• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for parrots in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollolocos

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Montgomery
Hi I recently joined, and I’m looking for a new bird. I’m interested in one that would make a good ESA, I’d rather not have short live species ( budgie, cockatiel) but more like Quaker, conure ( most likely, or larger. I’d rather them be free with a cage, or at most a $30 rehoming fee since my budget right now, if no cage I can easily make an indoor aviary for them. Please PM me with details, and contact info. Thanks, and have a nice day! ( P.S I don’t want to seem if I’m a r/choosingbegger, I’m just really looking for a bird.)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cockatiels can live 30+ years, so definitely not a short-lived species.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Be sure to read this thread on parrots as ESAs, it's very informative on what to expect when getting a bird as an ESA. And as JosienBB said above, budgies and tiels are certainly not short-lived. As long as they're cared for, budgies can live into their late twenties and tiels can easily get into their thirties. Conures live around the same span, some making it a few years longer than tiels (into their late thirties). I think the misconception around budgies and tiels is due to the fact that many people will not care for them properly and they don't live out their possible life spans. But a preference is a preference, if conures or quakers are your preferable bird, that's fine. :)
Hopefully you find the companion right for you, welcome to the Avenue by the way!

Pollolocos

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Montgomery
Thank you guys for the replies! From my experience, I just really have not had any budgies that lived over 10 ( maybe due to health problems) but I will consider cockatiels now! Thanks for informing me.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Many people won't rehome birds for cheap because they need vet care. I managed to get my first cockatiel for $15 when I posted on Craigslist offering a forever home for any bird species. Bird cage supplies are expensive, especially for hookbills, who use their beaks to climb. My bird vet charges some $50 for a visit, not counting any exams. The only exception for that are grooming visits. Birds get sick, just like dogs and cats, and need checkups.

Revelth

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Claudia
I'm a bit doubtful that you'll find a larger bird for that amount. If you change your mind on that fee than I know that Companion Parrots Rehomed has a few birds for rescue and is where I'm considering getting my first bird from when the time comes. They require you go to two of their classes I think, and you also need a home check an an annual avian vet check for the bird. They also require any other birds in the house to be tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.