• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking after a female and male

moonymango

Moving in
Real Name
Paige
So I just got off the phone with my vet and the DNA results are in... Mango is a girl and Mooncake is a boy! Is there anything I need to know about looking after a female and male together? I don't plan on breeding them at any point (they're still only 4 months or so anyways) but up until now I assumed they were both boys, so if anyone has any resources about looking after girls and how to help with their hormones it would be appreciated!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations :storkb: :storkg:

1. No nest boxes, nooks, snuggle huts, hideouts, tents, and all other things they can get inside and snuggle and nest.

2. buy a set of dummy eggs - they will make your job easier.

3. Have the birds on a 12/12 sleep cycle. During the day, be sure the light is bright (so if yo u live where the weather is poor, maybe buy a light). At night, cover the cage and try not to wake them.

4. If you ever get any eggs, take a dummy egg in your hand, go to the egg, drop the dummy and grab the real one. Eggs are laid every 24-48 hours until the clutch is complete, usual ly 3-7 eggs, though clutches to as many as 12 have been recorded. You can allow them to sit on the dummies for up to, but no more than 21 days. If they leave the eggs alone before them, or abandon the nest (you will know this because the eggs won´t be together in a hudle, but sprawn all over) then remove all the nest, eggs, any nesting materials, then ¨shuffle¨ the cage (move perches, toys, food and water bowls around), add in a new toy and some foraging activities, and be sure they are getting 12-13 hours undisturbed sleep.

5. Try to keep the cage floor clear of clutter (shredded odds and bobs, papers, remanants of shredded boxes etc) so that if any eggs are laid, you spot them quickly. Thought you do have a good few days to remove them before any egg development happens.

6. Don ´t let your hen sleep in the food bowl. If you see that, buy a new bowl that she can´t get inside.

7. Be sure your hen gets calcium daily one way or another, be it pellets, calcium rich veggies (as long as she´s getting Vit D3 from somewhere, either unfiltered sunshine or pellets), or a supplement (those are usually a weekly dose).

this is all I can think of off the top of my head :) :ypflb:

moonymango

Moving in
Real Name
Paige
Congratulations :storkb: :storkg:

1. No nest boxes, nooks, snuggle huts, hideouts, tents, and all other things they can get inside and snuggle and nest.

2. buy a set of dummy eggs - they will make your job easier.

3. Have the birds on a 12/12 sleep cycle. During the day, be sure the light is bright (so if yo u live where the weather is poor, maybe buy a light). At night, cover the cage and try not to wake them.

4. If you ever get any eggs, take a dummy egg in your hand, go to the egg, drop the dummy and grab the real one. Eggs are laid every 24-48 hours until the clutch is complete, usual ly 3-7 eggs, though clutches to as many as 12 have been recorded. You can allow them to sit on the dummies for up to, but no more than 21 days. If they leave the eggs alone before them, or abandon the nest (you will know this because the eggs won´t be together in a hudle, but sprawn all over) then remove all the nest, eggs, any nesting materials, then ¨shuffle¨ the cage (move perches, toys, food and water bowls around), add in a new toy and some foraging activities, and be sure they are getting 12-13 hours undisturbed sleep.

5. Try to keep the cage floor clear of clutter (shredded odds and bobs, papers, remanants of shredded boxes etc) so that if any eggs are laid, you spot them quickly. Thought you do have a good few days to remove them before any egg development happens.

6. Don ´t let your hen sleep in the food bowl. If you see that, buy a new bowl that she can´t get inside.

7. Be sure your hen gets calcium daily one way or another, be it pellets, calcium rich veggies (as long as she´s getting Vit D3 from somewhere, either unfiltered sunshine or pellets), or a supplement (those are usually a weekly dose).

this is all I can think of off the top of my head :) :ypflb:
Thank you so much this was such a great starting point! Hopefully I can keep her happy and healthy :heart:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Well if you keep them in an aviary don't give them a palm tree right as the weather is starting to get nice - that's how I ended up with a nest and then babies!! :roflmao: (that was just a joke, but it's actually kind of good advice lol)

Zara gave you great tips! With more experience though you will learn what works best for you and your birds though. Also be happy about having a boy and a girl! They will probably get along really well, and if you ever did want to breed them.......well it's an option! :)

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I don't have much experience with a male and female pair of birds, so take my advice with a grain of salt :D

• Don't keep any toys in the cage that could be used as breeding material.
  • Make sure your birds get a solid 12 hours of sleep a night.
  • Don't provide any nest boxes or nests in general.
  • Don't give mushy, warm food.

That's all I can think of right now, but Zara really gave some great tips!