• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Maximilian Pionus Breeders in California

BirdDood

Moving in
Hi all, I'm looking for a Maximilian Pionus breeder somewhere in California. Preferably somewhere near the SF/Bay Area but honestly at this point, I'd be willing to take a decently long drive. I want a baby so I can properly socialize it and bring it to different places so it gets used to new places. I have been looking for quite a while and just can't find any anywhere. I even went to the Bird Expo in Lodi today and couldn't find any. I wouldn't be looking to buy right now as I'll be moving pretty soon but I'd at least like to get settled before I adopt a tiny friend. But definitely within the next 6 months to a year. I'd just like to find some so I actually can adopt when I'm ready and they have babies. If anyone knows anything please let me know!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
So Pi's should be going to nest next month with babies being ready in the spring. That being said they are getting harder and harder to find every year as not enough birds were held back for breeding in the past. Breeders are starting to hold some of their babies back now and working with breeder trades so hopefully their numbers in aviculture will go back up in the future. If not pi's will be one of the genus gone from aviculture within 10 years.

BirdDood

Moving in
So Pi's should be going to nest next month with babies being ready in the spring. That being said they are getting harder and harder to find every year as not enough birds were held back for breeding in the past. Breeders are starting to hold some of their babies back now and working with breeder trades so hopefully their numbers in aviculture will go back up in the future. If not pi's will be one of the genus gone from aviculture within 10 years.
Thank you for all the information. I'm really glad to know that I'll have time to get more things in order before they're even old enough to be sold. It would be really sad to see a whole beautiful species disappear from aviculture like that so I'm glad that more of them are being kept as breeder birds.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Unfortunately lots of birds are disappearing. When I got into birds 24+ years ago it was so easy to find more species. Now I have to think back to when I saw what used to be so common. If more breeders do not work with the "less popular" birds or just keep selling everything they produce without thinking of future breeding spot you will see it being impossible to find several types. I discuss this with breeders all the time. We try to figure what will be gone in the future and list is always growing.

BirdDood

Moving in
It's really sad to hear that. I hope people start realizing what's going on and do something about it if they can. I noticed that at the bird expo. As far as medium to large birds go it was only ringnecks, amazons, cockatoos, and macaws.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Yes and even in those groups of birds many are disappearing. When was the last time you saw a ducorp cockatoo, african ringneck, orange wing amazon or noble macaw? There are still a few but vanishing quick

BirdDood

Moving in
As someone who's fairly new to the bird world I can't say that I've ever even heard of those.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
You will likely be looking at purchasing a baby from an out of state breeder and shipping it to you. Facebook groups with a pionus specific focus are good resources.

BirdDood

Moving in
Thank you for letting me know. I didn't know there was a big bird Facebook scene.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I don't know what's happened to all the Pionus breeders. Prior to when I stopped breeding them in 2009 I had developed 5 unrelated pairs of the coral Billed Pionus. Then when I had to sell out due to my breathing issues, I sold all 5 pairs to a gal at Feather Focus, she ended up selling 3 pairs of them I think almost right off the bat and I do know that at least two of those pairs ended up dying in which I have no idea why. I wish to God I had never sold the Coral Bills, I put a lot into searching and pairing up to make breeders and I even had some producing babies prior to me selling them.

I know about the same time I stopped keeping and breeding Pionus other breeders out there as well had retired. Bob Queen who was big into Pionus had died and then his wife ended up selling off all the breeding stock that was probably around in 2007 or 2008. I've lost all touch with who breeds Pionus. I get people asking me who breeds and/or where they can get a Pionus baby, but I've not been in touch with anyone.