• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for help rehoming African grey

Becky Doak

Moving in
Sadly, I have to rehome my brothers African Grey. I bought her as a chick 13 years ago from Petsmart for my brother and served as her babysitter and secondary care giver until five years ago when I became her primary caregiver. I also have a blue throated macaw and a special needs sun conure who don’t handle the dust from Fawkes well despite baths and filtration. Of the three, Fawkes would do better in a new home. She is in perfect feather, loves to quietly sit on her perch in the room with you, doesn’t talk but communicates through specific whistles. She has worn a flight harness but hates it— it’s the only time she’ll growl. She can bite when frightened but has never bit me. I want to find her a good home where she can be in the same room as people on her stand and be loved and cared for. I don’t want her to go into a breeding situation or an overcrowded sanctuary or be resold to the highest bidder. We are located in Stover Missouri and I will be doing a home check before releasing her to her next home. She will come with her cage, toys, and food.

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's a small world. I've been to Stover.

I'm sorry and hopeful you will find a good home.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Sadly, I have to rehome my brothers African Grey. I bought her as a chick 13 years ago from Petsmart for my brother and served as her babysitter and secondary care giver until five years ago when I became her primary caregiver. I also have a blue throated macaw and a special needs sun conure who don’t handle the dust from Fawkes well despite baths and filtration. Of the three, Fawkes would do better in a new home. She is in perfect feather, loves to quietly sit on her perch in the room with you, doesn’t talk but communicates through specific whistles. She has worn a flight harness but hates it— it’s the only time she’ll growl. She can bite when frightened but has never bit me. I want to find her a good home where she can be in the same room as people on her stand and be loved and cared for. I don’t want her to go into a breeding situation or an overcrowded sanctuary or be resold to the highest bidder. We are located in Stover Missouri and I will be doing a home check before releasing her to her next home. She will come with her cage, toys, and food.
Awwww, a little sweety there in Fawkes. You'll have no problem.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
While I'm glad Fawkes is not looking for a home, we've had macaws on our forum die because of African grey dust, even across the house and with quality air filters running. :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Becky Doak - I don't want to contradict your vet, but I will.

Pulmonary Hypersensitive Syndrome is very dangerous for your Blue Throat and also for your conure. Yes, several of our members have lost their bird to this horrific disease and I shudder every time I see people keeping Powder Dust birds with New World birds. Some have kept them together many years, but you never know which New World bird is sensitive to the powder down.

Please Read:

Your decision to rehome your AG was the correct decision.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I keep my 2 macaws in separate areas in our house that's away from my dusty birds. They aren't ever brought into the same rooms where my dusty flock resides. I also have several Rabbit Airs running 24-7.
Would you be able to keep them separated moving forward?

Becky Doak

Moving in
No unfortunately keeping them separated is not an option. I live in a small two bedroom cabin with my parents right now and will be moving to a one bedroom flat above their garage this fall. In the summer, they get to go outside and enjoy the fresh air in their outside cages on the porch but in the winter it’s very close quarters. I did do some more research and I think my sun conure is starting to have issues with the dust as she sneezes a lot. I’ve decided to relinquish Fawkes to STAR, a St. Louis based avian rescue

Becky Doak

Moving in
I keep my 2 macaws in separate areas in our house that's away from my dusty birds. They aren't ever brought into the same rooms where my dusty flock resides. I also have several Rabbit Airs running 24-7.
No unfortunately I live in a small two bedroom house with my parents right now and will be moving to a one bedroom studio above my parents garage in the fall. In the summer, they get to spend the day time on the porch in their cages with fresh air but in the winter it’s pretty tight quarters

Becky Doak

Moving in
No unfortunately I live in a small two bedroom house with my parents right now and will be moving to a one bedroom studio above my parents garage in the fall. In the summer, they get to spend the day time on the porch in their cages with fresh air but in the winter it’s pretty tight quarters
I think my sun may be starting to have breathing issues as she sneezes a lot so I e decided to give Fawkes to STAR a St. Louis based avian rescue

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I talked to my avian vet and my macaw is not likely to develop asthma from proximity to her

Please do more research on this because I do not believe it is true since we had a Mac die from being exposed to a grey, just one grey. It does not happen overnight but as said by others you would almost need two homes to keep with two separate air systems to keep you birds healthy. I am sorry because I know this is not what you want to hear.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have contacted a foster based rescue for help rehoming my grey. After all the research you all pointed me to, I just can risk my other birds healths simply because I want to keep all three birds with me.
Such a hard decision to make and I’m so sorry you’ve had to make it, obviously your heart is in the right place for all three of these birds. :hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry :(

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have contacted a foster based rescue for help rehoming my grey. After all the research you all pointed me to, I just can risk my other birds healths simply because I want to keep all three birds with me.
I'm so sorry.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you been looking for awhile for someone to adopt him directly? If not, may I encourage you to exhaust this avenue first before relinquishing him to a sanctuary. Who knows how long he'd languish there before someone's approved for adoption.
Also, have you visited STAR to see firsthand what their program and set up is like? Some of their Google ratings aren't high

Last edited: