• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a reputable breeder

iloveanima

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pamela Daugette
Hi everyone, I have been here off and on for years but never posted. Anyway, I am looking for a quaker, poicephalus, or lorikeet. I have about a $600 dollar budget including shipping. Already have everything a baby would need. I would rescue a bird but there's nowhere closeby at all. Back in the day i would have been able to find a breeder myself but nowadays it is scammer city! Right?! Thanks in advance!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's been tough to find breeders because of Covid. You might want to see if there are any Facebook bird groups for your state. I belong to a couple Pennsylvania ones. I don't really participate in them. But typically you have to request to join the group and it's moderated so a bit of protection from scammers. People there post if they have birds available, are looking for a bird, trying to rehome, etc. It seems like a lot of people are finding birds that way. Also, Petfinder lists rescue birds needing homes.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The market values of most birds has really gone up. I do not think a poicephalus or loriini is going to fit in your budget. A Quaker may, provided it’s legal to own them where you live and you’re okay with the common color. Do you have any bird stores where you live?

iloveanima

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pamela Daugette
Thanks, guys. The rescues are too far away. There's a bird store here, I might just have to wait for her quakers.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Also, birdbreeders.com is a place to start. You still have to do your due diligence as there may be scammers on there, but I believe legit breeders advertise there as well.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try online classifieds. There have been birds for sale in some stores for the first time since March 2020 for a mere three months & already I’ve seen a free budgie, canary & parrotlet just this current week.