• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a replacement heater but . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since I've had Java, going on 2 years, I've used a Lasko Ceramic heater and it's worked okay, but it was already about 5 years old before he came along. Well, I think it's time to replace it as it's not putting out much heat and even with it running all day, the air in my 165sq ft room is still nippy. So, I'm looking at oil-filled radiators, but I have a few issues:
  1. I don't have much space, hardly any floor space to utilize.
  2. Java is disabled and spooks easily, and I don't want him to land on the heater.
  3. He shivers all the time and I've never figured out if it's because he's cold or because his balance is compromised. I check his foot and sometimes it's cold and sometimes it isn't. I prefer to keep the room as warm as I can for his sake. Heated perches and panels aren't ideal since he cannot walk or perch without leaning against something.
I already have insulating curtains, so keeping the heat in isn't a problem. I live with 5 other people (relatives) and 2 have high blood pressure, so the central heating has been used sparingly despite my complaints. I have low blood pressure, so I'm always cold but that's neither here nor there. So, I don't think I want to invest in another space heater. If there are small oil-filled radiators that I could sit on a desk and still heat the room, that would be ideal. If not, then maybe I'll have to get another Ceramic space heater.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've had several ceramic space heaters and two oil filled radiators. I really like the ceramic space heaters best, mainly because they heat the space faster. I'm sure they are more expensive for electricity. My first radiator didn't last all that long - maybe a little more than a year. The one I have now is a Pelonis. The one thing that drives me absolutely nuts about it is the control knobs. They are silver on silver - almost impossible to see. The controls are all flat to the radiator and extremely difficult to change. I have to use a butter knife to change two of them. It heats ok and keeps the heat fairly even.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like I may end up with another ceramic heater. Any you recommend that have a decent output?

Status
Not open for further replies.