• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lone zebra finch

curr0164

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I had two zebra finches but one got into a room he wasn't supposed to be in and flew into a mirror. Unfortunately he did not survive and I am left with a single boy. He is 4 years old and I am unable to find a new friend due to the avian flu causing a shortage in my area. It's been a month and a half and the survivor is actually more active than before. Eating, bathing, squeaking and has regular crazy flights around his room. Do you think it would be okay to leave it as is and let him alone?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very sorry for your loss, what a terrible accident.

When I adopted Zippy he lived alone for about 3 months before I got Peppy. I think in the situation you are in, it is doable. However you will be his only form of companionship. I used this wildlife sounds youtube for Zippy when I left the house. He seemed to like it and chattered at it. Hopefully in the future another finch is available for adoption so your little guy doesn't need to be alone too long.

curr0164

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
That's good to hear. I work from home so Pip is rarely alone. I've saved the video to try out when I go out for errands and such.
I'm calling every week to see if any boys come in, fingers crossed.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That's good to hear. I work from home so Pip is rarely alone. I've saved the video to try out when I go out for errands and such.
I'm calling every week to see if any boys come in, fingers crossed.
I work from home too. That was exactly what I did, played it when I ran to the shops etc. :) Lucky little Pip to have such a caring hooman.

curr0164

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I know this is a second question, don't know if it should be a new thread but most places around here sell 1 yr old finches. As Pip is around 4, will that make a difference? Should I be looking for one his age?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know this is a second question, don't know if it should be a new thread but most places around here sell 1 yr old finches. As Pip is around 4, will that make a difference? Should I be looking for one his age?
As long as they are both adult birds they should be fine together. The most important thing for matching is trying to find the same personality: a more relaxed bird with a more relaxed bird, a more hyper bird with a more hyper bird. This way they can handle one another's ways and not overwhelm each other.

Hope this tip helps :)

RatKave

Strolling the yard
I used to have zebra finches. I'm my opinion mxf pairs so better than the same gender. do have have pictures of your little guy?

curr0164

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I thought about MxF but didn't want to risk eggs and babies. My boys got along very well, snuggled together at night and shared their snacks together. Just noticed the poop on my knee in the picture, sorry about that.

Attachments

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Yea, I ended up with babies with mine, but if you don't offer a nest and toss any eggs that do end up happening it avoids babies.

He is so cute. Is he hand tamed? I'm assuming so, I've been trying with my canaries with little result haha. He reminds me of the male I used to have, his name was Stew haha

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I thought about MxF but didn't want to risk eggs and babies. My boys got along very well, snuggled together at night and shared their snacks together. Just noticed the poop on my knee in the picture, sorry about that.
He is adorable!

My boys get along well too. It is fine to keep the same sex together. :)

curr0164

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Yea, I ended up with babies with mine, but if you don't offer a nest and toss any eggs that do end up happening it avoids babies.

He is so cute. Is he hand tamed? I'm assuming so, I've been trying with my canaries with little result haha. He reminds me of the male I used to have, his name was Stew haha
Stew is such a cute name. Pip isn't fully trained, it's more he just comes to see me when he feels like it. His favorite perch when he does come over is my big toe when I'm stretched out on the couch.

I'd feel so bad tossing eggs, I know a lot of people do it and that's fine but it feels so bad.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe, big toe would be the best perch.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Same gender works, but for me they fight more. Stews cagemate was Potato. My canaries flit to my shoulder sometimes but only for a second.

I've had to toss eggs for my canaries but if you don't offer a nest they tend not to lay and if they do they normally eat the egg.

curr0164

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Finally found a buddy, thinking of naming him Goose because he makes more of a honking noise. Have him in my bedroom in a makeshift cage, unfortunately I forgot to close the door this morning before letting Pip out for his fly and quarantine was definitely broken. :( Got them separate again and praying all is good because it's 3+ week wait for the avian vet near me.

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Awww good luck with Goose. What did Pip think him? They should probably be fine as long as they didn't make contact or touch food or water.

curr0164

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
They kind of just stared from across the room. Pip couldn't really get close due to the layout but it was the most vocal he's been in a while.
No contact with anything in Goose's cage so that's good to hear. :tup:

RatKave

Strolling the yard
Pip sounds like he's interested in his new bird buddy. They normally can't contract anything if they are far away from each other. The main cause for concern is if they touch each other, something the other one ate or drank or feces, so you should be fine.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am sorry there was a QT hiccup. Hopefully nothing was passed.

I love the name Goose. Luckily little Pip!

When introducing the birds, after QT of course, make sure you completely re arrange Pips main cage, so that Goose and Pip are on equal territory. I introduced Zippy and Peppy outside of the cage after QT. Then rearranged the entire cage, new perches, altered the bowl placements, and change toys. When they were both added to the cage Zippy had to navigate the new digs the same as Peppy. It helps :)