• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a foster home for my conures

Kuzey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kuzey
Hello everybody!

I am looking for a foster home for my conures. They are both 3 years old and free-flight trained. I love them to death but they are causing so much tension in my flock and put my other birds on edge. The greencheeked conure, Misshy, constantly looks for an opportunity to sneak in to the cockatoos' room and dive bombs them. I don't want to keep them caged all day as that's not fair to them.If they are outside of their cage, then I can not pay attention to my cockatoos or anything else. Because I live in a reverse duplex I don't have a door to separate my rooms so keeping them separate is not an option. I used to kept them in my bathroom with an avian light bulb and toys, but it's just not good enough. There is no window, so it's kinda depressing. I am planning to move in a year or two depending on my grad school admission so until then my hands are tied.

I have tried many things but noting is working with my current situation. I have tricked trained them together with cockatoos, trained them to station and tried to capture good behaviors with clicker and treats when my cockatoos were around and the conures behaved well. No luck with any of those. To control their hormones, they get 14 hours of sleep, strict food management and low-calorie food.

Despite all that, they are causing my cockatoos and me significant stress everyday. My frustration reflects on the bond we have and I don't want to lose that. So I need a foster home for a year or two. The ideal person must have a sun conure experience, currently do not have any bird and must commit to keep them flighted (absolute dealbreaker) and fly them indoors, preferably outdoors. I live in Manhattan, so it is ideal if the foster home is within up to 2 hours of drive from NYC, so I can visit them throughout the process. I also need to keep in touch with the person frequently to get updates and provide support when needed.

They eat chops and pellets and I am willing to supply their pellets, cage and toys. I will also keep their health insurance to cover vet bills for annuals and illnesses.

This was a very hard decision that I had to make for the best for all of us. I don't want to rehome them because I love them very much and I know they love me much more! I can't commit to let them go or put them through that trauma.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am sorry this is happening. This is what GCC do it seems. They are a hawk in a tiny birds body, at least they think they are. Are you sure a foster situation will work?

Kuzey

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kuzey
I am sorry this is happening. This is what GCC do it seems. They are a hawk in a tiny birds body, at least they think they are. Are you sure a foster situation will work?
I am sad that this is happening. Foster home is the best option right now. I don't want to rehome them. If I had an extra room, I would not even look for a foster.