• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Long read) Ringneck Situation

rielle

Moving in
Real Name
Rielle Want
hi there! i'm new to the site and to bird handling, but i have a bit of an issue with my first bird.

we've (my dad and i) been looking for a bird for a while now, and i saw a cute, supposedly hand reared bird on gumtree. the man said it was three weeks old, but it has all of its feathers (unsure about its wings, they are clipped fairly short, not by me but the seller) and it is eating pellets and fruits. the photos showed the bird sitting on the mans hands and arms, even by another person. description said it was friendly. presumably, the bird is 9-10 weeks old.

when we arrived, we were greeted by a hispanic man with very poor english. he invited us in and we went to the backyard, where he had at least 50 doves or pigeons, i'm not sure. in two cages he had two lorikeets and what looked like two ringnecks.

the man reached into the cage very quickly and suddenly, and probably scared the hell outta that poor thing. the first mistake with the way this man treated his birds. the bird was violently squealing, flapping and flying about the cage as he tried to grab it. once he did, he sat it on his arm and said, "see? he good." the bird flapped and flailed all the way to the ground, where he grabbed it once again.

he was very violent towards the bird, i'm not sure if that's how they're supposed to be handled. probably not. (i know ducks and geese are often handled by their necks/tails, but small birds are far more delicate.)

(on a side note, before we left, i noticed something very strange inside the cage he was removed from. to the side, a clump of feathers and wing. it is vague, and i don't really remember - i only got a small glance. looked like a dead bird, crushed under something. again, i don't really remember much. but it was a little worrying.)

we payed $170 for it cash in hand.

on the way home the bird was anxious, of course it was. new environment and people, plus a car. it tried to move as far away as possible from me in its carry cage. we covered it up and it seemed calmer, but it still moved away from me and tried to force its head through the bars.

when we got home, we had to move it into its cage, which was difficult considering its fear of us.

we got it in, gave it seed, water, fruit and lots of toys to play with, different sized perches, and two different cages.

it's been a few days. the bird has quickly adjusted to his cage, and his food.

but not us. when we walk past him or go near him, he desperately moves away to the opposite side. when we refresh his food or water, he starts flapping and moving about the cage restlessly. he's not aggressive towards us in any way, he does not bite or lunge, he only moves away. he is obviously scared of us. especially of hands.

when you step near the cage, he might freeze in place and stare at you, but that's it. i managed to feed him a tiny piece of banana from a fork. i tried putting my hand up towards the cage to feed him something, but he freaked out and moved away quickly. any signs of hands seems to scare him, even when we move them towards him very very slowly. as soon as he sees them, he moves away.

it's very very hard to train him with food when he is this scared. he has the behavior of a wild bird, one that was parent raised. i think the man that sold it to us lied about it. not only does it look completely different from the one in the photo (white feet and talons compared to the photo bird's black feet and talons) but it is not friendly at all, and has a great fear of hands, arms and humans. like i said before, the bird in the photo was on a man's arm, on his hand, and on a woman's hand as well.

i'm very upset. i don't know if this is the same bird, or if it is actually friendly and just scared. this bird has absolutely no personality, and just sits there, interacting with nothing. i feel like he might be curious, as he watches us and what we do from his cage. i'm too scared to take him out and try and interact with him, because i know he won't.

it's been a week now, i decided to update this memo. the bird has gotten sort of better. he has stopped moving away when we pass by his cage, but he still freaks out and flaps around when we rearrange his toys or change his food.

he is responding to birds outside with very loud and short chirps. sometimes he'll make little chattering sounds, but he goes silent when we look at him.

i feel as though this bird has lived a poor life, however short it was before we found him. the man gave us a completely unknown bird (we did a little bit of investigation, gathered evidence, asked for opinions from different people etc) with a completely unknown temperament.

also, another side note, the bird is not aggressive and does not bite us. he is only terrified. he did try to bite me when i transported him from one cage to another inside a towel, but that's the only time - probably out of uncertainty or fear.

i really need help, i don't know if i should talk to my housemate about reselling the bird, or whether he can be trained. we payed $170 for this bird.

is he still trainable? could he have been abused? why is he so terrified of our hands, and especially us? what should we do? shall we resell him or work up the patience to train him and give him lots of love and time?

i'm determined to show this bird that i do not wish to hurt him.

also, a photo of ricky:
ricky the ringneck - Album on Imgur

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He is definitely still trainable. Poor baby sounds absolutely terrified. Give him time to adjust and realise that you aren't a threat. Sit with him and talk, or read a book. Let him see you drop treats into his food bowl. It will take a while, but you can build trust by taking it slowly and letting him come to terms with things in his own time. I would make sure you get a wellness check at an avian vet, especially given where he came from. What part of Aus are you from?

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Poor thing. Patience patience patience.

Sit by the cage. Have you hands in your lap. Hold someThing you know he is is comfortable with nearby and gradually move closer as you seehim relaxing.
Just show him you aren't like the people he has known thus far in his life. Prove yourself.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. As said, patience is key. Spend time quietly sitting with him. Talking to him- even reading to him. Also, if you're not home or it's very quiet there, try playing some music for him or leaving the TV on during the day. In the wild, silence can often mean danger. Is his cage located against a wall? That often give a bird a sense of security too because he doesn't have to worry about what's behind him.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He's just a young one. Please don't give up on him...consider yourself in for the long haul.
Just show him you aren't like the people he has known thus far in his life. Prove yourself.
Spot on!
I only can second what's already been posted....please don't give up on him...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have been given good advice. Be patient and be calm. Your bird is in a new environment with new people and new objects and is understandably scared.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Welcome! Everyone has already told you what you need to do. Have patience. You ask if this bird has been abused? I would say absolutely yes. A bird that lives in constant fear about people has obviously had some bad experiences with people and so needs plenty of love and understanding from you now to change these perceptions.

I understand that you are inexperienced with birds so I will say that nothing this man has told you about this bird should be taken for truth. So please do not think that you are "regressing" in any way. This was never likely a tame bird. And he's had zero reason to ever trust people. I do think you were naive in agreeing to buy the bird even after seeing its situation in person but that's now beside the point. Now that you DO have this bird, just because it is not perfect your first thought shouldn't be rehoming him.

Think about it. Do you think he asked to be abused by people? Did he ask to be torn away from his family and put into the care of a complete stranger in a new environment? Please understand I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just trying to get you to look at this bird with sympathy and empathy, rather than with regret or frustration. Bird's aren't people but they ARE extremely social, intelligent, and sensitive. Like people they have to learn to trust people with time and plenty of positive interactions.

I'll just give you a story about our own adopted budgie. He was almost 2 years old when we got him and had spent most of his time in his last home alone in a tiny cage, occasionally being grabbed and forcefully held so a young child could pet him. He was so terrified of people he would immediately run to the back of the cage and hide in a corner if someone came too close. With daily, force-free training he began to turn around. We managed to improve his diet, get him to accept new toys, and his personality began to bloom. After 6 months I could get him to step up on my finger and not immediately fly away. So please don't get discouraged just yet. Just throw your expectations out the window so you can learn to go by Ricky's pace. Good luck!

rielle

Moving in
Real Name
Rielle Want
thanks to everyone here for the responses, i will try everything listed here. i will put on some cafe/relaxation music for him, not too loud but maybe as some ambience.

i always let the bird know i am in the room by singing to him or whistling, to make sure he knows i am not trying to hide myself.

to lunalovebird; i live in the sutherland area, of sydney. i will definitely try to read to him. i often drop small bites of banana into his foodbowl (i have noticed that he really likes banana), he gets to them once i move away but he does eat them.

to doublete; thank you, i will certainly give reading to him a try - i will have to find a book i would enjoy, and ricky as well!

to sunnysmom; yes, his cage is placed against a wall. to the right of his cage is a door to the next room, and to the left is the flyscreen/glass slider door, for a good amount of fresh air. he cannot see directly outside, but the breeze is always flowing through here. thank you, i will certainly take your advice!

to cassiesdad; i am determined to give this bird a chance. i think i only considered reselling him due to thinking he was untrainable due to his past, but i think you have all opened up my eyes a little bit. i hope ricky becomes comfortable with me, i really want to treat him the way he deserves.

to iamwhoiam; i know, i know - i'm doing my best to make sure he is comfortable in his environment. we had visitors today, i was anxious they would worry him so i kept them away from his cage.

