• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Help Placing a European Starling

Tirzah15

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello bird community! I'm in North Florida and so excited to join the forum - I have really enjoyed reading through several interesting threads. I personally have a couple of English sparrows, two cockatiels, and a small, wonderful flock of chickens.
I'm posting today because I'm currently babysitting a starling while the foster parent is out of town, and she is in need of finding him a permanent home. She'd really like for me to keep him (which is tempting of course because I'm already in love with him after having him at my house over the holidays), but I soon will be moving my elderly grandparents into my house to care for them, and have too much on my plate between caring for the grandparents, my own birds, and having a full time job.
My friend ended up with the starling because someone had handraised him, and then couldn't keep him. They found her through the grapevine and reached out because she has a family of birds herself, and so she took the starling in as a foster knowing he'd need someone knowledgeable about birds and their care to guide him to the proper home. Between all her birds (several rescue parrots and budgies), her kids, and her job, she's happy to foster him but would like to find a permanent home, and I told her I'd help however I can. From my experience and research, I know starlings are incredibly intelligent birds who need someone knowledgeable to provide them an appropriate set up and enriching life. I'm reaching out to the forum to see if there are any starling people we can connect with to maybe find the most fitting home possible.
This is what i know about him:
*First things first, I'm not sure of gender
*Approximately 8 months to 1 year old
*Super friendly, curious, and afraid of nothing and no one
*Not at all aggressive with people, other birds, or animals
*Absolutely loves attention and people

If anyone feels that they can be helpful in connecting him to an awesome forever home, please don't hesitate to reach out - I attached a few pics and I'll include my cell number as well (baltimore number but I've lived in jacksonville for 10 years). After babysitting him, I'm super invested in his wellbeing - he's so precious and deserves the best life. Hope to hear from you guys!
My number is 443-986-1861
Tirzah

Attachments

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Oh my... I know IL is far away, but I gave your # and some of the info to a cherished friend nearby... He lost his precious Starling a couple of years ago, and misses her SO MUCH...
We'll just wait and see where God leads... :swoon:

Tirzah15

Checking out the neighborhood
Oh my... I know IL is far away, but I gave your # and some of the info to a cherished friend nearby... He lost his precious Starling a couple of years ago, and misses her SO MUCH...
We'll just wait and see where God leads... :swoon:
Wow thank you so much!! If the right home is out there, I'm sure something can be figured out!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Worth keeping in mind for anyone interested, to check local laws and regulations on keeping such bird as a pet.

Good luck finding him a great home Tirzah :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Worth keeping in mind for anyone interested, to check local laws and regulations on keeping such bird as a pet.

Good luck finding him a great home Tirzah :)
Good point but Starlings are non native and are not protected in any way by US wildlife laws so to my knowledge there are no restrictions in the US with regard to keeping a European starling. Native birds are another story. Non natives are considered pests as far as I know.

I love them all of course.