• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Pbfd+ bird in Southern California area

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Hello everyone.

My bird with PBFD recently passed on from a brain aneurysm. I would like to open my home to a pbfd+ bird that needs love. I have 4+ years of experience caring for an infected bird and a relationship with a dedicated avian vet willing to care for positive birds. I have also had other special needs birds in the past. I live in Orange County in Southern California, but I'm able to drive a long distance if needed. My car is a hatch back so I can most likely fit a moderately sized cage, but I'm also willing to buy a new cage locally.

Please respond here or private message me.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My goodness. Aren't you just the kindest angel we've seen in a while. Some sick bird is going to be very lucky to find you. :hug8:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Have you tried the rescues, or the local bird clubs. They may have leads for you. It takes a very special person to do what you do. Bless your heart.:hug8:

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My goodness. Aren't you just the kindest angel we've seen in a while. Some sick bird is going to be very lucky to find you. :hug8:
I was thinking the same thing. Its an amazing thing you are doing.
:hug8:

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Bless your heart. Please check with nearby shelters and rescues nearby. I'll look around for any birds who are need of your care. :hug8::xflove:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I took a look at the list k on FB. Most of the birds needing homes are in Austrailia. Why? Have you checked with the avian vets?

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very kind of you to do this.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I took a look at the list k on FB. Most of the birds needing homes are in Austrailia. Why? Have you checked with the avian vets?
PBFD is sadly not uncommon here.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Amazing heart!:heart: What a very lucky little birdie he's going to be! Wow!:hug8:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
PBFD is sadly not uncommon here.
I'm curious do you know how common it is in wild birds? I remember seeing a video of a wild cockatoo that it was suspected having PBFD years ago. I remember wondering how do you try to contain it in a wild population? The bird was a social outcast because it so I guess that's nature's way of containing it.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm curious do you know how common it is in wild birds? I remember seeing a video of a wild cockatoo that it was suspected having PBFD years ago. I remember wondering how do you try to contain it in a wild population? The bird was a social outcast because it so I guess that's nature's way of containing it.
I don't know the numbers (although i seem to recall a number of 10-20% in some species of wild cockatoo populations), but I'm pretty sure it's Australia wide in the wild birds here. I've had one galah I suspected had the disease visit once. I stopped feeding the birds for several months so he stopped coming by. Lorikeets seem to get it a lot as well, though they're not exactly endangered as some of our other endemic species are.

Prevention is obviously better, since in wild populations it's virtually impossible to eliminate. The only way is to euthanise them. Wild birds brought in to vets or shelters showing symptoms do get put down for this reason. Feeding wild birds is one method by which is can be spread, so most people here tend not to. I put out food, but I monitor who is coming by and I make sure I am not doing it all the time.

OP, I saw you mention VikronS and thought I'd share this. From: http://www.environment.gov.au/syste...r-threats-australian-threatened-parrots.docxp

The virus is extremely stable in the environment and it is possible that it may remain viable in nest hollows for many years. Testing of the virus at an incubation temperature of 80°C for thirty minutes fails to inactivate it. A disinfectant that has been shown to be effective is the peroxygencompound, VirkonS (Australian Wildlife Health Network 2009).

Virkon S is safer to use than other similar disinfectants as it has low toxicity to humans and birds. It is effective against all viruses when used on an organic matter-free surface at the higher recommended concentration (2%) for a contact time of 10 minutes. It will inactivate any viable PBFD virus that might be present on the surface (Department of the Environment and Heritage 2006).

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't know the numbers (although i seem to recall a number of 10-20% in some species of wild cockatoo populations), but I'm pretty sure it's Australia wide in the wild birds here. I've had one galah I suspected had the disease visit once. I stopped feeding the birds for several months so he stopped coming by. Lorikeets seem to get it a lot as well, though they're not exactly endangered as some of our other endemic species are.

Prevention is obviously better, since in wild populations it's virtually impossible to eliminate. The only way is to euthanise them. Wild birds brought in to vets or shelters showing symptoms do get put down for this reason. Feeding wild birds is one method by which is can be spread, so most people here tend not to. I put out food, but I monitor who is coming by and I make sure I am not doing it all the time.

OP, I saw you mention VikronS and thought I'd share this. From: http://www.environment.gov.au/syste...r-threats-australian-threatened-parrots.docxp
Thanks for answering. That's really sad :( I hope one day soon there will a cure for it. Or maybe even a vaccine. It would be really horrible to lose an endangered specie to it

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay

I don't think I'm going to get virkon s because I'm planning on bleaching then f10-ing my house (walls, ceiling, furniture). I would have to rinse virkon s off and I think it might stain.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Just thought I'd update everyone.

In addition to the post here, I have made a post on Craigslist and contacted three rescues: the Lily foundation, mickaboo, and parrots first. So far no responses! I used my more anonymous email that I sometimes use to buy jewellery so I hope they don't think it's spam. I'm not really expecting an immediate response, but more hoping that someone somewhere will see one of my messages and think of me when the right bird comes. Until then I'll be continuing to disinfect my house.

Please tell me if you know of any other rescues in the southern California area.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that you receive a response soon.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Just thought I'd update everyone.

In addition to the post here, I have made a post on Craigslist and contacted three rescues: the Lily foundation, mickaboo, and parrots first. So far no responses! I used my more anonymous email that I sometimes use to buy jewellery so I hope they don't think it's spam. I'm not really expecting an immediate response, but more hoping that someone somewhere will see one of my messages and think of me when the right bird comes. Until then I'll be continuing to disinfect my house.

Please tell me if you know of any other rescues in the southern California area.
If you call some Avian vets, they may also be able to put you in contact with rescues they assist.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I'm still available if anyone's wondering...

I contacted a few people but no one has a bird available. One rescue responded they have never encountered a bird with pbfd before! How lucky.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Appreciate update. We will continue to help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.