to calpurnia; i completely agree with you. don't worry, i don't think you are attacking me, it's all good. very very good advice that i will take to mind. i hope to post more updates here about ricky's progress :)

thanks so much everyone, i appreciate you for taking the time to read this and help me. thank you thank you thank you!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He is in good hand and I know in time he will learn to trust you. baby steps and he will come around. reading to him daily and takings things slowly with him showing him he is not going to be hurt again like he was is a good start.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Thank you for taking such a sweet baby from what sounds like a terrible situation. He's definitely a young ring neck. Ringnecks tend to be very anxious birds anyway. You'll have a long road ahead, as this little baby has to learn that humans can be nice, and your hands are kind and caring. He'll come around eventually. He's absolutely adorable too.:heart:

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
thanks to everyone here for the responses, i will try everything listed here. i will put on some cafe/relaxation music for him, not too loud but maybe as some ambience.

i always let the bird know i am in the room by singing to him or whistling, to make sure he knows i am not trying to hide myself.

to lunalovebird; i live in the sutherland area, of sydney. i will definitely try to read to him. i often drop small bites of banana into his foodbowl (i have noticed that he really likes banana), he gets to them once i move away but he does eat them.

to doublete; thank you, i will certainly give reading to him a try - i will have to find a book i would enjoy, and ricky as well!

to sunnysmom; yes, his cage is placed against a wall. to the right of his cage is a door to the next room, and to the left is the flyscreen/glass slider door, for a good amount of fresh air. he cannot see directly outside, but the breeze is always flowing through here. thank you, i will certainly take your advice!

to cassiesdad; i am determined to give this bird a chance. i think i only considered reselling him due to thinking he was untrainable due to his past, but i think you have all opened up my eyes a little bit. i hope ricky becomes comfortable with me, i really want to treat him the way he deserves.

to iamwhoiam; i know, i know - i'm doing my best to make sure he is comfortable in his environment. we had visitors today, i was anxious they would worry him so i kept them away from his cage.

to calpurnia; i completely agree with you. don't worry, i don't think you are attacking me, it's all good. very very good advice that i will take to mind. i hope to post more updates here about ricky's progress :)

thanks so much everyone, i appreciate you for taking the time to read this and help me. thank you thank you thank you!!!
Thank you so much for giving Ricky a chance! Everything you're doing now sounds perfect. Can't wait to hear more about your progress in the future. :) And please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
:hello1::welcomeavenue:

Like everyone else said it will just take time. It does sound like he is starting to get use to you.
Have you tried to see if he will come out of the cage on his own. Bird get territorial over their cage. But when they get out they can be fine.
You can use a stick or perch to hold & have him step up onto it. I just watched a video on youtube about doing this.
Animal Planet Montana has some really good videos with tips.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to AA. You've been given great advice, so I don't really have much to add - except to say that we love pictures here.
PS. I live in the Shire too :)

rielle

Moving in
Real Name
Rielle Want
hey! just wanted to update you all on ricky's situation. it's been nearly 3 weeks since we took him home.

lemme say i'm seeing no improvement AT ALL now. in fact he's worse than before.

he keeps trying to shove his head through the bars in the cage to try and get away from me. i'm sitting next to his cage right now, i have been for almost 3 hours. he hasn't calmed down since, he's been frantically screeching every time i even move or look his way. i just want to see a little bit of calm behavior or at least a sign that he's becoming more comfortable. it's actually kinda upsetting, and very very frustrating, i don't show that to him though.

food coaxing does not work. he won't accept food from me at all. i try putting apple/banana/other fruits on a fork and standing about two feet away from the cage. i talk to him in a calm voice, moving a little closer with the food, making sure he sees it. nothing. he just desperately moves away.

i've tried reading books to him on multiple occasions, i sing to him whenever i enter the room, talk to him all the time, i put calming music on when i'm not around, i even change his food where he can see me doing so.

i'm getting desperate, i can't take him out of his cage while he's like this.... i can't socialize this bird when it won't even look at me without desperately trying to get away.

i can barely change his food without him screeching and flapping about frantically. it scares me.

i really need help. i'm getting kinda sad about this whole bird thing. i'm trying to be patient but this bird is not cooperating with me. :(

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Ringnecks can be tough birds. They go "wild" much quicker than other birds do, from what I've read. Still, three weeks is not long. It can take months. I know it seems futile, but it will improve. You're doing great.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sorry you're having a hard time with Ricky. As @LunaLovebird said, three weeks is not a long time...and when you don't see any apparent improvement in the situation, it can be tremendously disheartening.

