• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long-Billed Corella Digging

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I saw this lovely old long-billed corella digging a hole. It was one of his favourite pass time at the sanctuary. I thought other cockatoo fans might enjoy.

They refill his hole each night and he is back at it the next day. It was a deep enough hole that he could go completely under it. Maybe a new game for your cockatoos, a little digging.

IMG_7288.JPG

He took a break for a snack.

IMG_7294.JPG

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I took pictures of four cockatoos and corellas doing the exact same thing a few months ago......I deleted them without meaning to so I never got to share them. They really seem to have a blast digging such big holes and playing in them :heart:

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Do they nest at ground level? Could it be an instinctual drive to make a nesting cavity?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do they nest at ground level? Could it be an instinctual drive to make a nesting cavity?
No they nest in trees but everyone I know of here with cockatoos of any kind who are housed outside with an earth floor have loved to dig holes. My grandfather’s one started doing it for the grass roots and bugs that he ate but then it was like he enjoyed it and just kept digging lol.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cockatoos are cavity nesters. A cavity is a cavity and can be on the ground or in a tree.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can not say I have ever heard, seen or read of any cockatoos actually nesting in holes in the ground. Cavities in hollow trees yes but if they nested on the ground here I can guarantee we would not have as many of them as we do....... our foxes would be clearing them up. They do get a great kick out of digging up everything while they are foraging for roots and bugs including the gravel chunks out of the roads here....see them removing bits of road fairly often while scrounging for the grains that have fallen out of the grain trucks lol.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
They nest in cavities in trees. Kakapo nest in cavities in the ground
The female kakapo lays 1–4 eggs per breeding cycle, with several days between eggs. She nests on the ground under the cover of plants or in cavities such as hollow tree trunks. The female incubates the eggs.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They nest in cavities in trees. Kakapo nest in cavities in the ground
The female kakapo lays 1–4 eggs per breeding cycle, with several days between eggs. She nests on the ground under the cover of plants or in cavities such as hollow tree trunks. The female incubates the eggs.
I absolutely love the kakapos..... the way they look, the way they move, the differences between them and other parrots amazes me. Every now and then I just out of the blue go looking for kakapo footage- it always warms my heart and leaves me with a big smile :heart:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I absolutely love the kakapos..... the way they look, the way they move, the differences between them and other parrots amazes me. Every now and then I just out of the blue go looking for kakapo footage- it always warms my heart and leaves me with a big smile :heart:
Yes they are quite interesting species.