• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for someone for advice on trying to help a mistreated lovebrird

Rin4354

Moving in
Real Name
Brittany
I have a family member that had acquired a love bird from another family member passing. They keep him in a small cage and hardly ever clean him or let him out. He has no hiding spaces whatsoever either. He's going to be nine this year and it just breaks my heart seeing him like this as I grew up around him... I'm wondering how I would go about taking him from this situation and if there would be any negative impacts if I do get him out of there. I plan on taking him to a vet after im able to get him out of there and get him all the things he needs. Can somebody give me some advice on what I should do to help him?

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I have a family member that had acquired a love bird from another family member passing. They keep him in a small cage and hardly ever clean him or let him out. He has no hiding spaces whatsoever either. He's going to be nine this year and it just breaks my heart seeing him like this as I grew up around him... I'm wondering how I would go about taking him from this situation and if there would be any negative impacts if I do get him out of there. I plan on taking him to a vet after im able to get him out of there and get him all the things he needs. Can somebody give me some advice on what I should do to help him?

Right now can you visit with him and bring him some treats? Maybe a toy? Once they see that you are so interested in him they may surrender him over to you. I can't imagine they are too happy with the situation either.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Or clean his cage for them! Just take some diluted vinegar in a spray bottle and paper towels, and say that you read birds need extremely clean cages for their health.

Rin4354

Moving in
Real Name
Brittany
At this point his cage is so bad he'd need a new one completely (not to mention its not even for his species type its for finches) and I've tried convincing them to let me take him awhile ago but im going to try again but im afraid I might have to bring it up to authorities and I want that as a last resort kinda of thing but I will if I have to. He clung to me when I did take him out for about a hour and a half because I was trying to clean up their place because they are "ill"... I just feel so bad I have to go away for a week to help another family member out of state but when I get back I am going to get him somehow.

Rin4354

Moving in
Real Name
Brittany
I never thought to offer buy him I could try that they are always talking about not being able to afford anything but they still buy alot of things unfortunately I just hope I can get him out of there before he gets really sick they're other birds passed away recently from being dirty and they "don't know why they passed"

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, offering money often works. I hope you’re able to help him. :(

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Best of luck to you and that poor lovie! I have a bunch of lovebirds (but only 3 live with me now), and I know how sad you must be seeing him in such a bad condition. I really hope that you can buy him/otherwise help him!

Rin4354

Moving in
Real Name
Brittany
I just wanted to let everyone know that I got him and hes doing well hes happier than I've ever seen him. Hes clean and enjoying being able to come out and stretch his wings. I want to thank everybody again for the suggestions and helping me to figure out how to help him I really appreciate it!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Oh that's awesome! I'm glad you were able to get him. Post some pictures when you're ready :)

Gigibirds

Yay! I'm so happy for both you and your new bird :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic update :)

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
That's great, I bet he is super happy now!

Gigibirds

Oh he is gorgeous! I love lutino lovebirds!!! (my first lovebirds were lutinos :) )

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is that the type he is? I dont know to much about the different types of lovebirds
Post a pic from the back with rump and flights.

Very cute bird. I just love all Roseicollis :xflove: :swoon:

That cage will be a good travel cage when you do eventually upgrade so don´t get rid of it.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
I am so happy to read this update. I cannot imagine that little guy living is a small cage like that without ever coming out, never mind that it was dirty. So happy that he is doing so well.

i have a similar size cage for traveling and its great and I have a 21“by 18” with 3 peaks so about 30” high for the campsite for a few days At a time, not that bailey will be spending much time in it other than when outside.

but for travelling the one you have is great, easy to buckle in and in my case hold on my lap on the backcountry roads..

again so happy he found a great home with you!! :heart: :heart: