• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a Dog for Dog Sports

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am beginning to look for a male puppy/dog (preferably past housetraining) that would be suitable for AKC obedience and other possible activities like lure coursing, dock diving, tracking, etc. Depending on the dog, I'm considering schutzhund, too. Yes, I know they changed the name of it. I've always had rescue dogs that wouldn't have worked well competing in public for various reasons. My current dog is a submissive Dogo Argentino pretty lady who had ZERO socialization. If I took her in an obedience ring, she'd have a heart attack, literally. I'm looking for a working breed that's naturally protective like a GSD, dobe, giant schnauzer, or Black Russian Terrier. I am NOT looking for a free dog. My search has revealed to me that there are even more bad breeders than good out there, and I'm having trouble. I'm not in a hurry, as I'd like to get a dog in the summer and have been looking for a year anyway. The parents would have to have had breed-appropriate health testing/Embark. I am looking for the right dog at the right time. A dog that you held back for your program but didn't work out due to a minor flaw, or you already having the genes would be ideal.

Any working dog breeders here??? I'd love to talk.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if some of the places that do health testing have a list breeders can put their name on for release to prospective puppy buyers. Then you could just ask the health test places. Maybe some of the breed clubs have such a service too. It could narrow your search more effectively.

Good luck!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Why not find a club that does sport, and just go and watch.
You'll soon find which breeds, methods, and owners you like.
Talk to these owners.
Most working dog folk have very strong views and will talk your ears off...beware. ;)

I belonged To Schutzhund clubs for years, the good dogs/breeders/trainers do standout.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm looking for a working breed that's naturally protective like a GSD, dobe, giant schnauzer, or Black Russian Terrier.
Until you said that, I would have suggested looking at a retired racing greyhound. They're really well socialized during their training and life on track.

I love that breed and they're excellent for lure coursing.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I concur with macawpower58 in that you should find a club in your area. Also know that some AKC activities, like lure work, rally, scent work, agility etc do allow mixed breed dogs. You just register your dog as an "all American dog" to compete. In talking with the club you will find out about various breeders in your area and you may do better finding out about the breeders and picking your dog from there. The other option is to pick your dog and then match it to what it wants. If you don't mind my asking you mentioned your current dog as having no socialization skills and would have "a heart attack". if you took her. I have to say my dog was like that. She is a terrier/ border collie mix that literally rolled out in front of my car at about 5 weeks of age. I started her in a puppy class but then got injured, and had to stop. Then covid hit and she had no social skills and was afraid of EVERYTHING. I started her in an AKC obedience class with a very understanding instructor. The first class she was literally so scared that all she could do was watch from under my legs. So I would learn, then we would go home and practice it. I repeated the class and about half way through she started getting braver and by the third class we were actually learning in class. She completed both Manners 101 and Beyond Manners and we are working towards our canine good citizenship. I also Found out she loves agility and rally (obedience light). Now she can actually go out in public although she is still nervous but the change in her is HUGE! I plan on doing what interests her so we are trying out lots of stuff. (signing up for agility and a scent class soon). Around here for agility we see a lot of border collies. Terriers are also pretty popular around here as they are smart and somewhat protective. For lure work, you can hardly beat a greyhound and they are very social. (love them myself but I have too many cats in my household for a greyhound). Good luck finding what you want.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any considerations to the Mal?
There’s a Malinois in our DD group right now and he goes head to head for strength and power against my best black male Labrador dock dive champion. Same dog (as well as a Tervuren owned by same person) is also in our scent group and is relatively successful. (I say relatively only because because our scent club goes by weight class and those darn bloodhounds are freakishly hard to beat- I’ve only beaten those bloodhounds one time and that’s only because I had my certified cadaver dog).
A Malinois could be what you need.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
They are great dogs but they are a lot of dog and like the German Shepherd are prone to some health issues. If you find a good one they can be amazing.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
In my humble opinion, Mals are for the few, the crazy, and the 100% dedicated owner.
They have a non stop drive, many do not have an off switch.
I guess only Matt knows what he can and can not handle.
Me, I like an off switch, a medium to a med/high drive, a biddable temperament, and a stable dog.
That is not your normal working line Maligator.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There has got to be an off switch. That's why I didn't include Mals or dutchies, even though I admire dutchies.

Sophie is 4; I got her at a year and a half. They imported her from Argentina to do schutzhund but decided she was too "soft." They were confining her to a create 13 hours a day, so I bought her. She had had no socialization at all. Two and a half years later, she'll still stand in my front yard, where she's been hundreds of times, with her tail tucked. I've taken her to the pet store, the vet (with or without an appointment), drive throughs, etc. She has not improved much. On walks, she'll still cower when she sees something unusual or a barky strange dog, regardless of its size.

I'm aware of health issues with some breeds and will be diligent about seeing results of health testing, Embark, etc. There are no guarantees, but those tests can help minimize your risk.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have 4 GSD atm. All 4 came from the same breeder. In total we've had 7 GSD's over the years from this breeder. No hip or health issues whatsoever!
I am happy to PM her info if you're interested. She only sells her dogs to past clients or to her clients who refer.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I have 4 GSD atm. All 4 came from the same breeder. In total we've had 7 GSD's over the years from this breeder. No hip or health issues whatsoever!
I am happy to PM her info if you're interested. She only sells her dogs to past clients or to her clients who refer.
Do you still have Ella and Gunnar? I was back checking our old photo thread. :)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'd love to see a thread about your dogs and your experiences with them! We're hoping to get a GSD or GSD cross this year.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
GSD are the only dogs I've had since my late teens. I absolutely love their intelligence and their incredible loyalty towards their owners. They're a lot of dog!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

That'd be great! So nice of you!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You want a luring dock diver obedience master who tracks like crazy, but it must have on off switch… which only leaves the question: can you handle farts?? She’s a wind bag! Wouldn’t give this girl up for the world, even if she can peel paint with a poot, lol.

I think you should settle on a breed, and just plan on taking that dog to whatever level happens naturally. This (female dog) was never intended to be anything other than my next waterfowl dog. Certainly not a tracker, because I prefer larger males for our high mountains terrain and the fact that we’re so overrun with Lions out here. But she’s without a doubt the best spilled blood tracker and shed antler hunter I own. She’s an absolute rally course freak, and obedience is truly her middle name. She’s probably one of my most titled (female dogs) in the entirety of my program. But look at her- she’s not a pretty dog. She’s got a mugshot worse than a meth head, and a snow nose on top of that! But she’s always up on that winners pedestal no matter what she’s entered in.
So just pick a dog and go out and see what happens- you might be highly surprised!

0276FFA5-78F4-42EE-9887-3DEE3B4A1D83.jpeg

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The standards for beauty at my place are higher than a dinner party hosted by Willie Nelson and attended by Snoop Dog and Bob Marley.
I don't understand the reference, and no offense to those specific people, but I would generally rather eat dinner with dogs.