• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Cockatiel Cage Advice!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Hi peeps! Haha... get it? :laugh: Happy Easter!

As some of you may know I want to get a bigger cage for my cockatiel, Charlie :) I've been eyeing this one a lot: Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand, Chalk White, Large: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

However, I've never had any experience with Prevue cages so I want to make sure they are non toxic (they are made in China) and safe! The springy bits worry me, but I should be able to sand them down and cover them with vet wrap.

I still have to convince my mom about the whole thing, but I am pretty sure she will agree if the cage is white to fit with her ~decor~ xD

Long story short, I'm having a hard time finding white cages under 400 canadian dollars that are big enough (around 30" x 20" or more) with small bar spacing as well. I'll keep on researching, but I thought asking for this forum's priceless advice wouldnt hurt!

Thank you as always and have a good night! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
@MR. Mango has this cage. If I remember correctly, they had some regrets. However, they do have a conure, not a cockatiel.

As for the prevue pet products brand, it's trusted and recommended by many. I currently have three prevue cages.

Reviews mention that it's somewhat rickety. I've seen this model at local pet stores, and it does appear that the reviews speak the truth. Plenty of online videos with the cage being reviewed as well.

Prevue Pet Products 3352BLK Park Plaza Bird Cage, Black Hammertone: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
I have this cage, and it's been holding up well. Mine is at least five years old (got it at a thrift store). It's excellent if you're alright with a taller cage. My cockatiel loves it, but he has plenty of time out of the cage as well. It doesn't shake or rattle and is easy to move around the house.

A&E cages are also quite nice if you can get them (only a few were available on Amazon).
1617637684905.png This one is a 'tiel owner favorite. I had a cousin who used this cage for their cockatiel.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@MR. Mango has this cage. If I remember correctly, they had some regrets. However, they do have a conure, not a cockatiel.

As for the prevue pet products brand, it's trusted and recommended by many. I currently have three prevue cages.

Reviews mention that it's somewhat rickety. I've seen this model at local pet stores, and it does appear that the reviews speak the truth. Plenty of online videos with the cage being reviewed as well.

Prevue Pet Products 3352BLK Park Plaza Bird Cage, Black Hammertone: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
I have this cage, and it's been holding up well. Mine is at least five years old (got it at a thrift store). It's excellent if you're alright with a taller cage. My cockatiel loves it, but he has plenty of time out of the cage as well. It doesn't shake or rattle and is easy to move around the house.

A&E cages are also quite nice if you can get them (only a few were available on Amazon).
View attachment 378333 This one is a 'tiel owner favorite. I had a cousin who used this cage for their cockatiel.
Thank you for the suggestions!! I'll look into these and video reviews, good idea!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do have the exact same cage, I overall think it’s a pretty good cage and easy to use especially given the size and price, I got mine for 115 usd. The only thing to be wary of is that there are some side access doors that can be pushed open my sun conure, Mango, likes to push them slightly open but he can’t actually escape, regardless I would still secure the doors on the side by zip ties or vet wrap, the assembly was also a little tricky and required two peeps but was pretty straightforward, all in all it’s a pretty great cage

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I do have the exact same cage, I overall think it’s a pretty good cage and easy to use especially given the size and price, I got mine for 115 usd. The only thing to be wary of is that there are some side access doors that can be pushed open my sun conure, Mango, likes to push them slightly open but he can’t actually escape, regardless I would still secure the doors on the side by zip ties or vet wrap, the assembly was also a little tricky and required two peeps but was pretty straightforward, all in all it’s a pretty great cage
Thank you so much for your input! Zip ties or vet wrap should do the trick indeed :) Charlie isn't an aggressive chewer

Update on the whole situation: My mom is far from convinced about getting a bigger cage even if I pay for it :( But it isn't completely out of question, she just wants the vet's opinion first (Charlie will get his checkup soon) and ideally a "prettier" cage... but also maybe horizontal instead of vertical.... o_O Wish me luck! :lol:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Wishing you luck in your cage search! It can be tricky to find the perfect one. My girl is in a A&E 32x21 flight and I’m a huge fan of them.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Wishing you luck in your cage search! It can be tricky to find the perfect one. My girl is in a A&E 32x21 flight and I’m a huge fan of them.
Thank you Sylvi! I'm definitely adding this one to my list of potential cages :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure that whatever cage you get is large enough for a cockatiel. Many of the fancier cages are far too small and will not give your bird enough room to move around. A larger cage also offers you more scope for adding toys, perches and foraging activities.

Based on wingspan information, this site recommends a minimum cage size of 32x21: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Make sure that whatever cage you get is large enough for a cockatiel. Many of the fancier cages are far too small and will not give your bird enough room to move around. A larger cage also offers you more scope for adding toys, perches and foraging activities.

Based on wingspan information, this site recommends a minimum cage size of 32x21: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages
Yup thats exactly why I want a bigger cage, the fancy one he currently has is only 21 x 17 x 28 :( I want to give him more toys without hindering his mobility! I was asking for fancy cages because thats what my mom likes so it might help convincing her, but I personally couldn't care less, I just want more space for my baby to move around and play. I'll keep doing my best to convince her, I'm hoping the vet will agree with me during his checkup next week, that should help convincing her hopefully! In the meantime Charlie is getting lots of out of cage time :) I'm starting to look forward to moving out so I can give him the best possible environment!

Last edited:

Gigibirds

What if you kept his cage in your room or something? then it wouldn't matter too much what it looks like.......Good luck finding the perfect cage - I'm also on a cage hunt and I know how hard it is!!!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
What if you kept his cage in your room or something? then it wouldn't matter too much what it looks like.......Good luck finding the perfect cage - I'm also on a cage hunt and I know how hard it is!!!
Thats actually a really good idea!! However, I don't spend much time in my room since it's quite small so he would definitely be lonely, and I'm not sure my allergies and asthma would approve! :lol: Charlie's dust hasn't been a problem for me any more than pollen but this is probably because I rarely am near his cage (although I do keep it as clean as I can, it's hard to keep up with all that dander!) so I'd rather not take the chance ;) Thank you though!! Good luck on your search as well! :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would get the ring removed. I think it is more of a hazard than the cage, and it can get caught on so many other things too.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I would get the ring removed. I think it is more of a hazard than the cage, and it can get caught on so many other things too.
Got it, thats what I'll do, thank you! :heart: The vet did warn me about it.

I was hesitant at first because it never bothered him and I thought that maybe if he gets lost it'll be easier to identify him I guess, but in reality a ring is probably not much help in such cases, a bunch of pictures should do the trick especially since he has a distinctive white spot behind his head :) I'm suuuuuper careful about doors and windows anyways and always keep him in a cage outdoors!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
This cage is also one of the prettier white cage options that's still big enough but has an appropriate bar spacing