• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long road trip advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
As some of you may/may not know, I am currently stationed in S Korea. I am due to return to the states the beginning of Feb. At that time, I will be packing up my house in DE and driving to NE. We have the trip planned for 3 over night stops. Two questions I have is: 1. I have a travel cage for TJ, should I keep him in the cage the whole trip or is it ok to let him out and hang out with me while I am driving? 2. Should I bring his current cage with me to put him in every night or is the travel cage fine for him over the 3 nights? TYIA

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Hi,
What species? What size is the carrier?

In my opinion I would house the bird in a cage in the hotel over night with you, and then back into the carrier for the trip.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
It is safer to keep him his cage while you are driving. Wouldnt want to make a sudden stop and have him get hurt. I would let him sleep in his travel cage in the hotel. We make a few stops during the day and let our birds out inside the car for a little bit to get some snuggle time in. I also bring plenty of fresh fruits and veggies with for them to snack on. Plus some of their seed/pellet mix. Good luck on your move.

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
The longest drive I have taken any of my birds on is 13 hours (one way) and they all did fine. When we stopped at a rest stop I would take the travel cages out of the car and we would find some place in the shade to sit for a while. It might be ok to take him out of the cage while you are parked, but I agree with Chris - I don't think it is a good idea to take him out while you are driving.

Also, when you stop, be mindful of where you park and how much sunlight he is getting. Even in the winter, it can get hot in direct sunlight inside a car :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
It definatley is not safe for him or you to have him out while you are driving. You can take some rest breaks and let him out in the car with you but make sure no windows or doors are open. Offer him some juicy foods like any fruits he may like to help keep him hydrated and depending on your bird maybe have a couple sides of his cage covered so he feels comfortable. Also avoid direct sunlight so he doesnt get overheated. If he is fine with his travel cage, you could just use that. Do you have any way to put a perch on top of his carrier so he could hang out in the hotel while you are there with him? Is your bird clipped or fully flighted? Either way you must be extremely careful at all times that no doors at the hotel are open and also that he is in his cage inside the car and if let out when you stop all windows and doors closed.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely leave him in an appropriate sized carrier while you are driving and make several pit stops along the way so he can enjoy some fresh air while in the carrier or wearing a harness. Have a safe trip.

birdman78

Real Name
John
Thanks for all the great advice. My only concern is the winter weather taking him in and out. I have a heavy blanket I can put around the carrier till we get inside. Birdvr466--Thanks, I'll have to look into making an attachment for a outside perch. he is currently clipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.