• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for foster to adopt for my Sun Conure Lily, Maryland

Lily_Tom

Moving in
Real Name
Diane
We are looking for a foster-to-adopt agreement. I’m crying as I am typing this, but we need to rehome Lily, our very loved, hand-tame, DNA-sexed female Sun Conure. About a year ago, my husband developed tinnitus and unfortunately since then it is being made continuously worse by her screaming. Lily is NOT an excessive screecher by any means, but she needs to be close to us since she is our only bird, so for my husband there is no escape from her suddenly and loudly screeching near him (usually only if she sees or hears something, like a bird of prey outside).

We are very concerned that she not be accepted only to be re-sold, and as such we will require a signed contract that she will be returned to us if for any reason you are no longer willing or able to care for her. This contract stipulates that if she dies while in your care that she will be taken to a vet for necropsy and that report will be provided to us. We are serious about enforcing this contract, so please only persons interested in providing a home to her need apply. We will not re-home her to someone that is interested in breeding her. If we are convinced that you will provide a loving home for years to come, we are willing to forgo the re-homing fee.

Lily is a fully flighted, secure flyer, and follows us around throughout the day (we work from home). She is very sweet and she has never bitten us hard or drawn blood. She bites sometimes to communicate something, but not aggressively. However, she is territorial around her cage and we can’t have her outside of her cage if we have guests over. She was with a friend for a week while we were on vacation and she didn’t show any aggression towards people or birds (our friend has an Amazon); her territorial behavior seems to be limited to around her cage at home. Lily is about 80% potty-trained and understands the request “go potty”. It’s easy to get her back in her cage in exchange for a treat. She loves having breakfast with us, being on us and with us all day long, and finally cuddling with us at night while we watch TV. Lily was hatched June 6, 2019 at the JC Aviary in Austin, Texas. She just had her yearly wellness checkup on March 24, 2022 with an exotic vet, who said she is in excellent health. We are happy to provide her health care records from this appointment. We can provide her hatch records too. She is on a diet of Roudybush pellets and fresh fruit (vegetables are offered, but mostly ignored). We think that she is perfect and we would never give her up if it wasn’t for my husband’s health.

We are very concerned that she not end up in the wrong hands, and are willing to go through great lengths to make sure that that won’t happen. We are looking for a foster to adopt arrangement with a strict contract that states that she must be returned to us if you do not keep her. Under no circumstances may she be sold to a third party, and this must be agreed upon by a legally binding contract.

We would love for her to have a conure companion; we now understand that she needs that. If it wasn’t for the tinnitus, we would have gotten another conure. She is used to flying around and at this point we think clipping her wings would be cruel. Since conures are loud and not apartment-friendly pets, we would prefer someone who owns the place they live in to make sure that won’t be a problem. We have her outside her cage for most of the day, so daily time outside of her cage for socialization and exercise is a must, unless you keep her in a big aviary and she has a companion. If you think that you are a good fit, we would like to talk to you over the phone to give you more details. Please don’t feel offended if we ask you for an avian vet reference, ask about your living situation, your experience with parrots, the cages you have, and other related questions. We only ask because we care. She comes with two bigger cages, one travel cage, one travel backpack, several parrot stands and food.

Attachments

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome! Though I'm sorry it's unfortunate circumstances that brought you here.

I hope that you're able to find a great home for Lily, it really shows how much you care for and love your bird.

I'm very sorry that you're in this situation. :sad5:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful girl she is,I'm so sorry that you've had to make this decision it's clear to see that you absolutely adore her. I hope that yall are able to find the most amazing home for her.

Lily_Tom

Moving in
Real Name
Diane
Hi and welcome! Though I'm sorry it's unfortunate circumstances that brought you here.

I hope that you're able to find a great home for Lily, it really shows how much you care for and love your bird.

Thank you for your kind words. I am heartbroken.

Lily_Tom

Moving in
Real Name
Diane
What a beautiful girl she is,I'm so sorry that you've had to make this decision it's clear to see that you absolutely adore her. I hope that yall are able to find the most amazing home for her.
Thank you so much for your kind words. It's all so difficult. I don't want to have to do this.

Lily_Tom

Moving in
Real Name
Diane
Thank you so much! She truly is. She is so sweet, too. And funny and cute. It breaks my heart to give her up.

Lily_Tom

Moving in
Real Name
Diane

[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much. I love her to no end. Until we find a really good home for her, she is not going anywhere. I'm so heartbroken about the situation.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry you have to rehome ..its heartbreaking ..

KBEquine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Are you sure your husband's tinnitus is forever [I don't know much about it]. Could you find someone to foster her until you know if you can take her back? I know that might be a harder decision that simply placing her. Or it may not. I'm just throwing it out there.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are you sure your husband's tinnitus is forever [I don't know much about it]. Could you find someone to foster her until you know if you can take her back? I know that might be a harder decision that simply placing her. Or it may not. I'm just throwing it out there.
Awesome question!
I know when I was first diagnosed with tinnitus and fluctuating pressure in my ears I honestly thought I was going mad and everything seemed to aggravate it- it’s still there but I notice it much less

Molly

Moving in
Real Name
Molly Shiley
We are in Omaha, NE and looking for a conure. I am just looking for one though so she would probably be the only bird in the house. If that's not a good fit, I understand.