• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Advice

L.k

Moving in
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice with my cockatiel Noka.

I got her in March as a present from a pet shop and the only info I have is that she was never out of her cage or handled at all. I have done some research and I think she is female and someone here said approximately 9 months old. So we have started to bond and she is very happy she sings alot also has a little cheeky side and has started to eat some treats out of my hand. I have put my hand In her cage a couple of times and she didn't mind so one day when she was trying to move around I put my finger near her beast as a perch but she bit me (not angrily) I feel like she is trying to tell me she wants out of her cage as lately she keeps biting at the door and latch but I'm afraid if she does she will get scared if I try to put her back in or catch her. I've never had birds and am only learning so had anyone else these kind of issues? I'd love some tips. Thanks in advance ☺

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi! Welcome to the forum! Noka sounds like a sweetie.
so one day when she was trying to move around I put my finger near her beast as a perch but she bit me (not angrily)
This was probably a warning. It's best to watch her body language, when she puts her crest flat and opens her beak angrily it it usually a sign to back off. Don't force anything too soon :)

I feel like she is trying to tell me she wants out of her cage as lately she keeps biting at the door and latch but I'm afraid if she does she will get scared if I try to put her back in or catch her.
A lot of us let out untamed birds out. You should choose a time when you are able to stay around for a whole day when you let her out as you want her to go in by herself. You can use food as a motivator to get her to go back in - just let her out before feeding her, or put some millet in the cage to tempt her back in. If she's not going back in, I found briefly leaving (waiting on the other side of the door) helped, as their instinct was to stay still when the scary human was watching! Given plenty of time, they'll go back in eventually.

When you do let her out, you'll have to cover windows and clear the room of dangerous objects. If she's never been let out, she'll probably be super clumsy. You could hang some ribbons on the walls to to stop her from flying into them.

Hope this helps! :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If she's whistling, there's a good chance she's a boy. If you post a pic we might be able to tell you depending on what mutation she is. You can try putting a perch just outside her door to see if she'll climb out on her own. Khizz gave you some good advice already. :) If you do let her out, just make sure it's safe for her to come out.

L.k

Moving in
Thanks Everyone I will give all these a go just got her some new millet today so that will help will attach some pictures later

L.k

Moving in
If she's whistling, there's a good chance she's a boy. If you post a pic we might be able to tell you depending on what mutation she is. You can try putting a perch just outside her door to see if she'll climb out on her own. Khizz gave you some good advice already. :) If you do let her out, just make sure it's safe for her to come out.
Here are a few pics 20210430_135612.jpg 20210430_135612.jpg 20210410_225337.jpg 20210329_221247.jpg 20210410_225337.jpg 20210329_221247.jpg

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
What a cutie!

I recommend you do some research on diet, all seed is not healthy. She/he could get fatty liver disease or become overweight. I recommend converting to a pelleted diet. Harrisons is a great one, Roudybush and TOPS as well. Just be sure with the TOPS you have a vitamin D3 supplement of some sort. Also offer veggies every day. Sprouts are a very healthy option.

Don't ever force anything in training, birds aren't the same as other pets, they often don't forgive easily. They're sensitive and don't tolerate too much touching.

Congratulations and good luck!

L.k

Moving in
What a cutie!

I recommend you do some research on diet, all seed is not healthy. She/he could get fatty liver disease or become overweight. I recommend converting to a pelleted diet. Harrisons is a great one, Roudybush and TOPS as well. Just be sure with the TOPS you have a vitamin D3 supplement of some sort. Also offer veggies every day. Sprouts are a very healthy option.

Don't ever force anything in training, birds aren't the same as other pets, they often don't forgive easily. They're sensitive and don't tolerate too much touching.

Congratulations and good luck!
Thanks for the info I'm in ireland and I've tried a couple of pet stores for pellets and no joy so have to search further. I also have her on dried fruit and veg mix she has 2 food bowls in her cage and one water so 3 all together. I've tried lots of fresh fruit and veg and have done some research on what to give her like NEVER AVOCADO!! But she will have none of it and actually tries to push it out of her cage someway . She seems very young tho and having seen her cage in the pet shop she wasn't used to a variety I think so it's early days yet. Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

L.k

Moving in
What a pretty bird. Those pied tiels are tough to visually sex. But I'm still leaning towards boy if he's really vocal.
I think she's the prettiest I can't say I know to be honest not having any previous birds or tiels so she's very vocal in the morning (flock calling) is it? And then is quieter throughout the day then more vocal just before bed, also vocal when I play music but not continuous all day. Thanks for all the help

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
While without DNA sexing, one cannot be 100%… I too, am throwing my hat into the “It’s a boy!” ring.

Many Tiels don’t like hands, and will let you know they they can manage just fine with their own two feet and wings getting them where *they* want to go, no finger step up required, lol. And I have never had a tiel not return to the cage to go to bed. Most of the time, they keep better track of the time than we do and will put themselves to bed. Some Tiels just take a few years to really give their trust, but once you have earned it you have it for life.

L.k

Moving in
While without DNA sexing, one cannot be 100%… I too, am throwing my hat into the “It’s a boy!” ring.

Many Tiels don’t like hands, and will let you know they they can manage just fine with their own two feet and wings getting them where *they* want to go, no finger step up required, lol. And I have never had a tiel not return to the cage to go to bed. Most of the time, they keep better track of the time than we do and will put themselves to bed. Some Tiels just take a few years to really give their trust, but once you have earned it you have it for life.
Thanks for the reply I'm excited to bond more

L.k

Moving in
So just a little update for everyone. Thanks for all your tips I've let my birdie out of the cage and she loves it . It's in a bathroom with just walls and a window which I covered and nothing she can hurt herself on. I sit with her and her new favourite place to rest is on my head and shoulder. She still won't step up but I can deal with that it all takes time.

Attachments

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like everything is going well!

Reactions: L.k

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So cute!! He has a little happy walk. Some advice? I think Harrison's are very good pellets. And aren't too expensive.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sounds like things are going well!