• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lonely budgie

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi alle bird lovers! It's a long time since I visited!
We lost Merlin yesterday. He was in a bad condition since the Summer, had hurt his head by flying into a wall (?), probably because he was blind on one side. I was certain he would die then, his head being bent and such, but he lived through the year until December when I discovered a lump behind his other eye, that became infected. We managed to hold the infection down but it came back so the vet tried to open, hoping it was an lump of pus. Unfortunately it was a tumor so he was put to sleep. I feel this is for the best, he had been on hold for some time now and I am glad he isn't suffering anymore. :heart:

But then, this leaves Nova. She hasn't said much since his passing, and only began to fly a little this evening. However I know she will become lonely, and since she isn't tame, she goes and tries to flock with other birds. Her flock was Merlin, and Pichu (parrotlet) from a distance, since Pichu believes he is human and doesn't want to have the other birds near him. Nova has tried to hang on the outside of his cage before and she had been told this was not allowed, so she had stopped. But then, at bed time this evening, she went there again.

I'm afraid this is going to be a problem. Pichu is mostly afraid of her and he hides in his cage, showing clearly he wants her gone. So far he has never been aggressive, only displaying how big and scary he is, but I know lonely budgies can be very insistent and intrusive so I am prepared to see this happen more and more.

If it comes to it, I am prepared to find a new home for her but not just yet. She just lost Merlin and I don't want her to lose her home too, but I know of a former breeder who has a beautiful aviary where the birds can be both inside and outside. Since she isn't tame I feel this would be a nice place to be, it is a plan B if she becomes unhappy on her own in our home, but this can't happen before the Spring. It is very cold her in Winter and she has been an inside bird so far.

My focus now is to help her through the loss and keep her entertained so she won't plague Pichu and risk being injured. Any idea?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry for your loss. Have you thought about getting another budgie?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no. Not Merlin :( I am very sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

Poor Nova. Are their any budgies up for adoption in your area?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for your loss

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry for your loss. Fly high little Merlin. If no other birds are in your future then I would allow her to grieve in her home and then rehome her. She can be tamed but it would be difficult. Perhaps other budgies would be best. I would most definitely allow her until spring though. Perhaps you may change your mind by then...;). if not then this would likely be best for her.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Sorry to hear of Merlin's passing. You did everything you could for him.
If you aren't interested in any more budgies, or any other birds, yes, I would keep her until the spring when it will be warmer and then she can be with other budgies.
For now, she is comfortable there, and although missing her friend, she feels secure.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

I think either staying with you as a solo bird or joining the aviary would be nice. I find budgies are more balanced with a friend though.

I also wanted to add that I support your decision for these to be your last birds. It can’t have been an easy one. The older I get, the more I realize the truth of that there are seasons to life. Perhaps your bird season is passing. Fighting against these natural transitions only leads to grief, from what I’ve seen.

:hug8:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I am so sorry for your loss. Fly high little Merlin. If no other birds are in your future then I would allow her to grieve in her home and then rehome her. She can be tamed but it would be difficult. Perhaps other budgies would be best. I would most definitely allow her until spring though. Perhaps you may change your mind by then...;). if not then this would likely be best for her.
thanks, I agree. We'll see how it goes :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

I think either staying with you as a solo bird or joining the aviary would be nice. I find budgies are more balanced with a friend though.

I also wanted to add that I support your decision for these to be your last birds. It can’t have been an easy one. The older I get, the more I realize the truth of that there are seasons to life. Perhaps your bird season is passing. Fighting against these natural transitions only leads to grief, from what I’ve seen.

:hug8:
Thank you, yes the birds came into our lives because the kids wanted a dog... we agreed on birds, then guinea pigs came along... As expected, I am the one taking care of both pets and kids. It's nice, but it is a responsibility and a problem when we want to leave for the week end or vacations. Our family is in another country, which mean we can't just visit for the afternoon, and last Summer was tough on Pichu as this was his first time being kept in his cage for so long and without us. Merlin and Nova had eachother's company, although they had separate cages, but Pichu relies very much on his humans. So when these two are gone, my kids will be on their way out too. I plan on living a bit more freely then. Pets season has been and is still nice, but life goes on.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :sorrow:

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I'm sorry for your loss.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I am so very sorry about Merlin. I don't really have much in the way of ideas, but wanted to give you a :bighug:

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
UPPDATE:
Thanks for all your kind words!
It's been a couple of weeks now, and Nova is doing fine. She invades Pichu's cage but mostly when he is out, to steal his seeds :D At first I thought she just loved his house (little wooden toy my kids had, that I transformed into a feeder) so I moved it to her cage. She sits beside it at night and just seems to love it. :xflove: But she also loves the seeds and when she's eaten up her daily serving, she makes it clear she wants more, or she snicks into Pichu's pantry.
With Merlin gone she seems to have realised that we exist and are OK too. She will fly closer to try and approach Pichu (who hides on my shoulder) or would land on her door (so very close to me) when it's seed-time.
So all in all, we are fine. :)