• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for advice on first bird

Birdie95

Moving in
Hello everyone!

I have been interested in bird ownership for quite a while and have been doing a lot of research for the past few months. The problem I am having now is that I am not sure what type of bird would be best for me, there are so many that I am interested in. I have had some people tell me that first time owners should only get budgies or cockatiels, and I heard others say to just do lots of reasesrch and get the bird you really want. I know the best way to decide is to spend time with lots if birds. Unfortunately the closest rescue to me is almost 2 hours away so spending time there is not easy. Also I live in New Jersey, so Indian Ringnecks, Quakers, and Patagonian conures are illegal.

A little about me. I am 23, working, and soon to be living on my own so I won't be getting the bird until after the move. I will have the bird out of the cage when I am home and plan on keeping it flighted. I don't work long hours so I have a lot of time to devote to a bird. I don't mind noise, though I prefer calls that are not high pitched, such as those of conures.

Some of the species that I am interested in are: African Greys, RB2's, and Pionus (maxi). I am also open to other suggestions.

What I am looking for in a bird:
- companionship, they don't need to be super cuddly, but enjoy spending time with me.
- intelligence, I plan on doing a lot of training and don't mind a challenge.
- long life span. I love that birds can be life long companions.

Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have experience with any of the species I am interested in, or those you might suggest.

Thanks in advance for your help! :laugh:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA. You sound like a good bird person. I have two delightful English budgies. Their breeder is in your state. First thing I advise potential owners is to check out avian vets you would use. They are getting fewer and fewer. Your list of what you are looking for has African Grey written all over it. One word of warning is when looking for one be very cautious because there are many scammers in the world of higher priced parrots. Jean Patterson is a well known and reliable breeder of the African species of birds. Just Google her name. She is in Florida and shipping would not be a problem.

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
my only thing to be cautious is if your moving in on your own ensure you find a place that can tolerate a bird for noise as apartments don't usually like larger birds for this reason.

Birdie95

Moving in
my only thing to be cautious is if your moving in on your own ensure you find a place that can tolerate a bird for noise as apartments don't usually like larger birds for this reason.
I agree this is an important thing to consider. However, I will most likely be taking over a place from a family member which is pretty far away from people who might be bothered by noise.

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
If you want a very intelligent bird but nothing to much to handle than perhaps medium sized parrots would be best suited to you. I'd strongly recommend larger conures like the blue crowned, sun or jenday conure. Great personalities and are very intelligent, they love to play. Can get quite loud though. Another option would be poicephalus parrots, a senegal parrot or a close relative make great pets. If you want a very smart bird but not in a huge body, you could research mini macaws, in particular the Hahns macaws. African Greys make good pets but need A LOT of attention and work. One last suggestion would be a Caique (absolute clowns, very smart, basically a puppy in a birds body). Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask or if you want my experience with a certain species in more detail, I'd be happy to share. IMG_20180831_120314_887.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! I don't know where you are in NJ but A Helping Wing rescue is a really nice rescue if you're interested in adopting.

Birdie95

Moving in
Welcome to the forum! I don't know where you are in NJ but A Helping Wing rescue is a really nice rescue if you're interested in adopting.
Thank you for the suggestion, I am looking to adopt rather than purchase. A Helping Wing is about an hour and a half from me. Unfortunately, I don't live in a convenient distance from a rescue. I guess if I really want to spend time with birds I will have to set aside a day and make the drive. :D

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I am interested in poicephalus, though I have heard that they go through a nipping and bluffing stage. Is this true? Do you have experience with them?
I don't own one but have had experience with them and know people that do. Generally, they are known to be quite timid at times and aren't the cuddliest parrots, however they are playful, affectionate and loyal. Most of them tend to be quieter than a lot of other parrots. I have been told that they do go through a nippy/ grumpy phase. This occurs in almost every bird when they mature into adults. The timing is dependant on the species, some species start at a couple of months, others at a few years. Check to see the maturity date for the species of poicephalus you like. They can also bite if you force interact with them as a way of saying enough or that they're tired. They are very loyal, sweet parrots. Regarding individual species, senegals are very loyal and tend to be one person birds, easy to train usually. Meyers are a little more laid back, Brown headed parrots tend to be more energetic and independent.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Welcome to the forum.........if you are interested in CAG, then don't rule out a Timneh either.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Birdie95

Moving in
Welcome to the forum.........if you are interested in CAG, then don't rule out a Timneh either.
I have not ruled out the Timneh I think they are wonderful little birds, in fact they are my first choice of the two types of Greys. :):tag:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome