• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for people with Corvid experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
-pokes title-

I'm considering what my final bird will be, and would like to speak with people who have had or have now, Corvids. Particularly the big ones. A scour of the net hasn't been turning up much in the way of care and I don't like to jump into things without at least half an idea. :o:

Things I know: needs large cage/aviary, needs a lot of interaction and mental stimulation, messy, hide food and your belongings. Those things are no issue and I kind of expected that.

I'm interested in finding out more about diet, behaviors, daily schedules, and such. The details in between.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
You know, I don't think I know of anyone in any of the forums that I've visited who owned any species of Corvid. I know that I've read they can be very nice companions. It's illegal to own American species of corvids but I know that people would occasionally rescue and keep abandoned fledglings and chicks. One of my uncles had one for a while when I was a kid but I barely remember it and do not know what eventually happened to it ... I think that he ended up releasing it once it was grown.

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
I know, that's what's so frustrating about it. I see pictures out there, tons of them, but nothing up to date or in-depth. If I could find a blog to follow that would be great.

I had the opportunity to foster some native corvids when I worked at the raptor rehab, but specifically what I am looking at as far as a pet would be either a pied crow or a white necked raven.

Gotta be someone out there willing to chat!

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I don't know much about keeping corvids but have communicated to at least two people who had them. They are high maintenance animals, probably more than most parrots. Their minds are highly active. Since they don't chew, I'm not sure what kind of toys you would need to keep them occupied at all waking hours. Any puzzle or foraging toys would probably be the best since many corvids, especially the larger species, can be even more intelligent than Greys. I imagine them to be very mischievous creatures and would probably get into things often.

I'm aware that there is a pied crow breeder out in the west. Perhaps you can contact them to refer you to online groups where you can chat with existing corvid owners? Maybe there's a yahoo group?

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
Shadera did you ever find any good information?

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I know someone for you!!!!!!! i'll see if i can get him to join here. he has a vasa and rehabs and otherwise cares for many different corvids. He is extremely knowledgeable.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Patti J

Sitting on the front steps
I am currently raising two rescued Ravens, and have kept several species of Corvids in the past. I can probably answer some of your questions if you want to be a bit more specific.

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

Patti J

Sitting on the front steps
Well, I can tell you that you are in for one heck of an experience if you decide on a Corvid! They are a lot like parrots in some ways.....intelligent, thoughtful, busy, and cheeky! But, they are different as well. I can't answer specifics about personality because my experience is that they are all different. Most of the species that I have kept are a bit more wary than parrots. They don't readily trust new things or new people. But once they get used to things they are very outgoing.

The diet and the associated mess keep ya on your toes! You can't leave their after meal mess for long because of it's contents. But I don't really mind that.

Almost anything makes a good toy for a corvid. Small stones, crumpled up bits of foil, clothes pegs, bottle caps, sea shells, etc...etc.... Mine find bits and pieces out of the garden like wood chips and play with them for hours. Live foods, such as meal worms, double as toys too.

The two birds in my photos are Australian Ravens. The largest of the Ravens found in Oz. They are both from the same clutch and came to me after some jerkface shot their parents. The little one has a broken leg and was covered with ants when rescued. The bigger was just so undernourished that he couldn't fly. I have had them for only a week, but thanks to daily outtings into the back garden they are thriving and settling in to life with me better than expected.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Awesome! Welcome Patti!:welcome:

Dana

Meeting neighbors
Patti J,
That's a wonderful thing you are doing! Congratulations and good luck to you.

Here is one of the 3 ravens I've raised. He had fallen out of a pine tree on our property.

If I may offer my opinion...my collared aracari's (a species of toucan for anyone that's never heard of them) behavior is the absolute closest to any description of a raven personality or trait that could be described.

Attachments

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:wow: What a huge gorgeous Raven!! :D

Dana

Meeting neighbors
That was a great article. It reminded me very much of what it was like raising Virgil. He had fallen out of his nest in a pine tree on our property. We were on 10 acres and there was an abundance of coyotes on the property at night so I took him inside and decided to go ahead and raise him myself. He had very few feathers coming through at the time.

He went to work with me everyday while I was handfeeding him and as he got older he'd explore the office and visit with my coworkers. At home he had free run of the house. He was absolutely wonderful to have around. Watching him learn to fly was probably the best part of the experience!When he was finally weaned I kept him in an outdoor aviary for a week or so while I was at work.

When I decided it was time for him to be out on his own I took a two week vacation to stick around the house and see how he would do. At the time, I had horses and would take an hour so to go for a ride. Virgil would hop right up onto my shoulder or the rear end of the horse and go right along. After a few days of this he'd eventually fly off here or there, staying close by. I'd take walks with him around the property and we'd investigate the barn together and see what other things we could get into. My husband and I would go team penning down at the neighbors ranch and Virgil would fly right along next to us and hang out and watch while we worked the cattle.

As I continued to keep him outside, he found his place in a pine tree in front of the house. Every morning he'd come to my window and call incessantly until I brought him breakfast. He'd come into the house, get into the trash, tear up newspaper, play with firewood kindling and whatever else he could get into. Little by little he started doing his own thing everyday. I could see him flying around the property from the front deck. When I went back to work, I'd come home to find him sitting on the arch gate leading into the property. As I drove up the to house, he'd fly right next to the window!

Our lives went on like this for several months. And then afterwards he'd spend longer and longer times away from home. I would often come home to earrings, coins, and metal wire on the deck where we'd spend most of our evenings.

His visitations became fewer and fewer throughout the months and the last time I saw him was probably around this time of year. He came by for a visit and I could tell he was becoming the wild bird I hoped he would. I gave him a few pieces of his favorite foods which he took somewhat nervously. He perched very quietly for a bit and I sat there watching him suspecting that this would be the last time I saw him. And no story could have been written better...and as cliche as it was, Virgil flew off into the sunset, and it was the last time I ever saw him.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
what a beautiful little story, made me cry
thank you :)
wonder if we should sticky it on it's own :)

That was a great article. It reminded me very much of what it was like raising Virgil. He had fallen out of his nest in a pine tree on our property. We were on 10 acres and there was an abundance of coyotes on the property at night so I took him inside and decided to go ahead and raise him myself. He had very few feathers coming through at the time.

He went to work with me everyday while I was handfeeding him and as he got older he'd explore the office and visit with my coworkers. At home he had free run of the house. He was absolutely wonderful to have around. Watching him learn to fly was probably the best part of the experience!When he was finally weaned I kept him in an outdoor aviary for a week or so while I was at work.

When I decided it was time for him to be out on his own I took a two week vacation to stick around the house and see how he would do. At the time, I had horses and would take an hour so to go for a ride. Virgil would hop right up onto my shoulder or the rear end of the horse and go right along. After a few days of this he'd eventually fly off here or there, staying close by. I'd take walks with him around the property and we'd investigate the barn together and see what other things we could get into. My husband and I would go team penning down at the neighbors ranch and Virgil would fly right along next to us and hang out and watch while we worked the cattle.

As I continued to keep him outside, he found his place in a pine tree in front of the house. Every morning he'd come to my window and call incessantly until I brought him breakfast. He'd come into the house, get into the trash, tear up newspaper, play with firewood kindling and whatever else he could get into. Little by little he started doing his own thing everyday. I could see him flying around the property from the front deck. When I went back to work, I'd come home to find him sitting on the arch gate leading into the property. As I drove up the to house, he'd fly right next to the window!

Our lives went on like this for several months. And then afterwards he'd spend longer and longer times away from home. I would often come home to earrings, coins, and metal wire on the deck where we'd spend most of our evenings.

His visitations became fewer and fewer throughout the months and the last time I saw him was probably around this time of year. He came by for a visit and I could tell he was becoming the wild bird I hoped he would. I gave him a few pieces of his favorite foods which he took somewhat nervously. He perched very quietly for a bit and I sat there watching him suspecting that this would be the last time I saw him. And no story could have been written better...and as cliche as it was, Virgil flew off into the sunset, and it was the last time I ever saw him.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
There are couple of good books. Mind of a Raven by Bernd Heinrich who raised and observed a lot of ravens is really good. Also, Corvus: A Life with Birds by Esther Wooflson.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Wow, that is a great story. You were lucky to get to know each other. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.