• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Second Pet Bird

Kaupasetic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda
We are fulltime RVers, this is important to know due to space limitations.

We currently have Christopher, a 3 year old GCC. He's a very sweet companion bird, we do permission based training. He is not loud or nippy, we did go through his naughty period but even then I hardly ever found the need to force him to do anything.
He is flighted and although he has a decent size cage, he is only confined at night (sleep time.) He is contained at times in the back (room with sliding glass doors) while I'm cooking, if we leave to go grocery shopping, boating, etc. So basically, he is used to the run of the house.

I would like my next bird to be a P. robustus. I'm wondering if I will need to be concerned for Christophers safety.

I'm not looking for a companion for Christopher, I'm looking for another bird for myself, but they would need to be able to share their living environment without killing each other.

What are the realities? Is it a bad idea to mix the two? There will be lots of perches and separate play areas, they will not be forced to interact but the reality is - if one flies to attack the other, there is limited area to escape.

I am willing to provide photos if they may be helpful.

Outdoor time is a large clam tent, 11.5 feet across, all the way around. It is fairly large. Amazon.com: CLAM 12873 Sky, Brown Screen Shelter: Garden & Outdoor

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
It's never a good idea to mix beak sizes. I'm not familiar with this bird, the Cape Parrot, right? But I believe they are medium/large birds.

It could be possible for them to have strictly supervised playtime out of cages, but a large bird like a cape parrot could easily injure a little GCC. The only way they could be out of cages in the same room would be if they were comfortable with each other and watched very carefully. I don't think you could watch both 24/7. Adding a Cape Parrot would definitely affect the time your GCC spends out of his cage.

Kaupasetic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda
It's never a good idea to mix beak sizes. I'm not familiar with this bird, the Cape Parrot, right? But I believe they are medium/large birds.

It could be possible for them to have strictly supervised playtime out of cages, but a large bird like a cape parrot could easily injure a little GCC. The only way they could be out of cages in the same room would be if they were comfortable with each other and watched very carefully. I don't think you could watch both 24/7. Adding a Cape Parrot would definitely affect the time your GCC spends out of his cage.
That's what I was afraid of.
It appears I'll be getting another conure. :shifty: I've been researching so many birds and I just don't feel anything other than a small conure or parakeets will be safe enough. And even then I realize squabbles can turn into a dangerous situation very quickly.

Thank you for your honesty.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Have you considered a cockatiel? Hmm, maybe not with the dusty feathers.
What about a quaker?

Kaupasetic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda
Have you considered a cockatiel? Hmm, maybe not with the dusty feathers.
What about a quaker?
Quakers are too loud and raspy for my husband.
I'm trying to stay away from dusty birds due to limited space and asthma.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Maybe you could look into smaller pois, like meyer's or red-bellies? They're closer to a green cheek's size, and have been known to get along on occasion (always make sure you supervise them, though!). My experiences with meyer's in particular have been very positive, they generally make for great companions. Just be wary of the occasional fire alarm screech!
:meyers::redbelly::redbellyhen:

Kaupasetic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda
Maybe you could look into smaller pois, like meyer's or red-bellies? They're closer to a green cheek's size, and have been known to get along on occasion (always make sure you supervise them, though!). My experiences with meyer's in particular have been very positive, they generally make for great companions. Just be wary of the occasional fire alarm screech!
:meyers::redbelly::redbellyhen:
Originally I was wanting a Poicephalus but was warned by several owners that the P. species overall are quite territorial and fit more of a lone bird scenario. I adore the little pitbull look of these guys and have had my moments of regret in getting Christopher (a GCC.) While Chris is an absolutely lovely bird, if I realized I would only be able to have ONE bird, it would have been a P. robustus or Primolius maracana (Illiger's macaw)

Please understand that this is more due to limited rv space. If we were back in an actual house, multiple species would not be an issue.