• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Fruit Dove Care Advice

Articus

Sitting on the front steps
Recently my father found a nest of Grey-green Fruit Dove from cutting down a tree on the farm he works at. He has since gifted me two of them and I'd like to make sure I'm giving them the correct care they deserve.

I don't have an estimated age for them as I've only handfed parrots and are only knowledgeable in that area. They are smaller than the size of a palm, partially feathered with the only parts with no feathers being their underwing and and some pin feathers behind their neck.

They are able to fly quite well, one of them flew up to the air conditioner which gave me quite a scare since the ceiling fan and windows were close. I haven't had the chance to weigh them recently as the scale I use is with my mother's friend for a couple of days, last I remember they weighed out at 40g average (The younger being 34g and the older is 43g, this was weighed one week ago though).

They have a very good appetite and is active. They're always begging for food even after their crop is full, pecking and nibbling on the toes and hands of the nearest human possible. I feed them a half parrot formula and half bird safe baby cereal mix, both ingredients contain large amount of fruit and vegetables origin along with grain, using a syringe.They are currently fed every 5 hours with 10ml but I do feed them earlier if I feel their crop has emptied out.

From what I've learnt from my father, the absolutely hated eating when they were under his care and refused to open their beak. But on the first day he brought them back, I decided to feed them some apple puree by hand and it seems that got them hooked on eating.

They are also currently caged in a baby parrot cage, housing with my recently weaned Monk Parrot (I've made sure they are comfortable with each other and non-aggressive, my Monk even preens them sometime!), with a low hanging perch, accessible water bowl they drink from and food bowl filled mostly with seeds that I see them peck on from time to time.

It'd be great if anyone has had experience in keeping Fruit Doves that can tutor me, thank you!

Image of the elder one almost 2 months ago along with a Javan Myna my father is currently raising

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Bump!
Sorry, I have no experience with Fruit Doves. But it sounds like you are doing a great job! I'm so glad that you are helping them out and giving them a chance to live :)

Articus

@Gigibirds
Thanks for the boost!

Got the chance to weigh both of them today and the younger one was 70g while the older (and larger by a margin) was 69g

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have no experience with fruit doves - only ringnecks - so I'm not sure what advice I can give regarding diet. Could you explain a fruit dove's diet in the wild to us? That would help a lot; I can't find very specific information online. The diet you're feeding them sounds pretty solid though; good. Weighing them every day is a great idea - you'll be able to tell if they're gaining weight correctly. Are you keeping them in a brooder? How long have they been with people now? Sounds to me you're well on the right track. They look very good! Offering them water and food already is also great - this is a great time to introduce them to a wide variety of food so you have an easier time giving them a healthy diet later on. Not sure what else to say; looks to me like you're well on the right track. :) Thanks for taking care of them!
Oh now I'm seeing that the picture is two months old - they still haven't fledged? Could you share some pics of them now? :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I would not house the dove with a quaker parrot. It´s not a good mix at all.

Articus

@Sodapop&Co.
They have a fruit based diet in the wild and are able to eat some wild fruit humans can't. From my father's observations though, the wild ones on the farm he works at would eat anything from seeds to chicken feed.

I am not keeping them in a brooder as my father has told me they do fine without one and I've never once seen them shiver or any other signs of cold.

They've been around people for 3 weeks now as the photo was taken shortly after my father found them. They're currently somewhat fledged, able to fly a short distance and good height to escape any sticky situation they could get into.

Here's the photo of the elder one as the younger one prefers to nibble on my finger whilst standing on my phone and distract me

Thank you for the in-depth analysis!

@Zara
Noted, I'll separate them as soon as possible. Thanks for the help!

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They look very good, and their fledging sounds perfect. I've raised a couple Ringneck doves; miss those days of babies. I handraised my one baby Damien after his parents abandoned him. While he was still on hand feedings I went camping with my family (in an rv) and, of course, couldn't leave him at home. So he first discovered his wings in a provincial park! The sweetest little guy; never grew out of trying to feed from my fingers! Unfortunately I had to rehome him recently for medical reasons, along with most of my other birds. Miss him so much. Doves are the best. <3

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Know nothing about fruit doves, but, they sure are cute!

Articus

@Sodapop&Co.
Aw, I hope you get better soon and I'm sure Damien enjoys their new home and misses you just as you miss them! I agree with the doves, they really are smart, cute and fluffy.

@Birdbabe
Thanks for checking out anyways!

Articus

The elder one is showing some worrying signs. They've been refusing their formula for the past two days unlike their younger sibling but I've still force fed them at least half the portion. They still peck eagerly at my fingers for food though.

It might just be a sign of them weaning themselves and I'm just over reacting (My Monk Parrot weaned themselves within three days which confused me a lot since most articles say it'd take at least a month). They do peck at the seeds I provide in their cage but I was never able to see clearly if they're eating it or playing with it, they're able to drink water by themselves too.

I haven't had the chance to get any fresh fruits for them so I plan on stealing some mulberry from my neighbor's plant (They don't care, my family has asked for permission once and they said they wanted to plant for fun but ended up throwing it to nature to care for it and only picking the produce once in awhile. The plants are doing surprisingly doing good though).

edit; Somehow forgot to add the most worrying factor. I was about to feed them in the morning when they tilted their head down and formula along with a translucent liquid came out. I'm really not sure wether they were vomiting or regurgitating. They've also been dropping quite a number of feathers, somewhat large ones too. Are young doves supposed to molt?

Last edited: