• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a single-branch grapewood perch

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Do you know where I can get a single-branch grapewood perch that's around 1/2-inch diameter (appropriate for a budgie) and 12 inches long? I'm finding only multi-branch perches that are usually quite thick. I'd also be interested in having one cut to the width of the cage. Thanks!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you know where I can get a single-branch grapewood perch that's around 1/2-inch diameter (appropriate for a budgie) and 12 inches long? I'm finding only multi-branch perches that are usually quite thick. I'd also be interested in having one cut to the width of the cage. Thanks!
The Little Perch Company - Home I've gotten some very nice ones from her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not necessarily a bad thing to have perches wider than the "recommended". Grapevine is generally pretty thick; my Quaker has one right now that is about 1.5" in some places! It is good for them to have variety.

That being said, the best place to find one in your specification is probably Little Perch Company.

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the suggestion. Little Perch Company doesn't seem to have grapewood, but they have lots of interesting choices.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have perches wider than the "recommended". Grapevine is generally pretty thick; my Quaker has one right now that is about 1.5" in some places! It is good for them to have variety.
I bought a manzanita perch yesterday at Petsmart that was labelled as being for small and medium birds. At almost an inch thick, it's probably too much for a budgie. Their grapewood perch is even thicker, but its knottiness seems like it would offer more variety.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for the suggestion. Little Perch Company doesn't seem to have grapewood, but they have lots of interesting choices.

I bought a manzanita perch yesterday at Petsmart that was labelled as being for small and medium birds. At almost an inch thick, it's probably too much for a budgie. Their grapewood perch is even thicker, but its knottiness seems like it would offer more variety.
Well, in the wild, they don't have access to just 1/2" :D Green Cheeks are recommended to have 1/2" to 3/4", but I give mine up to 2" perches. You might be surprised by what your budgie likes!

Usually LPC does have grapewood, so might be worth checking later. Looks like she is still set up for the sale that was this past weekend, and she only offered a limited selection for that sale.

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Well, in the wild, they don't have access to just 1/2" :D
Sure, but in the cage it would be his only choice of wooden perch. But you're right that he'll probably be fine. I'll try the manzanita perch and see how he likes it.

Usually LPC does have grapewood, so might be worth checking later. Looks like she is still set up for the sale that was this past weekend, and she only offered a limited selection for that sale.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check back with LPC.

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
I do want to chime in here and say my budgies LOVED the thick grapewood perch I'd gotten them (one of the ones at Petco, I'd originally thought it would be too thick). It WAS thick. Almost like a platform perch for their little feet, but it was so comfy they preferred to roost on it. I did end up having to retire that one (and they miss it sorely), but I've been eying quite a few at Things for Wings. I was rather surprised at how much they loved that perch, but now I def need to get them another one of that size and pronto!

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
you can also try ebay. i've eyed a few of their grapevine perches there