• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for: Blue Throated Macaw or Military in Missouri, USA

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Hi. I'm 62 years old, retired living on a farm in NE Missouri, and looking for a companion macaw. Currently have a pair of 3' deep, 5' high, 6' wide stainless steel cages on order (since late January) from Expandable Habitats.

My daughter and I are currently visiting all the local rescues, and I may end up with something else, but my desire, based on typical behaviors and size, is either a Blue Throated Macaw or Military. Don't care about the age, a 20 year old bird would be just fine. Does need to have a reasonable temperament (e.g. Can't hate wife or kids).

If I was 40 years younger and had the funding, I'd probably be opening a species specific breeding farm to save Spix's or Lear's macaws, but those days of dreaming have passed. Perhaps my daughter might do something similar some day - one can hope. But that is a different thread.

Anyhow, both of my desired species are on the CITES Appendix 1 list, so can not be sold/bartered/adopted/etc. across state lines - thus my need for a Missouri source.

I realize how rare both of these species of macaws are, but figured if I didn't ask...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was at the National Aviary this weekend and saw my first Blue Throated Macaws. They're beautiful. The trainer said that they're almost impossible to find outside of a zoo setting. So, I don't think your chances of finding one, especially in a rescue, is very good. A Military is much more realistic. I wish you were closer because the rescue I help with has macaws right now. (We don't always.) Good luck with finding your new friend. :)

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Oddly, my daughter works at a pet store where one of the other employees has (2) BTMs. I've met one... a lovely bird.

I understand both BTMs and Military are rare, but if one doesn't set a goal, one can never achieve it! <smile>

The local rescues routinely have Blue and Golds, and commonly Green Wings.

Fortunately, not in a rush.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
STAR Avian rescue near St. Louis currently has a military macaw up for adoption, but she has a few health/behavior issues, so she might not be of interest to you. Just thought I'd mention it in case she could be an option!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Unfortunately they have a 100 miles maximum service range and I'm about 150 as the crow flies. I did check on their flexibility, since I'm still in state. They responded "no... good luck".

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve done long term rehab/fostering for both of them so I can understand your preference.

If your heart is set, just be patient. One will end up needing fostered or rescued near you soon enough.
If your heart isn’t permanently stuck on those two, I encourage you to just keep meeting birds in need. You might find yourself the heart bird you never knew you were looking for.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Thanks for the support Sparkles. That's pretty much where we are at: meeting birds just in case I get lucky. That said, because I have the BTM or MM goal, I'm not going to take the first bird I find that needs a home. Hmmm, need a better way to say that, but think you know what I'm trying to day.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi. I'm 62 years old, retired living on a farm in NE Missouri, and looking for a companion macaw. Currently have a pair of 3' deep, 5' high, 6' wide stainless steel cages on order (since late January) from Expandable Habitats.

My daughter and I are currently visiting all the local rescues, and I may end up with something else, but my desire, based on typical behaviors and size, is either a Blue Throated Macaw or Military. Don't care about the age, a 20 year old bird would be just fine. Does need to have a reasonable temperament (e.g. Can't hate wife or kids).

If I was 40 years younger and had the funding, I'd probably be opening a species specific breeding farm to save Spix's or Lear's macaws, but those days of dreaming have passed. Perhaps my daughter might do something similar some day - one can hope. But that is a different thread.

Anyhow, both of my desired species are on the CITES Appendix 1 list, so can not be sold/bartered/adopted/etc. across state lines - thus my need for a Missouri source.

I realize how rare both of these species of macaws are, but figured if I didn't ask...
You might search for someone in your state that has a current CITES permit/ license ( not sure how to word that) who may raise other rare species. Should you find such an individual that would consider purchasing a BTM and legally transporting across state lines then you might have a higher chance of finding what you're looking for. Years ago when the Golden Conure was listed as an endangered species the same rule applied regarding sold/bartered/adopted across state lines. I knew a reliable breeder here in South Carolina ( I bought crimson bellied conures from) who had a permit and would broker the purchase of a Golden for me since there were none available in my state. I considered it briefly and came to my senses I didn't need to add one more bird to my flock.... especially one that could out-scream all of my birds. But.. they sure are pretty!!!!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
I've had one rescue in an adjoining state tell me they could do that, it just required a significant amount of paperwork. I'm not so sure; when I read the regs transportation required a valid breeding or other population enhancing requirement. Doubt "keeping a specimen alive" would qualify.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oddly, my daughter works at a pet store where one of the other employees has (2) BTMs. I've met one... a lovely bird.

I understand both BTMs and Military are rare, but if one doesn't set a goal, one can never achieve it! <smile>

The local rescues routinely have Blue and Golds, and commonly Green Wings.

Fortunately, not in a rush.
Wow. That's good to know.

Our rescue here- when we have macaws, seems to get mainly Blue and Golds too, although we've had some gorgeous hybrids fairly recently too.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've had one rescue in an adjoining state tell me they could do that, it just required a significant amount of paperwork. I'm not so sure; when I read the regs transportation required a valid breeding or other population enhancing requirement. Doubt "keeping a specimen alive" would qualify.
It wouldn't be legal unless it was a valid permit holder residing in your state. I don't know why a rescue in an adjoining state would offer to do that. The last time I had contact with this guy was just a few months ago when I referred him to a couple of our vendors for stainless steel toys and other toys for his hyacinth ... he also has a BTM. I could give him a poke to see where he got his BTM from. A couple of his friends also have BTM's when I looked at his Facebook feed.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
It wouldn't be legal unless it was a valid permit holder residing in your state. I don't know why a rescue in an adjoining state would offer to do that. The last time I had contact with this guy was just a few months ago when I referred him to a couple of our vendors for stainless steel toys and other toys for his hyacinth ... he also has a BTM. I could give him a poke to see where he got his BTM from. A couple of his friends also have BTM's when I looked at his Facebook feed.
If its not an imposition, I would appreciate you doing that.

Visited Iowa Parrot Rescue today. They have never seen a BTM there, although they use to get a lot of Militaries, but no so often these days. I asked about CITIES issues and he indicated it didn't apply to him since he does not charge a rehome fee or adoption fee. He does accept donations, but doesn't require a specific amount per bird adoption. Going to post a brief review of that visit shortly under a separate topic.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Iowa Parrot Rescue comments here