• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Looking for help with X-ray photos

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
By Eleanor In last year,he get the metal poisoning treat.But he still been bad.so we take him to find next vet.

Heavy metal poisoning takes a very long time to cure. Generally in a bad case, such as your bird may have, the medication is given for a period of time, then stopped for some time and then started again. This process can take months and sometimes more than a year. Sometime it cannot be cured. In serious cases the bird is almost always left with neurological damage. if they survive.

Did the vet test your bird for heavy metal toxicity and did the results of the test show positive for heavy metal poisoning.

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
Are you sure he has no access to any harmful metals? Can you post some pictures of his cage and play areas? I hope your sweet bird will be okay!
He only sleep in cage.from 11p.m to 12.
In last year he ate some heavy metal poisoning treat.He still hard to breath.The next vet give him som medications to cure Air sacculitis.Then his symptom stay in that.but in this year 2021/01/28,he start to hard to breath.

C2910F5E-1117-4B98-B7C8-B6463D36140D.jpeg 181BEAE1-56F0-49A6-9677-CEF25924E103.jpeg

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
By Eleanor In last year,he get the metal poisoning treat.But he still been bad.so we take him to find next vet.

Heavy metal poisoning takes a very long time to cure. Generally in a bad case, such as your bird may have, the medication is given for a period of time, then stopped for some time and then started again. This process can take months and sometimes more than a year. Sometime it cannot be cured. In serious cases the bird is almost always left with neurological damage. if they survive.

Did the vet test your bird for heavy metal toxicity and did the results of the test show positive for heavy metal poisoning.
No he didn’t give him any test.he just guess that.They say he is too small.and weak.he can’t test his blood.so he try to give him heavy metal poisoning treat one month.But he didn’t get better.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sorry - that is one of the downsides with the tiny birds - many tests can't be performed on them, because they are too small to give enough blood.

Were you told what the white objects are in the xrays.

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
I'm sorry - that is one of the downsides with the tiny birds - many tests can't be performed on them, because they are too small to give enough blood.

Were you told what the white objects are in the xrays.
Today ,I find a vet,from Hong Kong.She gets his blood to test.She say ,he didn’t get metal poisoning.and let him to drink contrast medium to shot the x_ray.She say his blood test results is good.Don’t have any clear bad data.Inflammation index is 0-1.But the intestines are swollen.Now she give him high dose liver medications.If his liver can become small in 2weeks.Then she can safe him.But if it didn’t work.Then it will be liver tumor.If he is tumor.Then she will give up.Can you tell me.in this x-ray,Did he get the tumor?

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
Doctor didn’t say that his blood test is normal,but his liver become big

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I cannot tell you. Having only limited experience and training from my own vet for reading xrays my interpretations are not that of a professional. Your new vet having run tests on his blood should have a good grasp on whether he has an infection or some other metabolic issue.

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
I cannot tell you. Having only limited experience and training from my own vet for reading xrays my interpretations are not that of a professional. Your new vet having run tests on his blood should have a good grasp on whether he has an infection or some other metabolic issue.
No,she said .She can’t sure that .Why is the intestines rising so much?She can’t help his intestines.but she try to give him some liver medications.Sincerely,thank you for your help.If you can ,wish you can help me to ask your vet.In Taiwan,the avian medicine is not prevalent.many vet just guess and learn.Hope can met some vet can help him.He is my only family.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today ,I find a vet,from Hong Kong.She gets his blood to test.She say ,he didn’t get metal poisoning.and let him to drink contrast medium to shot the x_ray.She say his blood test results is good.Don’t have any clear bad data.Inflammation index is 0-1.But the intestines are swollen.Now she give him high dose liver medications.If his liver can become small in 2weeks.Then she can safe him.But if it didn’t work.Then it will be liver tumor.If he is tumor.Then she will give up.Can you tell me.in this x-ray,Did he get the tumor?
I’m in human medicine, but let me try to help. So the Hong Kong vet took blood and found out he does not have heavy metal toxicity. That’s good, that helps to point us in a direction to go. The X-ray she took, the contrast dye is showing liver inflammatory response as well as intestinal inflammation. What no one knows is WHY the liver is inflamed. Sometimes livers swell because there is something physically wrong with it- maybe a tumor has grown on it or maybe it has gotten damaged from a virus or infection and the swelling is from the organ attempting to heal after the infection. Sometimes the liver is failing, and the swelling is an indicator of the organ slowly becoming unable to do it’s job. Because we do not have tissue samples or the ability to take them from your bird we cannot know why the inflammation is there or the extent of it. The Hong Kong vet has given you liver helping medications. If she is thinking what I am thinking, her prognosis of him getting “better” in two weeks means he can be saved is probably correct and true. If the swelling is from an illness the liver support meds will take care of the swelling and assist the liver in its normal functions, and the intestines will heal on their own. However, if the liver is swollen due to a tumor or full organ failure, there are no medications that can help solve that issue. It would be only supportive care and keeping him comfortable if that is the case.

