• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for help rehoming African grey

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Im sorry you are dealing with this, Fawkes looks like a sweet, beautiful soul. I really hope she finds a great home!

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
I talked to my avian vet and my macaw is not likely to develop asthma from proximity to her so I will not be rehomin Fawkes at this time. Thanks for reading the thread
I had my CAG in the same bedroom with our Severe Macaw and Senegal parrot for 18 hours/day for 15 years. No air filter or anything. My avian vet never mentioned a problem. Does anybody have any actual data saying that this incompatibility is a real problem?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some links in here

2MuchSauce

Moving in
Real Name
bubba
Sadly, I have to rehome my brothers African Grey. I bought her as a chick 13 years ago from Petsmart for my brother and served as her babysitter and secondary care giver until five years ago when I became her primary caregiver. I also have a blue throated macaw and a special needs sun conure who don’t handle the dust from Fawkes well despite baths and filtration. Of the three, Fawkes would do better in a new home. She is in perfect feather, loves to quietly sit on her perch in the room with you, doesn’t talk but communicates through specific whistles. She has worn a flight harness but hates it— it’s the only time she’ll growl. She can bite when frightened but has never bit me. I want to find her a good home where she can be in the same room as people on her stand and be loved and cared for. I don’t want her to go into a breeding situation or an overcrowded sanctuary or be resold to the highest bidder. We are located in Stover Missouri and I will be doing a home check before releasing her to her next home. She will come with her cage, toys, and food.
I already have a Severe Macaw and I am very interested in getting an African Grey .. is it possible to have them in the same room as long as they are not in the same cage? maybe just use air filters or humidifier?

2MuchSauce

Moving in
Real Name
bubba
I had my CAG in the same bedroom with our Severe Macaw and Senegal parrot for 18 hours/day for 15 years. No air filter or anything. My avian vet never mentioned a problem. Does anybody have any actual data saying that this incompatibility is a real problem?
I currently have a severe macaw and am very interested in getting an AG but I wasn't sure about the dust..
that's actually why I signed up for this blog

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We had a Macaw that died here who lived with one AG bird. There were air filtration systems in place. @Hankmacaw is well versed in this issue.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I currently have a severe macaw and am very interested in getting an AG but I wasn't sure about the dust..
that's actually why I signed up for this blog
Please read everything you can about the respiratory issues. It's serious.

beachdreamer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elizabeth
Does anyone know of any Amazons that have died as a result of pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome or is it just Macaws? I have an African Grey and asked a question about adding an Amazon months ago. Thank goodness Hankmacaw shared the information about pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome and I decided not to get the Amazon. A friend of mine has an African Grey and was talking about getting an Amazon. After I told him about this, he talked to his Avian Vet and they said there wasn't a problem since it was an Amazon and not a Macaw. I am just so frustrated with all of the different information I am hearing. There seems to be no question about this with the Macaws but I just wondered if anyone knew of an Amazon dying from this so I could share it with my friend. If you have any articles or references, I would really appreciate it. It really scares me if Avian Vets are not up to date on this but I saw an earlier message in this thread where that person's Avian vet said they didn't need to worry either.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unfortunately. some vets are not really up to snuff on current information. There are some like Dr. Scott Echols. Dr. Orsoz, and Dr. Speers (many more as well) who are leaders in the profession and you can trust their opinions, because they are heavy into research as well as practice.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One time a few years back I e mailed Dr. Spears a medical bird question and the next day he answered me. He was amazing. I no longer have his e mail address but his clinic is easily found in California and you could call them and ask. The Medical Center for Birds - Oakley, CA -

Last edited:

beachdreamer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elizabeth
Thank you so much. I am determined to get something definitive in writing. I just learned that the same Avian Vet saying it's not a problem to mix Amazons and African Greys is also one of the consulting vets for a rescue.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Sadly, I have to rehome my brothers African Grey. I bought her as a chick 13 years ago from Petsmart for my brother and served as her babysitter and secondary care giver until five years ago when I became her primary caregiver. I also have a blue throated macaw and a special needs sun conure who don’t handle the dust from Fawkes well despite baths and filtration. Of the three, Fawkes would do better in a new home. She is in perfect feather, loves to quietly sit on her perch in the room with you, doesn’t talk but communicates through specific whistles. She has worn a flight harness but hates it— it’s the only time she’ll growl. She can bite when frightened but has never bit me. I want to find her a good home where she can be in the same room as people on her stand and be loved and cared for. I don’t want her to go into a breeding situation or an overcrowded sanctuary or be resold to the highest bidder. We are located in Stover Missouri and I will be doing a home check before releasing her to her next home. She will come with her cage, toys, and food.
Did you find a new home yet?