• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for some advice

Persephone

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Samia
Hi everyone,

I’ve long been a lurker on this forum but this is my first post, and I apologise that it’s a question you’ve probably had a million times instead of a proper introduction!

Anyway, my 8 year-old Quaker Sherlock has been moulting for a good long while now, but this evening while changing his cage lining I noticed a feather that had what appeared to be a small amount of blood on the tip and was obviously concerned. I raced straight to this forum to search for any information, and scrolled through lots of threads and photos but nothing seemed to quite match what I had. It’s possible that I’m being unnecessarily dramatic, given how small - I’m like an anxious parent when it comes to the little lad - but I was hoping to check in with the huge amount of experience I’ve seen on here. This is the feather in question:
AC4B01F2-EA1F-48B2-A1D1-39184AAEC77F.jpeg

Again, apologies for barging straight on in without an introduction (I’ll remedy that right away!), but I saw it and freaked out a little

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. It's possible that the feather was starting to molt out and wasn't comfortable and he pulled it out because it was bothering him. I don't think it's anything to worry about. :) You can try giving him some human grade Brewer's yeast if it's a long molt and he seems a bit cranky. It's good for stress/molting.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomegroup:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree I wouldn’t worry too much

Persephone

Real Name
Samia
Thank you both - that's put my mind at ease. No sign of any more blood over the last couple, so I think you could be right and I'm just being an overanxious parent!

@sunnysmom That's a great tip - never knew about that! How often should I be giving it to him? He's having such a long moult, and is definitely what I'd call cranky, so any help I can give him is great

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you both - that's put my mind at ease. No sign of any more blood over the last couple, so I think you could be right and I'm just being an overanxious parent!

@sunnysmom That's a great tip - never knew about that! How often should I be giving it to him? He's having such a long moult, and is definitely what I'd call cranky, so any help I can give him is great
Sprinkle a small amount on food for about a week

Persephone

Real Name
Samia
@sunnysmom Sorry to bother you again, but is it generally a very common thing for them to pull feathers that bother them during a moult. There have now been three feathers with blood on the end, and it’s not something I’ve ever noticed him do before so just wanted to check at what point I should worry. There are no bald patches, but still I’m a bit twitchy about it. This one is the latest:
5D0D2905-48BB-4440-BD14-48DFC596D71A.jpeg

As I say, I don’t mean to be a pain, but this is all new to me and very worrying.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom Sorry to bother you again, but is it generally a very common thing for them to pull feathers that bother them during a moult. There have now been three feathers with blood on the end, and it’s not something I’ve ever noticed him do before so just wanted to check at what point I should worry. There are no bald patches, but still I’m a bit twitchy about it. This one is the latest:
View attachment 370381

As I say, I don’t mean to be a pain, but this is all new to me and very worrying.
Never hesitate to ask questions. That's why we're here. Is he losing other feathers too without blood? Or has it just been these feathers?

Persephone

Real Name
Samia
He is losing other feathers without any blood. Even some on his head, which I know he can’t have plucked! I found one very similar to the last picture in his food bowl this afternoon that had no blood on it, in fact. It didn’t have a chunk out of it on one side, but otherwise the two were very similar.
I really appreciate your help with this, and can’t thank you enough

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is losing other feathers without any blood. Even some on his head, which I know he can’t have plucked! I found one very similar to the last picture in his food bowl this afternoon that had no blood on it, in fact. It didn’t have a chunk out of it on one side, but otherwise the two were very similar.
I really appreciate your help with this, and can’t thank you enough
I am still thinking that it's normal molting.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:welcome2:

Persephone

Real Name
Samia
I am still thinking that it's normal molting.
That’s very reassuring to hear! So many articles I’ve read previously have been all about some real horror stories, so my anxiety just ran rampant. Which, to be fair, was probably stressing him out unnecessarily at an already uncomfortable time. Thank you once again!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That’s very reassuring to hear! So many articles I’ve read previously have been all about some real horror stories, so my anxiety just ran rampant. Which, to be fair, was probably stressing him out unnecessarily at an already uncomfortable time. Thank you once again!
Not to stress you out, but if he's molting and new feathers are growing in, sometimes they can break blood feathers and they bleed. Usually, it's fine. It's good though to have some type of clotting agent like corn starch on hand just in case. I went to a bird first aid class and the vet said rarely does the feather need to be pulled- it's only if the bleeding isn't stopping and then it's preferable for it to be done by a vet if possible. Just something to be aware of. It doesn't happen very often- none of my current birds have broken a blood feather, so don't worry about it- it's just an fyi.

Persephone

Real Name
Samia
Not to stress you out, but if he's molting and new feathers are growing in, sometimes they can break blood feathers and they bleed. Usually, it's fine. It's good though to have some type of clotting agent like corn starch on hand just in case. I went to a bird first aid class and the vet said rarely does the feather need to be pulled- it's only if the bleeding isn't stopping and then it's preferable for it to be done by a vet if possible. Just something to be aware of. It doesn't happen very often- none of my current birds have broken a blood feather, so don't worry about it- it's just an fyi.
Oh wow, that's good to know, thank you! That would have freaked me out beyond belief if it had happened unexpectedly. It's also made me think that a bird first aid class would be really handy. Might have to see if there's anywhere I might be able to attend one once normality is restored!

The last couple of days he's been losing the mirrors of the feathers he pulled out, so I'm definitely thinking you were absolutely right and he was just irritated by feathers on the edge of falling.