• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for an African Grey(s) in Northern California

JHelms

Moving in
Real Name
Jody
Hello everyone! Ive been looking to add to my feathered family with an African Grey. I already have 3 conures but I think I'm ready to move up with something more challenging. Ive looked online and find nothing but scams. Theres not much in local breeders where I live and I even have my favorite pet store looking for a Grey for me too. Does anyone here have any possible leads for a breeder in Northern California or contact info to a reputable breeder that ships? Any assistance is much appreciated!

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I live in NorthCal, but one of my favorite breeders (I have never gotten a bird from a breeder, and I never plan on doing so) is West Branch Aviary. All their babies are hand-fed and super sweet. They have a ton of variety and even have non-parrot species such as Turacos!

JHelms

Moving in
Real Name
Jody
Oh wow.....so they have African Greys but their prices are a bit steep

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Oh wow.....so they have African Greys but their prices are a bit steep
If you want to get a hand-raised african grey from a good breeder, you are going to have to pay more than 3,000 dollars. That's one reason why I try to look into rescues. Mickaboo has some great birds and I was thinking of fostering for them before I got Indie!

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Lol! feathered follies sometimes has some rescues.....but I think that they are moving right now so they're probably still closed. I used to live up there - I got all of my birds from Feathered Follies; a little pricey but super tame, sweet and healthy. Or you could potentially check Craigslist....I know that some people are against that but I have gotten a couple of lovebirds from there that were healthy and cheap. Good luck! I hope you can find the perfect bird! :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bear in mind that Greys produce powder down and this can cause long term pulmonary damage to conures. They're not a good combination.

JHelms

Moving in
Real Name
Jody
If you want to get a hand-raised african grey from a good breeder, you are going to have to pay more than 3,000 dollars. That's one reason why I try to look into rescues. Mickaboo has some great birds and I was thinking of fostering for them before I got Indie!
Thanks for mentioning Mickaboo. Adopting a bird might be an option.

JHelms

Moving in
Real Name
Jody
Bear in mind that Greys produce powder down and this can cause long term pulmonary damage to conures. They're not a good combination.
I did not know that! Learn something new every day. I'll look into that more and see if room separation/distance can remedy that health concern. I don't want to endanger my conures health

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The price for AG's has gone up and some places are just being greedy or insane over it. One store here in AZ has one for sale for $7500. They are also selling cockatiels for $350 when they were $159 - $189 last year depending on the color. I was planning on selling mine for 4K and I finally had to cut off the waiting list because it was getting too big.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Check out Rainforest Aviaries in So Cal. The breeder is the head birdkeeper at the San Diego zoo. He ships and has really nice cags. I have 2 from him. One I got directly and one rehomed to me that had been purchased from him. Not sure if he has any atm, but last I checked he had 2 listed for $3500.