You're doing an excellent job with Ricky...IRNs can be prickly pears, but with time, the situation will become easier. Hang in there with him..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
he keeps trying to shove his head through the bars in the cage to try and get away from me. i'm sitting next to his cage right now, i have been for almost 3 hours. he hasn't calmed down since, he's been frantically screeching every time i even move or look his way.
My apologies for having to contradict some of the advice given to you, as it's not good advice for this situation.

It can take months, if not years, of work before you may be able to see a tame bird. Three weeks is, unfortunately, not a long time. Add in the bad advice, you're only making the situation worse.

First order of business, no more sitting next to the cage!

It would be like taking someone who has arachnophobia and forcing them to sit next to a spider, in a calm manner. It's not going to happen!

Instead of sitting next to the cage, try ten feet away. If Ricky is okay with that, then try 9 feet, then 8 feet, then 7 feet, etc. You'll know if Ricky is okay with how close you are based on his behavior. He should be relaxed, willing to eat food, preen, beak grind, etc.

You are too close the *MOMENT* Ricky begins looking for an escape route. You'll see this if Ricky leans back or starts looking around. If you see this, stop and step back!

food coaxing does not work. he won't accept food from me at all. i try putting apple/banana/other fruits on a fork and standing about two feet away from the cage. i talk to him in a calm voice, moving a little closer with the food, making sure he sees it. nothing. he just desperately moves away.
Again, too close. If you can approach the cage in a manner that Ricky doesn't feel threatened (may require looking to the side, not directly at Ricky), then drop a treat in the cage and back up 5 or more feet. Maybe even turn to the side. Just don't stare directly at him. The more comfortable he becomes with you, the more you can be nearer to him.

i've tried reading books to him on multiple occasions, i sing to him whenever i enter the room, talk to him all the time, i put calming music on when i'm not around, i even change his food where he can see me doing so.
Most of these only work if he's calm. He's not. Ricky is on high alert. Not saying you should stop! Just, they wont do much until he starts to accept you a little. Even then, you may only see *tiny* amounts of progress.

i'm getting desperate, i can't take him out of his cage while he's like this.... i can't socialize this bird when it won't even look at me without desperately trying to get away.
I don't recommend taking him out anyway! As long as the cage is fairly large, there is no reason to take him out!

If you take Ricky out, he freaks out and starts thrashing around trying to get away from you, and you freak out, not knowing how to handle the situation, you'll only cause Ricky to become even more fearful than he already is.

If Ricky could come out calmly and you knew how to handle the situation (i.e. don't chase him), then coming out of the cage would be great! Right now though, that wont work in his favor, let alone yours.

i can barely change his food without him screeching and flapping about frantically. it scares me.
I have Sylphie, a wild caught african ringneck. I can understand your frustration! Except, with her, right now I've chosen *not* to work with her because she *is* wild caught. I don't feel that she should be in a pet situation, and if I could, I would put her into an aviary with others like her! Unfortunately, that doesn't exist where I'm at!

She is at a point though that she will sit on a perch while I change her food and water. It wasn't always like this. She used to always avoid me (still does, but to a lesser extent) and try to shove her head through the cage bars. Of course, her head doesn't fit! Nor does her body, for that matter! But she has calmed down since being with me. At one point in time, I could sit 2' away from the cage and she would eat while in front of me.

I had Sylphie in one half of a double flight cage. For a while, I had moved her into an aviary. (inside aviary, same room) I put the double flight cage door up to the aviary and allowed her to fly out of the flight cage and into the aviary. When I decided to move her back to a single flight, I moved the single flight into the aviary and set the cage up as a trap. For reasons unknown to me, she happily went in! Closed the door from outside of the aviary, went in, latched it, then pulled the flight cage out of the aviary.

There's been 3 times that Sylphie has gotten out of the flight cage and has tried to get back into the aviary. Each time she got out, I was able to get her back in, hands free. I didn't grab her or use a towel.

When I go to change her food and water, I move slowly. Sometimes I even tap on things which kind of distracts her and makes her curious. Once I figured out how to get her on her top perch (rather than clinging to the side of the cage - not necessarily ideal), I "changed" my behavior. I wont enter the cage unless she's on the top perch. Now, it would be nice to enter the cage if she's on a different perch, but I know she's not comfortable with that. If I move things around, again, I do so slowly. I don't look directly at her if I'm doing things in her cage. She's still uncomfortable, still doesn't like my presence, but she's not thrashing around in her cage.

