• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking at cages

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
What cages do you recommend for a single IRN? I would like one that is safe & sturdily built but also not thousands of dollars! What are your budget friendly options?

Thanks!!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What would you say your budget is? You usually need at least $300 for a good and adequately sized cage. This chart recommends 32 x 21 as the bare minimum, but IRNs are very energetic so a larger cage would be much better. A 40 x 30 could work well

10F6527B-A979-4A37-BD29-C8AE353155CD.jpeg

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
What would you say your budget is? You usually need at least $300 for a good and adequately sized cage. This chart recommends 32 x 21 as the bare minimum, but IRNs are very energetic so a larger cage would be much better. A 40 x 30 could work well

View attachment 369839
I was looking at $500 or under. Some of the ones I was looking at were well over $2000 for not even that big of a cage and I almost had a heart attack!

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Here are some of the more "budget friendly" options I am looking at. Thoughts? I like ones that have a play stand on the top of them for the bird to hang out on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VWLEC00/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_e9jaGbEBYVZ6S

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M9JKSHZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_49jaGbN5D9FW0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They are all on the smaller side.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
These two are too small, the first of the two is actually only about 20 x 22 and the second is only 17 x 18 or something

The first one on wayfair could work.

I like ones that have a play stand on the top of them for the bird to hang out on.
I would recommend a flat top instead because they often cost less and the playtops built in often aren’t that appealing to the birds anyways. You can diy a stand which will probably cost less and be more appealing to your bird.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here are some of the more "budget friendly" options I am looking at. Thoughts? I like ones that have a play stand on the top of them for the bird to hang out on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VWLEC00/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_e9jaGbEBYVZ6S

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M9JKSHZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_49jaGbN5D9FW0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They are all on the smaller side.
The extra-large Wayfair cage might be okay, but all the others are too small. The dimensions given are the outside dimensions which include the seedcatcher. You must look at the internal dimensions of the cage itself, and sometimes this information is buried in the fine print.

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

What about either of these? Do you have any recommendations for websites or brands to go to or ones to stay away from?
I have the first one, it could work for an IRN but might be a little small. I have trouble setting it up well for my tiels with their long tails never mind the super long tail of an IRN lol

The feeder doors are pretty nice looking on this one, but same as the one of the same size above, it could be a little small, especially with that tail

Edit: IRNs are about 14 to 17 inches long from head to tail

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
First birdcage I have seen up for sale locally in a long time. I think this meets the minimum requirements (dimensions are 32"x23") but still seems a bit small to me. Thoughts?

Attachments

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I have the a and e one for my budgie, and it’s really nice. Not sure how well it would work for a IRN though.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First birdcage I have seen up for sale locally in a long time. I think this meets the minimum requirements (dimensions are 32"x23") but still seems a bit small to me. Thoughts?
The bar spacing looks too wide for an IRN.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I posted some 32 x 23 for around $350 on another thread from Petco. I'll try to find it.
Cages approx $350

Post #4

Its nice to have them on wheels.

TropiKate

Meeting neighbors
This is the cage I have for a moustache derbyan hybrid. he's only a little bigger than an indian ringneck i'd say and it's perfect for him! It's held up really well and it's got a lot of space for him to play and move around :) it's in the Large size that you have to click on! Bremer Steel Play Top Floor Bird Cage with Wheels

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is the cage I have for a moustache derbyan hybrid. he's only a little bigger than an indian ringneck i'd say and it's perfect for him! It's held up really well and it's got a lot of space for him to play and move around :) it's in the Large size that you have to click on! Bremer Steel Play Top Floor Bird Cage with Wheels
It looks kinda small for a ring neck (they’re generally very active) and would it accommodate the ring neck’s long tail?

@fashionfobie has a plum head, maybe she can help?

TropiKate

Meeting neighbors
It looks kinda small for a ring neck (they’re generally very active) and would it accommodate the ring neck’s long tail?

@fashionfobie has a plum head, maybe she can help?
Did you click on the large size? I think it would be fine for a ringneck but I've never had one so I can't be totally sure. My bird is super active and has room to play inside whenever he's not out, but I guess it depends on how often you let your bird out. Mine's out for a while but he doesn't get bored inside of his cage because it's large enough and has plenty of toys and such :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My bird is super active and has room to play inside whenever he's not out, but I guess it depends on how often you let your bird out.
Exactly! I also believe, they should also have enough space to be fully enriched in the cage. Sometimes life happens, we have an unexpected meeting or visitors or simply grocery shopping.

I think it is good to go as large as possible within safe bar spacing. 36" on a horizontal axis at a minimum for IRN in my opinion.