• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a new non-feathered family member

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
So, we've finally decided to add a pooch to our family. My sisters both have poodle mixes and we all grew up with dogs. The only reason why we don't have one is my Husband wasn't raised with pets of any kind and has been reluctant until our son got older. Now that he's 12, he thinks he's old enough to handle some pet responsibility. The birds are my pets (yes, they have their own room). I'm posting here because I'm putting feelers out for a "doodle" of some kind. I have allergies so we are pretty much stuck with non/low shedding dogs, I have no problems with my sisters Schnoodles (schnauzer poodles), and dog sit them frequently.

SO! Does anyone out there know of a good breeder or family that had a litter of pups? We prefer poodle mixes, small or small medium/large. I can't do a large/standard dog, too big. We live on the border between Oregon and Washington State... can travel to surrounding states if necessary.

Thank you and woof tweet!

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
I’m not sure of a breeder, but I have a breed recommendation! I have pretty bad allergies, and my friend has a sheepadoodle. Not a sniffle! But I think this dog might be larger than what you’re looking for. She used to have a cockapoo (Passed of old age :( . EXTREMELY smart. And low on the allergen side.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I’m not sure of a breeder, but I have a breed recommendation! I have pretty bad allergies, and my friend has a sheepadoodle. Not a sniffle! But I think this dog might be larger than what you’re looking for. She used to have a cockapoo (Passed of old age :( . EXTREMELY smart. And low on the allergen side.
Awww... omg, I just saw the massive typo in my heading...

When I was born, my family had a Cockapoo named Snoopy. He looked just like the black dog. He HATED me so much, he spent the first 2 weeks of my life at our neighbors house. He was my older sisters 4-H dog. We are looking at Sheepadoodles, as some breeders have smaller ones "minis". A good friend of mine had a Newfie and we watched it ONCE. So much dog... so much drool... so much fur! Love newfies, just not something I'd own. (HUGE poops)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
My dog is a moodle (Maltese cross toy poodle) he is 10 years old now and has a great temperament!
He has curly fur and so doesn't set off any allergies but it does mean you have to brush it often or keep it short otherwise it gets matted easily.
He is my best friend and has made me love the breed. :heart::swoon:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anything wrong with a pure poodle? My mom has a pure mini poodle. I think he's about 11lb and he's great friends with my dachshund. I've met some poodle mixes that shed and have some pretty nasty health problem. After doing some searching, we could find a nice black mini AKC poodle with genetic health tested parents for cheaper than we could find a poodle mix without health clearances.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was going to also comment as per @melissasparrots that you should check out pure poodles. I've had mixes and pure. Right now I have a Bichon poodle X (or possibly pure Bichon) and a miniature poodle x. They are both rescues and have no clue about their histories. My purebreds and mixed have all been wonderful dogs but if I was going through a breeder and not a rescue I would just get a pure poodle.
Other hypoallergenic dogs you can consider are the Portuguese water dog and the Lagotto Romagnolo. They don't get that large. There are Lagotto breeders in Washington and Oregon but the breed is expensive and you have to be careful that you don't get a puppy that has a lot of inbreeding or line breeding in his/her pedigree. I have a Lagotto but purchased him overseas because it was less expensive than purchasing in the states.
I considered getting a pure mini poodle before I settled on the Lagotto. I read through lots of posts to try to find out about poodle breeders.
You can check here: Poodle Forum
Poodle Breeder Directory

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I've been asked about just getting a purebred poodle. I don't know, we just like how the mixes turn out. Lame answer, I know. I wouldn't be against it, if the right dog came up. I know poodle mixes are a guarantee to not shed, it's just a LOT less than say a full golden. We are very familiar with grooming needs of poodle/curly coats. My sisters Schnoodle has an incredibly dense, curly coat. We're all used to going to the groomers for a shave down or new "do". My sisters dog is so dense, even a coat rake doesn't thin it... even with regular brushing.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
I have a yorkie-poodle mix and she is the sweetest! she doesn't shed or bark too much, but you might need to watch out because those yorkies can be quite yappy! she has wavy hair but it's not as curly or thick as cockapoos.