• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long term run

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
hi
i have two conure, 2 years and 6 months. I wanted to know details surrounding their diet.
i Would appreciate any advice on produce I should give Everyday and Why.
i habe been trying to look through articles but they seem very indefinite and unconfident with the information they present.

if anyone has any senior conUres I would love to hear what they have been eating through out their life. I have heard that good diet prolongs lifespan.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
A lot of things can determine lifespan, it's the birds whole quality of life too! Happiness, toys, fresh air, sunlight, diet etc.
I feed Spearmint the following:
Pellets:
Murphy's Maintenance Mix
Chop:
Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrot, Spinach, Capsicum, Parsnip, Corn, Cooked Buckwheat, Cooked Quinoa, Sprouted grains, Cooked wild rice, and a little bit of fruit like blueberries.
Extras:
Rose petals, Calendula florets, boiled egg and eggshell monthly, and a bit of seed!

I feed all of this as not only does it make Spearmint happy, but the ingredients contain all of the nutrients needed to support a parrot. There's a LOT of different chop mixes, and different pellets. You want to know what to look out for that can be unhealthy. Coloured pellets usually contain sugars, which isn't good, and you want to provide pellets that don't use loads of fillers.

Here's what another member on here feeds their parrot (Mizzley)!

Experiment around to find what your birdies like best, and what works best for them too :)

Reactions: Biz

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're going to get a lot of answers because birds are resilient.

My Jardine's was on seeds only for 19 years. He wasn't healthy when I got him, but he lasted a long time on crappy food.

There's a flock of Amazons at UC Davis that has been fed only Roudybush pellets since the 1980s. Which is good for Roudybush, but most people will agree that a pellet only diet is not ideal.

I don't have a conure, but my Jardine's is a lot healthier now using a base of pellet, with added fresh veggies, and a small amount of seeds, fruit, and nuts.

Also I hate the term filler for foods. Filler implies the ingredient has no function, which is simply not true. All of the ingredients in pellets have a purpose, whether that's adding nutrition, keeping the food affordable, making it enticing for the parrot, etc. And color doesn't automatically mean sugar. There are colored pellets without sugar, and there are natural pellets with sugar. At the end of the day, a little sugar is not the end of the world if it happens to be in the only pellet your bird will eat.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My conure gets a mixture of Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill (I pick out the peanuts.), Volkman Avian Science cockatiel no sunflower, Mazuri small bird maintenance pellets and cooked mixed veggies (corn, green beans, carrots and peas). I've tried avi-cakes with him but he just tosses those. Also tried other vegetables (broccoli, squash, sweet potato, etc.) and fruits such as apples, strawberries and blueberries but he doesn't eat those either. Every once in a while he gets a millet spray which he picks on a little bit.

Reactions: Biz