• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for large bird like macaw to give loving home

Forgethetrot

Moving in
Real Name
Kylie
Hello I am looking to give a wonderful home to a bird in need, I can afford a fee. I have a cage and toys galore. Also have a herb garden I’m growing for the birds. I currently have a parrotlet he’s been with us for 4 years. I’m a stay at home mom and have all the time in the world. I would love a larger bird like a macaw etc. I also love caiques and Senegal’s. Please let me know if anyone knows anyone with a bird that needs a good forever home. Text 7046573339

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Visit your local bird shelter.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Need more information about who you are as a person

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The whole shebang
  1. Do you have macaw experience?
  2. Do you have other pets/small children?
  3. Do you smoke or use aerosals?
  4. Are you aware that Teflon is toxic?
The list is extremely expansive, but these are just barely scratching the surface. Have you looked into local rescues? Do you have an avian vet nearby?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How big is the cage you have? What's the bar spacing? How high of an adoption fee can you afford? Do you have the means to pay for annual vet checks and emergency vet bills? Can you (and your neighbours) handle the noise level that a large parrot is capable of producing? What about handling hormonal behaviour from a bird with a 700+ psi bite force? How much quality out-of-cage time can you provide on an average day? Are you prepared to spend thousands of dollars on toys, food, enrichment, etc.?

Forgethetrot

Moving in
Real Name
Kylie
Also I believe in Engage not cage, I heard it from some YouTubers. Which is basically that you let your bird be apart of your family because they are extremely intelligent and require a lot of socialization. Just like they would in their flock. I understand not forcing them to step up etc because we use positive reinforcement but don’t reward unwanted behaviors. I use to professionally train dogs so I get the click and reward method as well as capturing a wanted behavior like your bird stepping down to a stand as not to get the Velcro bird. Lol. I love animals and have been around them my whole life.

Forgethetrot

Moving in
Real Name
Kylie
On the 16th I will be going to a class @ Phoenix bird shelter so I’m excited for that. I’ve been around birds since I was 10. I had a budgie and he was the light of my life. I had a few conures as well 2 of them sadly died I brought one to the avian vet but they couldn’t figure out why he was not able to walk anymore and she gave him some vitamin shots and took x ray but she was stumped and said it could be something genetic. I’ve always wanted a larger bird and I’m in a place in my life where I have a lot of time and love to give.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have children? How old are they? How would you want them to interact with the bird?

I think signing up for classes is a great idea. I hope you can understand our suspicion - bird flipping is, sadly, common and I think most people here are very very careful about anyone who asks about available birds without offering a lot of detail about themselves. I hope you can understand where it's coming from!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Any age is fine for me and I don’t mind like I said I just want to give a good home
It sounds like you have done your homework as well as had some real experience with birds. Just remember that nothing prepares you for the real thing, and that some shelter birds will come with baggage. But you have the right attitude and that is half the battle.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Could you show us your cage?

Cowboy&Chica

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the forum Kylie. If noise is a concern stay away from Kakatoos. Otherwise I wish you the best of luck in finding a Macaw or any companion bird.

Cowboy&Chica

Meeting neighbors
Noise is an issue with macaws, conures, pretty much every parrot.
My lovebirds are noisy too... Some noise is tolerable... But no noise compares to the Kakatoos noise at least from my humble experience with three different large parrots.

Attachments

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
My lovebirds are noisy too... Some noise is tolerable... But no noise compares to the Kakatoos noise at least from my humble experience with three different large parrots.
I have a cockatoo myself but can't stand sun conure screams. All subjective I guess.