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
I’m in human medicine, but let me try to help. So the Hong Kong vet took blood and found out he does not have heavy metal toxicity. That’s good, that helps to point us in a direction to go. The X-ray she took, the contrast dye is showing liver inflammatory response as well as intestinal inflammation. What no one knows is WHY the liver is inflamed. Sometimes livers swell because there is something physically wrong with it- maybe a tumor has grown on it or maybe it has gotten damaged from a virus or infection and the swelling is from the organ attempting to heal after the infection. Sometimes the liver is failing, and the swelling is an indicator of the organ slowly becoming unable to do it’s job. Because we do not have tissue samples or the ability to take them from your bird we cannot know why the inflammation is there or the extent of it. The Hong Kong vet has given you liver helping medications. If she is thinking what I am thinking, her prognosis of him getting “better” in two weeks means he can be saved is probably correct and true. If the swelling is from an illness the liver support meds will take care of the swelling and assist the liver in its normal functions, and the intestines will heal on their own. However, if the liver is swollen due to a tumor or full organ failure, there are no medications that can help solve that issue. It would be only supportive care and keeping him comfortable if that is the case.
Thank you for your reply.Now,the vet keep him in hospital.I’m so worry about him.But the vet said.his AST is 191 in normal range.This data can tell us.He didn’t have organ failure.If he has tumor.Is any medicine can help his tumor to grow slowly?or something food can help?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for your reply.Now,the vet keep him in hospital.I’m so worry about him.But the vet said.his AST is 191 in normal range.This data can tell us.He didn’t have organ failure.If he has tumor.Is any medicine can help his tumor to grow slowly?or something food can help?
Well, maybe.
Now again, this is from human medicine, so I cannot tell you succinctly. If indeed the liver inflammation is from a tumor… the growth and illness resulting of the tumor is entirely dependent on the type of tumor it is. We do not know if it *IS* a tumor, but to answer your questions, tumors can be all sorts of things. Some are cancerous lesions, and in that case I do not know of any anti cancer drugs used in parrots. So if it were cancerous, the quality of life for your bird would be dependent on the growth rate of the lesion on the liver and how fast or slow it effected the liver’s ability to operate.

Other tumors are not cancerous, but that does not mean they are to be ignored. Some growths are caused by the liver being harmed by its own damage control criterion- if the liver is battling a virus (or other infection) the liver parts that die will become scarred and inflamed in the liver’s and immune system’s push to respond to the viral invasion. In humans, liver issues can be ongoing for years with the many viruses that attack the liver and cause liver damage. In these cases, if a patient responds to drugs aimed at helping the liver or drugs for fighting the virus, prognosis is usually good.

And some other tumors, of which I would hazard a guess would not be your case are the many fatty tumors that are comprised of well, fat. Inflammation is not usually a precursor to fatty tumors. Fatty tumors are usually left alone unless they interfere with movement or get very large.

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
Well, maybe.
Now again, this is from human medicine, so I cannot tell you succinctly. If indeed the liver inflammation is from a tumor… the growth and illness resulting of the tumor is entirely dependent on the type of tumor it is. We do not know if it *IS* a tumor, but to answer your questions, tumors can be all sorts of things. Some are cancerous lesions, and in that case I do not know of any anti cancer drugs used in parrots. So if it were cancerous, the quality of life for your bird would be dependent on the growth rate of the lesion on the liver and how fast or slow it effected the liver’s ability to operate.

Other tumors are not cancerous, but that does not mean they are to be ignored. Some growths are caused by the liver being harmed by its own damage control criterion- if the liver is battling a virus (or other infection) the liver parts that die will become scarred and inflamed in the liver’s and immune system’s push to respond to the viral invasion. In humans, liver issues can be ongoing for years with the many viruses that attack the liver and cause liver damage. In these cases, if a patient responds to drugs aimed at helping the liver or drugs for fighting the virus, prognosis is usually good.

And some other tumors, of which I would hazard a guess would not be your case are the many fatty tumors that are comprised of well, fat. Inflammation is not usually a precursor to fatty tumors. Fatty tumors are usually left alone unless they interfere with movement or get very large.
He is very hard to breath now.Usually,They take liver medications.How long can cure there breath problem.The vet tell us his situation,now.She said.He still hard to breath.If he gets tumor.I don’t want to let him to stay in hospital.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is very hard to breath now.Usually,They take liver medications.How long can cure there breath problem.The vet tell us his situation,now.She said.He still hard to breath.If he gets tumor.I don’t want to let him to stay in hospital.
I’m so sorry to learn that he is having breathing issues as well.
Unfortunately when the liver is very swollen, the extra room it takes up inside the parrot’s body means that it’s often pressing against the lung and the heart. Pressure on either of these organs can cause gasping and wheezing and shortness of breath. If your birdie is hospitalized, there’s a good chance he is receiving some medications to try and bring down the inflammatory swelling of that liver, to help him breathe. If the tissue is responsive, the medication will hopefully stop the swelling and bring the organ back to its normal state.

If the tissue is not responsive to the medication being provided, it would indicate the swelling most likely to be tumorous in nature. But, I hesitate to say that the prognosis would be poor if that were the case. A tumor of a large enough size to strain the lungs or heart would need to be surgically resected, and that may not be an option.

I am very sorry.

Eleanor

Meeting neighbors
I’m so sorry to learn that he is having breathing issues as well.
Unfortunately when the liver is very swollen, the extra room it takes up inside the parrot’s body means that it’s often pressing against the lung and the heart. Pressure on either of these organs can cause gasping and wheezing and shortness of breath. If your birdie is hospitalized, there’s a good chance he is receiving some medications to try and bring down the inflammatory swelling of that liver, to help him breathe. If the tissue is responsive, the medication will hopefully stop the swelling and bring the organ back to its normal state.

If the tissue is not responsive to the medication being provided, it would indicate the swelling most likely to be tumorous in nature. But, I hesitate to say that the prognosis would be poor if that were the case. A tumor of a large enough size to strain the lungs or heart would need to be surgically resected, and that may not be an option.

I am very sorry.
Thank you for your reply and help.