This took *TIME* as well as trying to evaluate my own behavior to make her more comfortable.

Please, read the links in the following thread. In particular, look at Hillary Hankey's Learning Parrots blog. There are some great posts in there about working with fearful birds! Barbara Heidenreich also has good posts! Any of that info!
Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
It seems it will take a little longer than usual for him to get over how he was treated prior to being with you. He simply does not trust humans...and why should he. Do his feed door open from the outside of the cage? If so, use those instead of reaching in. When I first got Kiwi I ignored her until she seemed comfortable with my presence. By that, I mean...I did not force my attention on her. I left her door open and placed toys on top the cage. In no time at all she would come out to play with her toys. I did not try to get her to step up onto my finger after that because she still seemed a little weary of me..however I did get her to step up and a homemade perch. After she saw I was not a threat and meant her no harm and all good things came from me...food, toys, treats..she decided she trusted me. She is now 8 months old and we have a great relationship. I respect her space and when she decides she wants me she sits on the edge of her cage and calls to me. I also come over to her and talk to her while she plays and we play peekaboo. By this time she completely ignores my hand when I have to clean something in her cage etc. She trust me not to reach in for her. IRN's are not generally cuddly birds. They do love attention but they are extremely independent. Kiwi always finds a way to let me know whats bothering her...she does not like changes, for example if I forget to place her bathtub on top her cage in the morning she will scream to high heaven until I do. IRN"s are wonderful birds, I hope you don't give up. Let this new little guy have some space and forget about whatever perceived expectations you may have had. HE just might want a little room to breath and take everything in. Open her/his door and ignore him (spying on him in secret). If he was only less than three months when you got him he was REALLY young. Have you had him vet checked?

rielle

Moving in
Real Name
Rielle Want
he keeps trying to shove his head through the bars in the cage to try and get away from me. i'm sitting next to his cage right now, i have been for almost 3 hours. he hasn't calmed down since, he's been frantically screeching every time i even move or look his way.
My apologies for having to contradict some of the advice given to you, as it's not good advice for this situation.

It can take months, if not years, of work before you may be able to see a tame bird. Three weeks is, unfortunately, not a long time. Add in the bad advice, you're only making the situation worse.

First order of business, no more sitting next to the cage!

It would be like taking someone who has arachnophobia and forcing them to sit next to a spider, in a calm manner. It's not going to happen!

Instead of sitting next to the cage, try ten feet away. If Ricky is okay with that, then try 9 feet, then 8 feet, then 7 feet, etc. You'll know if Ricky is okay with how close you are based on his behavior. He should be relaxed, willing to eat food, preen, beak grind, etc.

You are too close the *MOMENT* Ricky begins looking for an escape route. You'll see this if Ricky leans back or starts looking around. If you see this, stop and step back!

Again, too close. If you can approach the cage in a manner that Ricky doesn't feel threatened (may require looking to the side, not directly at Ricky), then drop a treat in the cage and back up 5 or more feet. Maybe even turn to the side. Just don't stare directly at him. The more comfortable he becomes with you, the more you can be nearer to him.

Most of these only work if he's calm. He's not. Ricky is on high alert. Not saying you should stop! Just, they wont do much until he starts to accept you a little. Even then, you may only see *tiny* amounts of progress.

I don't recommend taking him out anyway! As long as the cage is fairly large, there is no reason to take him out!

If you take Ricky out, he freaks out and starts thrashing around trying to get away from you, and you freak out, not knowing how to handle the situation, you'll only cause Ricky to become even more fearful than he already is.

If Ricky could come out calmly and you knew how to handle the situation (i.e. don't chase him), then coming out of the cage would be great! Right now though, that wont work in his favor, let alone yours.

I have Sylphie, a wild caught african ringneck. I can understand your frustration! Except, with her, right now I've chosen *not* to work with her because she *is* wild caught. I don't feel that she should be in a pet situation, and if I could, I would put her into an aviary with others like her! Unfortunately, that doesn't exist where I'm at!

