• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lonely bird?

Pistachio1

Meeting neighbors
Hello avianaians! Just an update on mango. Been keeping mango at home and in an enclosed balcony that is outside and she is doing terrific! (I think its a she because she preens me a not and it hurts, how do i stop it?) I've been thinking about getting another lovebird to keep it company, but i am unsure of what i should do. Sometimes i just wish mango had a partner to keep each other company. But some say otherwise as they might fight. I need some advice or guidance from you seasoned veterans if you could spare me some :)
ours used to preen us and bite our ears. I'm pretty sure he (or she) wasn't trying to hurt us, and just didn't realize that hurt. We just took him off our shoulder when he did that and walked away, and after a few times he stopped doing that.

he still preens my hair and beard lightly, and sometimes the ear but only a tiny bit. he learned we don't like that, and the behavior stopped. he's on my shoulder much of the day while I'm working, and behaves very well. You can probably get Mango to stop hurting you too.

also.. did you really take Mango hiking? if so, how did it go? Idk what the odds are of Pistachio being lost forever if I took him outside, but I wouldn't take the risk.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Preening is how birds clean/straighten out their feathers, therefore both genders do this.
Honestly, I think you are too new to having a bird to add another one in to the mix so quickly. And like you said, if you got another lovebird there is no guarantee they would get along.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
And like you said, if you got another lovebird there is no guarantee they would get along.
Exactly there is no guarantee for the lovebird's safety new one or an old one. To be surprised waking up to find one of them being killed. My bonded pair one who died was being abused by his partner. Feather plucking & deep bites.

Never put them together in a cage if you plan on getting another one. Never leave them alone while they are out of the cage. My current two lovebirds to this day can’t get along.

So right now I let them out of the cage separately to avoid any accidents. Which is the best solution.

D.Chu

Meeting neighbors
ours used to preen us and bite our ears. I'm pretty sure he (or she) wasn't trying to hurt us, and just didn't realize that hurt. We just took him off our shoulder when he did that and walked away, and after a few times he stopped doing that.

he still preens my hair and beard lightly, and sometimes the ear but only a tiny bit. he learned we don't like that, and the behavior stopped. he's on my shoulder much of the day while I'm working, and behaves very well. You can probably get Mango to stop hurting you too.

also.. did you really take Mango hiking? if so, how did it go? Idk what the odds are of Pistachio being lost forever if I took him outside, but I wouldn't take the risk.
I didnt really take mango hiking as there were many people from refraining that. However, i took him for a walk near my house forest area. It seems to be happy and it always keeps and eye out for me if mango flies away. But same as me, i will keep an eye out too and when it flies too far, i have a whistle that helps me capture its attention and it always know when to come back.

I just took in one of mango's sibling today. And its about 3 weeks old. How i was able to feed mango previously is because he was handfed since he was born so no issue there. Now with mango's new sibling, its afraid of me and does not want to eat from the syringe. How do i get it to calm down and not be afraid? I try my best not to make any sudden movements or scare it but it doesnt seems like it does not want to calm down. I know its not an overnight thing to get trust from a bird, but i would like to know the proper method as it still does not know how to eat on its own. Thanks in advance for the help

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I didnt really take mango hiking as there were many people from refraining that. However, i took him for a walk near my house forest area. It seems to be happy and it always keeps and eye out for me if mango flies away. But same as me, i will keep an eye out too and when it flies too far, i have a whistle that helps me capture its attention and it always know when to come back.

I just took in one of mango's sibling today. And its about 3 weeks old. How i was able to feed mango previously is because he was handfed since he was born so no issue there. Now with mango's new sibling, its afraid of me and does not want to eat from the syringe. How do i get it to calm down and not be afraid? I try my best not to make any sudden movements or scare it but it doesnt seems like it does not want to calm down. I know its not an overnight thing to get trust from a bird, but i would like to know the proper method as it still does not know how to eat on its own. Thanks in advance for the help
This is going to sound harsh, but it was a terrible idea to give you an unweaned bird. You are inexperienced with birds in general, so this is asking for trouble. I don’t think you should have gotten another bird so quickly to begin with, so I would definitely recommend giving it back for now at least.

D.Chu

Meeting neighbors
This is going to sound harsh, but it was a terrible idea to give you an unweaned bird. You are inexperienced with birds in general, so this is asking for trouble. I don’t think you should have gotten another bird so quickly to begin with, so I would definitely recommend giving it back for now at least.
I actually didnt want the bird in the first place, it was because the parents were biting the baby bird and my uncle saw wounds on the bird. So most likely the parents were biting they baby bird. Thats why i took it in. So i have to make this work. But i just need a little guidance to tame the baby bird which is about 3-4 weeks old

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I don't have any other experience with baby birds, but I think @Ripshod deos

Pat H

Real Name
Pat

I LIKE the whistle idea! I used to have a special whistle tune [from my mouth, but a physical whistle is probably better/ louder]... that I would do in front of my birds... so in case they got loose, I could whistle the tune and hopefully it would guide them home...

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
@Zara may be able to help on the feeding aspect as well. She has raised baby lovies…just tagged her and hopefully she is on soon, depending on the time difference, she is located in Spain

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But i just need a little guidance to tame the baby bird which is about 3-4 weeks old
You don´t ¨tame¨ a 3-4 week old baby lovebird.

I think its a she because she preens me a not and it hurts, how do i stop it?
I don´t know why you think your bird is a girl because of preening? I would keep your mind open to this bird being male or female.

I disagree with you taking your lovebird outdoors without a harness, and I disagree with bringing home an unweaned bird as a novice. However, my heart breaks for the baby bird, so my advice is to find a breeder nearby and give them the bird to raise. 3 weeks old require brooding in an incubator as they are unable to regulate their own body temperature, and need fed +5 times a day.
If you can´t find a breeder, get in touch with a vet and ask they show you how to feed the bird. It is important you learn this skill and I recommend starting with a small spoon.