• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for forever home for my Sweet Pea.

Hyacinth

Moving in
I have a beautiful Green Cheeked Conure that is approximately 1.5 years old. She's got a red heart on her belly and a tint of red under her wings and tail feathers. I dearly love her, but my husband does not--even after 1.5 years. He is not friendly towards her even though she wants to be his friend. She bit him on his nose when I first brought her home from the pet store. She needed more taming. I cannot count on his help with her when I can't be here and recently had to be away for 2 1/2 months to help my daughter in Germany, so had to find someone to care for her while I was gone. When I got Sweet Pea, I wasn't planning on traveling overseas or being gone for months anywhere. I have a large cage for her, and a small travel cage that would go with her. I am asking $200 for her and all of her supplies. My being gone so long was difficult for her and for me, but was unavoidable. I am in Evans Mills, NY. Anyone live near me that has knowledge of conures and could give her a good, loving home?

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Awwww! What a cute little maroon bellied! (I see no green cheek)

So sorry you have to find her a new home! :( I would definitely update your information though to include her correct species! :) (your post can't be edited, but for future reference or if you have her posted anywhere else)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi

So sorry you have to find her a new home! :( I would definitely update your information though to include her correct species! :) (your post can't be edited, but for future reference or if you have her posted anywhere else)

You beat me to it!

Giving this thread a bump, also I wish you were near me I would adopt her in a heartbeat.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I don't live close but she would be welcome to visit with my for GCCs while you visit your daughter.
Gosh, I need to not read when I am tired. Oh, I would love to give her a permanent home. The travel to get her this time of year could be iffy. This coming from a retired truck driver. I have four other GCCs. 3 male and one female. We do not breed either, as there are enough birds. If you do not find someone close, please keep me in mind. My home and heart are big enough for another birb!

Hyacinth

Moving in

Thank you for the information. The pet store called her a Green cheeked Conure. I can see from the pic that they were wrong. I really don't want to have to find a home for her. I love her to bits. I may just take my ad down. My husband doesn't like her--but I love her. Don't know that I could part with her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I love her to bits. I may just take my ad down. My husband doesn't like her--but I love her. Don't know that I could part with her.
Maybe a conversation with your husband could help?
About a year ago, my partner told me that he didn´t like my dog when we first got together (we moved in together right away)... I couldn´t believe it! He loves my dog so much now and I would have never have even thought that if he had not told me.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My gusband hated my Zon when I first got him. Hubby is a huge animal person & I was shocked. They became the very best of friends over a 2 year period once hubby started reading AA & applying the AA veterans rules & wisdom to his relationship w/ Buddy. He has never posted here 1 time. Patience & time is what it takes as long as your husband has never threatened the nest area & only talked a "little mean" to your fid.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Where do you live? I am in Evans Mills, NY.
I live south of Indianapolis, but if you needed a home for her 20200111_111209.jpg 20200110_104326.jpg , I would make the drive to come get her. However, I do so hope you are able to keep her. I love my birds so much, I now know I could never part with them.

(That is not me in that ugly yellow robe. Oh, wait, I made him that ugly robe.)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sadly, it's an easy mistake. Many people think that maroon bellieds are green cheeks... and many people assume that the conures that look like green cheeks are just different colors of green cheeks... but that would be like comparing the big cats. A mountain lion isn't a different color than an african/asian lion. They may appear similar but they are completely different species.

We have one member purchased what she thought was a green cheek, but after some years, people said she must be a green cheek x maroon bellied hybrid. Years later (I think when she, the bird, was around 11 years old), it was finally determined that she was a maroon bellied!

I don't have one myself, but I do believe that maroon bellieds are under-appreciated! :)

Any chance your husband is willing to do *anything* for your little girl? Even if it's literally dropping a treat inside her cage as he walks by? He doesn't even need to feed it to her, literally drop it into a dish and keep on going.

Hyacinth

Moving in
Gosh, I need to not read when I am tired. Oh, I would love to give her a permanent home. The travel to get her this time of year could be iffy. This coming from a retired truck driver. I have four other GCCs. 3 male and one female. We do not breed either, as there are enough birds. If you do not find someone close, please keep me in mind. My home and heart are big enough for another birb!
The pet store told me she was a GCC, but come to find out--she's a Maroonbellied Conure. Someone sent me a pic. All this time I've been learning about the wrong one. I'm gonna have to look at her papers. I wonder if they're wrong too. Where do you live--what state?

Hyacinth

Moving in
Sadly, it's an easy mistake. Many people think that maroon bellieds are green cheeks... and many people assume that the conures that look like green cheeks are just different colors of green cheeks... but that would be like comparing the big cats. A mountain lion isn't a different color than an african/asian lion. They may appear similar but they are completely different species.

We have one member purchased what she thought was a green cheek, but after some years, people said she must be a green cheek x maroon bellied hybrid. Years later (I think when she, the bird, was around 11 years old), it was finally determined that she was a maroon bellied!

I don't have one myself, but I do believe that maroon bellieds are under-appreciated! :)

Any chance your husband is willing to do *anything* for your little girl? Even if it's literally dropping a treat inside her cage as he walks by? He doesn't even need to feed it to her, literally drop it into a dish and keep on going.
I've asked, but we will see. She bit him the day I brought her home from the store. He had made a sound that scared her. She wasn't oriented to our place yet. It was understandable that she got scared figuring how big he is to her. Granted, their beaks are razor sharp and I'm sure it hurt like the dickens--but she was just a baby then. She's much more used to things now that I've had her for 1 1/2 years. The poor thing's molting at the moment. She's got little pin feathers everywhere. Do you, by any chance, know anything about trimming their nails? I don't know how long is good and how long is too long.

Hyacinth

Moving in
I've asked, but we will see. She bit him the day I brought her home from the store. He had made a sound that scared her. She wasn't oriented to our place yet. It was understandable that she got scared figuring how big he is to her. Granted, their beaks are razor sharp and I'm sure it hurt like the dickens--but she was just a baby then. She's much more used to things now that I've had her for 1 1/2 years. The poor thing's molting at the moment. She's got little pin feathers everywhere. Do you, by any chance, know anything about trimming their nails? I don't know how long is good and how long is too long.
Where would I ask my question about trimming her nails on this forum?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely. May be able to e plain. Birds can bleed out (I believe if you trim them to far) I just carefully file (w/ an emery board) the tips on my Zon's but he's in a towel every day so it's easy peasy after you get him a towel. Plus after 2 years of me toweling him that's easy peasy for me...

If she doesn't or isn't able to explain, she'll know who can help you. Most vet's have this as part of their care, for a nominal fee.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
The pet store told me she was a GCC, but come to find out--she's a Maroonbellied Conure. Someone sent me a pic. All this time I've been learning about the wrong one. I'm gonna have to look at her papers. I wonder if they're wrong too. Where do you live--what state?
Indiana, just south of Indianapolis. I am a retired, not by choice, truck driver.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
What color is the top of her tail? If itvis red/maroon, then she is a green cherk. If it is green on top, but reddish underneath, then she is a maroon bellied.