over to the budgie section too):
  • :pbbudgie: Sky Blue Recessive Pied Budgie Feathers
    • Example pictures:
drmKepC.jpeg y18FGmE.png fahC45b.png

• :budgie9: SF (Single Factor) Violet Sky Blue Greywing Budgie Feathers
    • Example pictures:
WwMzRcO.jpeg kSfcDd6.jpeg tvhYX3x.jpeg

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Jay,

I´m very curious... What does the project consist of? why these birds? Why these mutations? Which feathers do you specifically want?

I don´t have a wild type lovebird, sorry.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Hello Jay,

I´m very curious... What does the project consist of? why these birds? Why these mutations? Which feathers do you specifically want?

I don´t have a wild type lovebird, sorry.
I like those species of birds because grew up taking care of budgies, and was in a long-term relationship where I took care of my ex's lovebird before she passed away from old age. I lost all the feathers I had from my childhood budgies because my parents threw them away. As for my ex, I feel that it would be wrong to ask my ex for his lovebird's feathers because we decided to go no-contact with each other.

I just happen to like those mutations and colors. I think wild type pf lovies look like watermelon colors!! Any kind of feathers (down feathers, tail feathers, flight feathers, etc.) would work as long as they're from those specific mutations, and are naturally molted, with no harm to any birds!!

I enjoy making arts and crafts a lot. I'm thinking of putting feathers in trinket jars like this:

download (3).jpeg images (15).jpeg Protection-Spell-Jar.png
Sea-witch-spell-jar-terrarium.jpg

Maybe in the future, try out something with resin pendants and framed feathers, but I don't have resin supplies or picture frames:

images (16).jpeg 02198f09fce050be194e2d5604838c02.jpg

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Where do you live to post I have a peachfaced mango 09E3F6A7-7F56-4DCF-9C4C-C0AE2904D146.jpeg

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry someone tossed your budgie feathers. I have a sky blue recessive pied (Marzipan) & a violet sky blue greywing spangle budgie (Cloud), but he's also SF dominant pied. I don't know if he's single factor - always thought he was double violet until I saw your pics above. The upshot of this is that both have white tail feathers & I don't keep the rest. Sorry about that.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
These frames look great! I have some feathers from an AA friend, maybe I´ll hunt one of these frames down and put them in :)

Where do you live to post
That´s very kind of you

Sorry to hear your folks got rid of your budgie feathers. I hope you find some.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
I'm sorry someone tossed your budgie feathers. I have a sky blue recessive pied (Marzipan) & a violet sky blue greywing spangle budgie (Cloud), but he's also SF dominant pied. I don't know if he's single factor - always thought he was double violet until I saw your pics above. The upshot of this is that both have white tail feathers & I don't keep the rest. Sorry about that.
I feel like it's hard to tell if a budgie is single factor or double factor violet if they have genes for diluted feathers (greywing, and dilute), and still hard to tell with photos even though camera quality improved over the years. A picture without flash and in sunlight would be the closest to real life colors. I just used some photos that looked the closest. I think the best way of seeing violet in a budgie would be looking in person. I think your bird still might be a double violet, but I couldn't tell without photos.

The few ways to tell would probably be to know the parent birds' genetics already, or breed the bird (I wouldn't recommend breeding for the sake of knowing genetics though in my opinion) to find out from the genetics of the chicks. For the majority of people, people who don't breed birds, I think a lot of it is just guessing.

Also you're all good.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
These frames look great! I have some feathers from an AA friend, maybe I´ll hunt one of these frames down and put them in :)

That´s very kind of you

Sorry to hear your folks got rid of your budgie feathers. I hope you find some.
Ah, those aren't my frames, but photos of stuff similar to what I'm thinking of making later in the future. I like trying new types of arts and crafts out.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
@BlueJay Here is a recent thread with pictures. What do you think?! Help with wing markings mutation
I can tell Cloud definitely has some sort of violet with the smidge of violet on his neck being more 'violet-looking', but I don't want to say he's single-factor or double-factor from the photo. I'd have to see a photo of his front and back close-up in natural sunlight without flash (even then, I don't want to say I'm good at identifying the difference between single-factor and double-factor violets in photos). Based on the photo in that thread, he looks like cobalt (one dark factor) with double-factor violet if he's clearwing or greywing (I'm not sure if he'd look different from another photo).

In general, the body color of budgies (whether blue or green) tends to be duller on the belly, and darker on the back. I think he looks more clearwing than greywing since his body color is more saturated, but I always thought clearwing-greywing is more like a sliding scale instead of two completely separate dilute genes since there are some birds that look like in the middle (bird geneticists, correct me if I'm wrong).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are these going to be used for personal use, gifts, or selling? I think it's important to know as some people want to know what is happening with their kindly donated feathers :)

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Are these going to be used for personal use, gifts, or selling? I think it's important to know as some people want to know what is happening with their kindly donated feathers :)
Personal gifts!! Maybe I'll try selling in the future, but when I feel more financially stable for doing stuff like that. I tried doing the small business thing on Etsy and a personal website with selling bird stickers and stickers based off video game critters, but all the fees of listing, website, etc. added up to making more of a loss than a gain financially.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interesting about violet vs. cobalt! That picture was in natural light with no flash. :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
5FBC9E3F-8A60-4509-A9CA-48B589536008.jpeg
I haven’t forgot slowly collecting them not many green ones yet though but thought I would save some blue ones for you too

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If someone ever asked me for my birds feathers because they wanted to add them to a memorial of some sort I would definitely consider it but I wouldn´t give my birds feathers away for someone else to make a buck. There´s a few AA members I have sent my birds feathers to, and I think they all still have them.

not many green ones
Have you had any red yet?
I keep my Sydneys face in a special jar. I missed a load this time though because of the house move.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree about not profitting off of my birds. They're my friends first and foremost.

When I made my fascinator for the hats & fascinators wedding this summer I only let my twin try it. My rule was, if you don't know, love & can name the beautiful beings who made this possible, you're not worthy to wear it & won't have the proper appreciation/humility to do so. It's not just a fancy headdress. When I took the feathers from their little bags to make it, I explained what I was doing & asked their permission first.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
If someone ever asked me for my birds feathers because they wanted to add them to a memorial of some sort I would definitely consider it but I wouldn´t give my birds feathers away for someone else to make a buck. There´s a few AA members I have sent my birds feathers to, and I think they all still have them.

I keep my Sydneys face in a special jar. I missed a load this time though because of the house move.
No they haven’t ask to buy them just to pay for postage but if it’s not much I don’t mind sending them and paying just going to get a few first

no red ones yet mango hasn’t really had a big moly yet indie had a stunning one blue green big flight feather I put it save but it’s too save I don’t know where it’s gone in house move:banghead:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

And I definitely wouldn’t for money they are my babies although would pay for toys the cost me a fortune:rofl: that’s a joke I really wouldn’t sell anything of them

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree about not profitting off of my birds.
And I definitely wouldn’t for money
Sorry, that´s not what I mean.

I wouldn´t give my birds feathers away for someone else to make a buck
If folks want to sell their own birds feathers, or make items to sell, that´s up to them. We pay our birds way, so if we wanna make things and sell them as a hobby for fun, or to make a couple of dollars for toys, why not.
But I´d actually be so upset if I thought I was doing a nice thing sending my birds feathers to someone to help them feel better, and then they were crafted and sold.