• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a grey

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
We acquired 2 of our greys from Rainforest Aviaries in San Diego. The breeder is the head avian zookeeper at the San Diego Zoo. He has wonderful greys, although they're on the pricey side. Have heard that grey prices in general have skyrocketed over the past several years.
He ships.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A lot of rescues post on Petfinder.com if you want to check out rescues too.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I just wanted to say good luck finding an African grey, hope you keep us updated

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read somewhere that there was a change to the CITES treaty in 2019 and it stopped the import of thousands of baby African Greys into the pet trade in the US. It cut off the supply and has since caused the prices to skyrocket. I may be wrong since my memory sometimes takes a vacation without me.

A few years ago you could get a baby grey for $900 - $1800 and now I see them selling for $5000 or more for a single bird. The demand for them is insane right now. I get phone calls at the store every day asking if we have them. I may see 1 bird for sale anywhere in the state and within hours it's gone. I thought the demand was high for green-winged macaws, but it's nothing like the demand for greys.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
When I had to help my 50 year old White Front Amazon, cross the rainbow bridge, I didn't think I wanted another parrot. I was wrong, I missed the sound and companionship. Two weeks later, the cashier at the local gas station offered to give me her grey. He has been with me for 3 years now. He plucks, he was neglected and abused and I couldn't love him more. We have come a long way. During my journey of do I want a parrot or not, what should I do? I looked and looked. I did tell friends I was looking (maybe) for another parrot. It is truly sad how many people are willing to get "rid" of a parrot. I also noticed at my vets office there were posters of birds that were looking for a good home. My thoughts on this? Yes you can buy a baby from a breeder. You can also rescue a bird through either a website online or try and find one on your own. I have had parrots for 40 years and never paid for one. I had keets, tiels, lovebirds, amazon and now my grey in my profile pic. Don't give up and please, be careful of rip off artists.