• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a friend for Phoenix

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So I am looking for another parakeet for Phoenix, I’ve been looking for awhile because I don’t want to buy from PetSmart or anything like that and I’d really prefer to adopt. The only problem is that I keep only finding pairs of parakeets that are already bonded, and Phoenix is currently a lone bird (bonded to me)

Would it be okay to introduce Phoenix to a bonded pair, or would they gang up on Phoenix? Also is it okay to introduce older parakeets to Phoenix even though he’s still a baby?

I don’t mind taking awhile to find the perfect friend for Phoenix, but I’m starting to feel bad for him because I’m sure he’d prefer having a bird friend rather than me.

Gigibirds

I would definitely keep on searching until you find a single bird - then he can bond with it and truly have his own friend! You could, of course, keep him alone, but I'm really happy that you want to get him a friend! :) What about the people you got Phoenix from; do they have a single bird? An older bird should be fine, but it might be nicer to have it be closer to the same age as Phoenix so they can live together for most of their lives! Adopting is a great idea, but I would really, REALLY recommend waiting until you find a single bird - a bonded pair might not be the friend he's looking for.
But again - I'm so happy that you are (probably) getting another bird!!!! :D

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I would definitely keep on searching until you find a single bird - then he can bond with it and truly have his own friend! You could, of course, keep him alone, but I'm really happy that you want to get him a friend! :) What about the people you got Phoenix from; do they have a single bird? An older bird should be fine, but it might be nicer to have it be closer to the same age as Phoenix so they can live together for most of their lives! Adopting is a great idea, but I would really, REALLY recommend waiting until you find a single bird - a bonded pair might not be the friend he's looking for.
But again - I'm so happy that you are (probably) getting another bird!!!! :D
I’m definitely getting another bird, and I’m hoping before school starts because next semester we will be in person teaching again and Phoenix won’t be able to spend all day with me like he is now, I don’t want him to get lonely

I’ll definitely keep trying to look for single birds. The lady I got Phoenix from has an older male she was trying to get rehomed, but she was rehoming him because he was aggressive toward the other birds, I don’t want to risk that with Phoenix.

Thank you!!!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
1617828851680.png

So I read about this bird online at a bird rescue, he is missing part of his beak which causes his lower beak to overgrow and needs his beak clipped every few months. I sort of fell in love with him, the only problem is he lives in Kansas and I live in Washington. I don't know if a bird could handle that big of a drive (it would be at least 24 hours of driving for him).
It also breaks my heart because he's been at the rescue since 2014, no one wants him because of his beak issue.

I wouldn't say this is the most ideal friend for Phoenix but gosh I want to help this little guy so bad. What do you guys think?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It also breaks my heart because he's been at the rescue since 2014, no one wants him because of his beak issue.
Awww poor guy!!! He´s adorable, such a shame he´s been looking for a home for so long.

Maybe you could post a thread to ask for help with an AA train?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Awww poor guy!!! He´s adorable, such a shame he´s been looking for a home for so long.

Maybe you could post a thread to ask for help with an AA train?
Possibly. I'm not worried about driving that far myself, I'm more worried about the budgie being able to handle the long drive

Gigibirds

Well, if you really wanted that bird, you could always make a little road trip out of it! I went on a road trip once in a rented RV, and I brought my parakeet with me. She LOVED it!! (because when we would drive for hours on end, her swing would swing by itself for hours on end!! and that was her very favourite toy!) So if you just need that particular bird you could make it possible by renting an RV and making a road trip out of it if you wanted. Good luck! (I hope you can get him; he looks like such a sweet boy! But that would be a ton of extra vet visits!)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
View attachment 378556

So I read about this bird online at a bird rescue, he is missing part of his beak which causes his lower beak to overgrow and needs his beak clipped every few months. I sort of fell in love with him, the only problem is he lives in Kansas and I live in Washington. I don't know if a bird could handle that big of a drive (it would be at least 24 hours of driving for him).

I wouldn't say this is the most ideal friend for Phoenix but gosh I want to help this little guy so bad. What do you guys think?
It's a perfect match. This bird's handicap will cause it to be more cautious and almost certainly not very aggressive. This equals the playing field to your bird somewhat because your bird is still very young. Not really the age where they buddy up yet. It would be more of a sibling relationship at this point.

The bird will be just fine in your car for 24 hours. No more uncomfortable for him than you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was hoping to see a post like this. Most adoptions come in pairs. Look up breeders in your area for a single young keet.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
View attachment 378556

I have a soft spot for spiecal needs birds (bugies inparticular). He looks ao much like my little Obsidian :heart:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Budgies travel great. I've driven from Michigan to Pennsylvania, and Colorado to Pennsylvania multiple times with a single budgie plus my G2. The longer trips with a hotel stop.
Do you know if the rescue will adopt out-of-state?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Also just want to point out if he's been at the rescue since 2014 that means he's at least 7. Besides his beak issue does the recuse say he is healthy?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Do you know if the rescue will adopt out-of-state?
Besides his beak issue does the recuse say he is healthy?
I emailed them both these questions, it says they can take a few days to respond though. Their only policy on adoption on that website was that they do not ship, but I totally agree with that lol

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Hope they get back to you soon! He’s a beautiful budgie, maybe he’s waited all this time for you and Phoenix? :heart:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you find the right budgie! Have you considered rehomed ones? Pistachio & Marizpan were rehomed budgies & they're great!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try to find one about the same age. May work better that way. Too bad you can’t get one of @PoukieBear budgies.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I hope you find the right budgie! Have you considered rehomed ones? Pistachio & Marizpan were rehomed budgies & they're great!
Yeah I have been checking craigslist and every other place I know of for rehomed or adoptable budgies in my area, I haven't found any luck finding single budgies

Gigibirds

Wow, not even craigslist? That's surprising! I really hope that you can find the perfect budgie!! (or maybe you already did with the special needs one! :) )

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It takes time. I searched for English budgies over 6 months. Check FB groups too. Here is one but I dont know the location (3) The Budgie Lady | Facebook

Last edited: