• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a safe rice cooker

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone here had some recommendations for bird-safe rice cookers. My family really enjoys rice, just about with every meal, so a rice cooker is pretty much a must have in this house. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding one that is completely safe for birds. Any suggestions would be really helpful!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I love my old Zojirushi rice cooker, but it does have Teflon. There weren't many alternatives at the time. It does not heat to anywhere near 500 degrees (about 212) so I haven't worried plus the kitchen is far from the birds and I have the exhaust fan on as I'm always cooking other things at the time. And I only use it once every 2 weeks.
I have been researching for a new more healthy one without teflon over aluminum, here are some articles to consult if you are buying now
Non Toxic Rice Cookers - Rice Cookers With A Stainless Steel Inner Pot
Best 6 Rice Cookers Without Teflon (Non-Stick) Reviews 2022

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use my Instant Pot pressure cooker to cook rice. The Instant Pot brand with stainless steel insert is bird safe.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
We have the Aroma stainless steel one and like it a lot! I found it on Amazon but you might be able to order it elsewhere.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you considered not using one? I know some people like to have kitchen gadgets, but I prefer multi-function devices (pots). If you fluff your rice when you're done cooking it, it will be perfect every time, even if you don't use a lid.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I love my cheap little rice cooker, it does have a stainless basket.
So it needs to soak before cleaning, but soaking usually takes the rice right off.
Stay away from anything that is coated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We eat a lot of rice but I packed my rice cooker away as I find it much easier just cooking it on the stove. I found the rice cooker to be more time and space consuming than it’s worth plus it was a pain in the butt to clean and didn’t make the rice any better.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I almost always cook rice on the stove. It is a very easy grain to cook and with a bird safe pot you have nothing to worry about.