• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long billed corella help

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Not sure if this belongs here but I am being given a long billed corella (13months) which was rescued as a baby after it attempted to fly into a tree but fell and refused to fly for days until it was taken inside and cared for by my neighbours (it just waited at the bottom of that tree for days). I have a cage which is more then big enough and am just asking for any feeding tips, care etc (the bird still refuses to fly and refuses to return to the wild)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the bird was injured it may not be able to fly and depending on how old it was when rescued it may not have the survival skills needed to return to the wild unfortunately.
Any chance it’s been checked by an AV?

I will move your thread to the cockatoo section where lots of cockatoo owners will advise you on best foods and housing etc.

Thank you for helping this bird :)

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I'm not sure of the diet because of it living in the wild, but a general rule of cages is to get the biggest you can afford. No cage is big enough compared to being free in the wild, so the biggest you can get will have to do. Make sure it's got a variety of different perches and toys. He may want part of it covered to hide in for a bit if he's a wild animal, but not the whole thing. It's probably stressed, thank you for helping!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This bird is not wild anymore and because it was so young and on its own it will never be ready for the wild.

What does this bird eat now? A healthy nutritious diet is pretty standard across the board for most birds and something that really needs to be established. Start with a good quality pellet. Your questions aren't very specific.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for helping this bird. What is your cage made of? You have to be careful that you're using correct metal as birds can get metal toxicity. They're chewers. They also should have a variety of perches not just dowel perches. He'd probably appreciate some natural wood perches. As for food, a feed my cockatoo a combination of seeds, pellets, and vegetables. A little bit of fruit. And he adores nuts. Something like almonds in a shell, where they can work for their food can add some enrichment.