She is at a point though that she will sit on a perch while I change her food and water. It wasn't always like this. She used to always avoid me (still does, but to a lesser extent) and try to shove her head through the cage bars. Of course, her head doesn't fit! Nor does her body, for that matter! But she has calmed down since being with me. At one point in time, I could sit 2' away from the cage and she would eat while in front of me.

I had Sylphie in one half of a double flight cage. For a while, I had moved her into an aviary. (inside aviary, same room) I put the double flight cage door up to the aviary and allowed her to fly out of the flight cage and into the aviary. When I decided to move her back to a single flight, I moved the single flight into the aviary and set the cage up as a trap. For reasons unknown to me, she happily went in! Closed the door from outside of the aviary, went in, latched it, then pulled the flight cage out of the aviary.

There's been 3 times that Sylphie has gotten out of the flight cage and has tried to get back into the aviary. Each time she got out, I was able to get her back in, hands free. I didn't grab her or use a towel.

When I go to change her food and water, I move slowly. Sometimes I even tap on things which kind of distracts her and makes her curious. Once I figured out how to get her on her top perch (rather than clinging to the side of the cage - not necessarily ideal), I "changed" my behavior. I wont enter the cage unless she's on the top perch. Now, it would be nice to enter the cage if she's on a different perch, but I know she's not comfortable with that. If I move things around, again, I do so slowly. I don't look directly at her if I'm doing things in her cage. She's still uncomfortable, still doesn't like my presence, but she's not thrashing around in her cage.

This took *TIME* as well as trying to evaluate my own behavior to make her more comfortable.

Please, read the links in the following thread. In particular, look at Hillary Hankey's Learning Parrots blog. There are some great posts in there about working with fearful birds! Barbara Heidenreich also has good posts! Any of that info!
Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
thank you for the advice, i will take all of this into account. me and my dad bought lots of new things for him, including a bird box (his cage is very large) with hay, hanging food treats, etc. i have some small chew toys on the way as well.

i'll give ricky space from now on. i don't make eye contact with him, i try my best not to intimidate him. i'll watch for fearful behavior and back off.

i hope to see progress in the next few months. i'm often home by myself (i used to live with five cats, they were my best friends til i moved away, they proved good for my mental health) and it does get a lil lonely without pets, i hope i can make a good companion out of ricky. he is quite playful, and he has groomed/stretched/played in front of me before, but the next day it seems as though i'm a threat again.

his squeals are quite startling, he often sounds them when he hears birds chattering outside or, as previously mentioned, when i change his food or approach him.

It seems it will take a little longer than usual for him to get over how he was treated prior to being with you. He simply does not trust humans...and why should he. Do his feed door open from the outside of the cage? If so, use those instead of reaching in. When I first got Kiwi I ignored her until she seemed comfortable with my presence. By that, I mean...I did not force my attention on her. I left her door open and placed toys on top the cage. In no time at all she would come out to play with her toys. I did not try to get her to step up onto my finger after that because she still seemed a little weary of me..however I did get her to step up and a homemade perch. After she saw I was not a threat and meant her no harm and all good things came from me...food, toys, treats..she decided she trusted me. She is now 8 months old and we have a great relationship. I respect her space and when she decides she wants me she sits on the edge of her cage and calls to me. I also come over to her and talk to her while she plays and we play peekaboo. By this time she completely ignores my hand when I have to clean something in her cage etc. She trust me not to reach in for her. IRN's are not generally cuddly birds. They do love attention but they are extremely independent. Kiwi always finds a way to let me know whats bothering her...she does not like changes, for example if I forget to place her bathtub on top her cage in the morning she will scream to high heaven until I do. IRN"s are wonderful birds, I hope you don't give up. Let this new little guy have some space and forget about whatever perceived expectations you may have had. HE just might want a little room to breath and take everything in. Open her/his door and ignore him (spying on him in secret). If he was only less than three months when you got him he was REALLY young. Have you had him vet checked?
she sounds super cute!!! also, we have not gotten him checked. i'm kinda scared the vet will get bitten or assume that WE have been abusing him. he seems healthy, no runny nose or feather plucking/foot chewing. it might be good to take him at some point though. i don't force my attention on ricky, i simply act as a presence around his cage, sitting at the table across from him etc.

i am attached to him already, but he is still terrified of me. :'(

my feelings are very confused.

i am unsure on his age. he is more than 5 weeks, i assume 10-12 weeks old. still very young. the seller told us he was 3 weeks old.

-rielle