• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Cockatoos, not getting SCAMMED

ALChapmon

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alfred Chapmon
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am retired military (Disabled Army Veteran) on a fixed income. I had Cockatoos while I was active duty but had to sell them when I was sent on a deployment as I couldn't find anyone willing to take care of them and keep them for me for an unknown length of time. I had several cages and kept a few of them. I now live in Hamilton TX at my permanent home, a small ranch in Central TX. I'd really love to get another pair of Cockatoos. Being disabled, I pretty much stay at home and I'd like a pair of forever companions to keep me company. I do have a plan in place should anything happen to me and a care-taker be needed, as my now adult daughter has assured me that she will most certainly take care of any birds that I may have. The problem I have is that everything I find is either ridiculously high, or what I feel is quite certainly a SCAM. I am looking for REPUTABLE Cockatoo Breeders in Central TX where I can go look at, pick out, and purchase a couple of baby Cockatoos. I am hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction. Everything I find at Pet Stores cost as much as a new car and I've never really liked getting anything from a pet store anyway. Everything I find online wants me to send a $500+ deposit without seeing anything but pictures, so they can get the VET Check, shots, registration... and I can have them shipped or pick them up next week. Then when I question this, they start up with the 'YOU NO TRUST ME" routine. Please help. I don't want to get SCAMMED (can't afford to get SCAMMED), nor do I want to have to mortgage my house to get a couple of Baby Cockatoos. Thanks in Advance for any Help.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I am curious why you feel strongly about finding a baby?
I rather doubt that anyone legitimately sells them for a price you'd be willing to pay.
However if you will consider adopting the price is usually only a few hundred dollars and you have a companion whose temperament is less of a surprise.
Also, many parrot rescues will accept the birds back if you no longer can care for them, so no burden on your daughter.
Is there a reason you'd prefer not to adopt an older bird?

ALChapmon

Real Name
Alfred Chapmon
Actually, I am totally open to adoption. Have not seen or heard anything where anyone had a Cockatoo up for adoption. I've spent a couple of months looking online. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places? I got my last two as babies. I felt there was a very strong bond in having raised them as babies. But again, I would totally be open to adopting / rehoming just as well if anyone knows of Toos up for adoption / rehoming.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
All large birds are crazy expensive these days if you get them from reputable breeders. Your best bet is a rehome or a rescue.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Actually, I am totally open to adoption. Have not seen or heard anything where anyone had a Cockatoo up for adoption. I've spent a couple of months looking online. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places? I got my last two as babies. I felt there was a very strong bond in having raised them as babies. But again, I would totally be open to adopting / rehoming just as well if anyone knows of Toos up for adoption / rehoming.
I googled Central Texas Parrot rescues and got a number of possibilities. The only one I know about is Magnolia, they have a good reputation.
I'd suggest making another post asking for recommendations about Texas parrot rescues. I'm sure there are folks here who are familiar with more than I know.
Also - have you tried the website Urgent Need for Pet Adoption - Find Dogs & Cats & More | Petfinder? (although I tried and maybe these rescues don't care to list on Petfinder, you may need to search the individual rescues and contact by phone or email. These small places are often strapped for time and you may need to try again. check both their websites and facebook too.)
And lastly, The Gabriel Foundation here in CO happily works with out-of-state adopters, but you do need to visit in-person.
They have a number of cockatoos with big personalities, and some come with an already-friend!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am happy that you are open to adoption. Many parrot rescues are over flowing with cockatoos. I have actually heard of at least one that is putting a hold on taking in any more cockatoos because they can't adopt them out fast enough to keep up with the constant inflow. My goffin, Elvis is from a rescue and he's the best bird. A rascal but a joy.

I am not personally familiar with theses rescues but here are some in Texas:

Home | Texas Parrot Rescue
Parrot - Magnolia Exotic Bird Sanctuary and Adoption
Parrot Garden | Best Friends Animal Society - Save Them All

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
like @sunnysmom said, there's an abundance of Cockatoos at rescues.
I just went to TGF's list and there are 27 on there, and quite often they are too busy to get new arrivals on until they have cleared quarantine.
they usually write a little blurb about each one's personality, some do not like men.
Birds for Adoption | Petfinder

ALChapmon

Real Name
Alfred Chapmon
like @sunnysmom said, there's an abundance of Cockatoos at rescues.
I just went to TGF's list and there are 27 on there, and quite often they are too busy to get new arrivals on until they have cleared quarantine.
they usually write a little blurb about each one's personality, some do not like men.
Birds for Adoption | Petfinder
TGF's ??? Can you give me a website? I'm not familiar.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think Lula and Ollie (page 2 & 3) are sweet and already bonded. They seem like they could be a possibility for you. All the best to you whichever way you decide to go. :heart:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I've been to The Gabriel Foundation and it is an incredible place with lots of birds looking for homes. Keep us posted on your progress toward bringing cockatoos back into your life! :)